Search similar:

uniqs
Cptbeatstix
join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX

1 recommendation

Cptbeatstix

Don't wait for blizzard.

Reading that post about that player in S. Korea made me really think. I guess we never really think about the kind of damage we do when we start trolling someone or telling them they suck at the game. I know I'm not perfect, but what happened to that guy on that server was just downright wrong.

I am going to start something and I hope that you guys are willing to do this as well. I'm going to start a guild on a random server. Start at level one. I want to make this guild as a Mentor guild. Not being a part of the blizzard program. Unfortunately, This program shouldn't even have to exist. This guild is going to consist of both a Horde side and Alliance side on the same server.

I'll go ahead and establish a set of guidelines that won't be tolerated.

-Family Oriented. Period.
-Absolutely NO trolling or demeaning a player for any reason.
-Patience. This can't be stressed enough.
-Full support towards newer players and older players.

If any of those guidelines are ever violated, it is an instant gkick. No questions, no explanations.

Sometimes it takes one event to happen to really see how it hurts a player to be so disliked.

If you guys are interested in helping me out with this, respond to this thread. Server suggestions are welcome. We'll start on a PvE server and may extend out towards PvP servers. I'm looking for a Medium to High pop server that has a decent horde/alliance balance. Let's help the people that need it. Remember, we were all noobs at one point in this game.

Caelharrad
join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO

1 edit

Caelharrad

I'm up for this. I mainly play as Alliance, but I can play Horde as well. I'm absolutely fine with the guidelines; I'm part of a VERY casual "friends and family" guild (wife, her sister, my brothers-in-law, a few friends of the family, plus everybody's alts). I have 3 kids, plus enough nieces and nephews that visit that the "family oriented" part won't be an issue.
The only potential problem for me might be that my available WoW time isn't huge... during the work week, I might find an hour or two, on a night or two. Maybe 4 or 5 hours time on the weekend, split up into several chunks. I have a main (my L90 dwarf hunter), plus 3 alts (L86 gnome DK, L66 dwarf shaman, L10 Belf warlock) that I get on occasionally. So I don't know how dedicated I could be - if I'm going to be expected to grind quests and dailies 2-3 hours a day to help level the guild, I'm not going to be a good fit.
As far as server - all my toons are currently on Garona, and I could recommend it as a good place to try this experiment. PvE server, CST timezone, medium-high pop, A/H ratio is currently about 2.5 to 1. Not a bad place to be. Even with the A/H ratio in Ally favor, Horde seem to take PvP more seriously... they take more than their fair share of battlegrounds. Auction House is fairly active. There's one "hardcore progression" guild on the server that I know of (Edge), but the whole server seems to be a bit more laid back than some I've heard of.

EDIT - by the way, you might want to change the topic title. From "Don't wait for Blizzard", I expected a complaint thread full of griping about how Blizz keeps screwing up PvP, or catering to casuals, or whatever the "whine of the week" seems to be.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to Cptbeatstix

Premium Member

to Cptbeatstix
I play alliance [any surprise?], and on the LLane server. It's a PvE server [of course].

What is meant by "Family Oriented"? No swearing or vulgar acts? Or family members only? [yes, I am a tad thick in the head, or so my wife is willing to remind me several times a day].

I would be willing to create a new toon, and start off fresh. But realize that I am a casual player, typically spending 1 to 2 hours a day [if that] in game.
As my main toons are on LLane, that is where I currently spend all my time.

Skittles
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31

Skittles to Cptbeatstix

Premium Member

to Cptbeatstix
I have 7 85s I deleted in Cata, any of which I can have restored. I would be willing to restore one and move it to a new server for this. Keep the board posted as to when and where we start this guild an I am in.

Meningitis
Hi
Premium Member
join:2009-03-06
Places

Meningitis to Cptbeatstix

Premium Member

to Cptbeatstix
I did a quick search and couldn't find what you're referencing. What happened to the player in S. Korea?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by Meningitis:

I did a quick search and couldn't find what you're referencing. What happened to the player in S. Korea?

