Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

How does this price quote look for heat/ac

Click for full size
I figure I would start a new thread since this is a different topic..

How is the quote/brands on this quote? See attached Screen shot.

Total = $6,863.00

Qualifies for 700 nicoir rebates and 450.00 in federal tax credits
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

Why Amana? And how did they determine the sizing of the furnace and the A/C systems?

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by