»A worthwhile investment....

Meningitis
Hi
Premium Member
join:2009-03-06
Places

Meningitis

Premium Member

Thank you.

Phantasee
join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

Phantasee to Cptbeatstix

to Cptbeatstix
I'll be honest. I troll people some on WoW. But I know what lines not to cross. I never cross into the realm of cruel or racist. I try to keep it somewhat funny or mild.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

said by Phantasee:

I'll be honest. I troll people some on WoW. But I know what lines not to cross. I never cross into the realm of cruel or racist. I try to keep it somewhat funny or mild.

The hardest part of the game, for me, is being in a battleground, and people start to complain, and sooner or later everyone is chiming in with their two cents. It's very hard for me, to not get dragged into the mud, and start slinging.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

just remind yourself that those typing in /bg aren't doing anything because we all know that real PvP is accomplished by keybinds.
Josof
join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA

Josof

^true

emoting is the way to go in pvp ;P
cant particulary stand the bg hero who doesnt contribute to the group but post the most kills by gy campin but hey, what can you expect in a random bg.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

If there is ever a place where I will put on my troll cap... it's a random BG that I was forced to enter because blizzard thinks it's funny to occasionally tie PvE content to pvp. I will spend the entire time waiting for the GY rez trolling the self-appointed king/judge/ruler of BGs (given my gear... I spend a lot of time at the GY).

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Cptbeatstix

Premium Member

to Cptbeatstix
You haven't been on the internet long enough.

Good luck with your white knight effort.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Phantasee

Premium Member

to Phantasee
said by Phantasee:

I troll people some on WoW.

I never troll.

Ever.
Vinceruos_t
join:2012-05-04

Vinceruos_t to Cptbeatstix

to Cptbeatstix
This sounds retarded. Go play Hello Kitty Island Adventure. :P

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

That wasn't very nice.

Honestly, if there were ever a place that should be trolled, it's "Second Life". I absolutely cannot stand the people that "play" that game. It is disgusting.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

1 recommendation

Immer to Cptbeatstix

Premium Member

to Cptbeatstix
said by Cptbeatstix:

Reading that post about that player in S. Korea made me really think. I guess we never really think about the kind of damage we do when we start trolling someone or telling them they suck at the game. I know I'm not perfect, but what happened to that guy on that server was just downright wrong.

why not simply make the change in your own stomping grounds? It's tough to do... especially if you've done a good job of establishing yourself as one of the troll, provocateur or elitists... there are people in need everywhere. You don't need to try to affect an entire server all at once... just be sure to help that one person that crosses your path in need of some new shoes.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

1 recommendation

Exodus to Cptbeatstix

Premium Member

to Cptbeatstix
Can I join?

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

said by Exodus:

Can I join?

This guy ^ "just a straight shooter with upper management written all over him."

Anyone?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
said by Immer:

why not simply make the change in your own stomping grounds? It's tough to do... especially if you've done a good job of establishing yourself as one of the troll, provocateur or elitists... there are people in need everywhere. You don't need to try to affect an entire server all at once... just be sure to help that one person that crosses your path in need of some new shoes.

People still take the time to troll trade or general?

I doubt I am known on my server outside of my guild, and I have no desire to affect Mal'Ganis either way. My relax time is too important to me to either coach random idiots or to troll the bads. The little time I do spend in WoW is spent PVPing or raiding with guilties. I give no attention to random people I come across unless it is an exceptionally gifted PUG we pick up and spend a couple hours with on Skype while we clear bosses.

If people REALLY have so much free time on their hands that they are trying mentor complete strangers as a white-knight/feel-good-about-yourself-and-the-playerbase project, they should be volunteering their time at the local soup kitchen, at Big Brothers/Sisters, trying to raise awareness of human/sex trafficking, or supporting their favorite political issue or religious organization.

I touched on this recently in the other gaming forum, but activism or white-knighting in the computer gaming arena is extremely misguided at best, and possibly indicative of how far misguided our consumer-driven society has become, that we consider this sort of thing the quality of a "good citizen."

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

1 edit

Snuffbox to Cptbeatstix

Premium Member

to Cptbeatstix
I know your intentions are good, but it is much easier said than done.

The below ideas seem to conflict in my mind.
said by Cptbeatstix:

said by Cptbeatstix:

If any of those guidelines are ever violated, it is an instant gkick. No questions, no explanations.

This still reflects hardcore/elitist actions. To genuinely be a guild aimed at changing the atmosphere you will have to tollerate actions in order to change behaviors.

Agree/Disagree?

Phantasee
Hammond, LA

Phantasee to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

That wasn't very nice.

Honestly, if there were ever a place that should be trolled, it's "Second Life". I absolutely cannot stand the people that "play" that game. It is disgusting.

Effing agreed! And I don't even get my jimmies rustled when there are trolls or the equivalent. I guess I am always in a decent mood considering Earth, humans, government, Lil Wayne.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Man, you really should let go of this thing you have against helping people out in the digital realm. If you can't handle the notion, then don't participate. It's a bit hypocritical to champion the cause of ignoring everything that goes on in-game with strangers while chastising folks here that simply want to effect change.

How about you pull up your integrity pants and continue ignoring this white-knight epidemic in the same measure you ignore trolls in trade and general.

Anyway, it's good to see people wanting to help out other people.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Immer:

Man, you really should let go of this thing you have against helping people out in the digital realm. If you can't handle the notion, then don't participate. It's a bit hypocritical to champion the cause of ignoring everything that goes on in-game with strangers while chastising folks here that simply want to effect change.

How about you pull up your integrity pants and continue ignoring this white-knight epidemic in the same measure you ignore trolls in trade and general.

Anyway, it's good to see people wanting to help out other people.

Wow, talk about touching off a nerve.

Phantasee
Hammond, LA

Phantasee to Cptbeatstix

to Cptbeatstix
Good luck with your experiment. But the people of the Internet in the MMO realm will eat you alive.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to Snuffbox

Premium Member

to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

I know your intentions are good, but it is much easier said than done.

The below ideas seem to conflict in my mind.

said by Cptbeatstix:

said by Cptbeatstix:

This still reflects hardcore/elitist actions. To genuinely be a guild aimed at changing the atmosphere you will have to tollerate actions in order to change behaviors.

Agree/Disagree?

I agree. The toughest part about helping people out is sometimes they wrong you or each other... and you still need to provide correction in a graceful manner. Ever volunteer at a soup kitchen and witness one of the homeless be cruel to another? ugh... frustrating.

Phantasee
Hammond, LA

Phantasee to Cptbeatstix

to Cptbeatstix
And actually. The guild I am in with my alliance toon is JUST like your cause. It's family. Even have a handicap player and a 77 year old woman. My friend IRL is the GM and he even mutes me when I get out of hand.

I honestly prefer an open-minded adult friendly guild where I can be myself. But at the same time I do respect my guild because it has people in it that are not easily accepted IRL and it's all they have.

Rhenai
join:2010-09-07
Pensacola, FL

1 recommendation

Rhenai to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

said by Phantasee:

I troll people some on WoW.

I never troll.

Ever.

Get back under your bridge!

(jk)

Phantasee
Hammond, LA

Phantasee to Cptbeatstix

to Cptbeatstix
Not to mention what I do for a living everyday is, literally, White Knight work and at the end of the day you just want to unwind and get a little "adult". But at the same time I respect the cruel, unfortunate, world some of these forsaken people live in.

Sometimes a virtual landscape is all they have.

Skittles
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31

Skittles to Snuffbox

Premium Member

to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

said by Exodus:

Can I join?

This guy ^ "just a straight shooter with upper management written all over him."

Anyone?

What if - and believe me this is a hypothetical - but what if you were offered some kind of a stock option equity sharing program. Would that do anything for you?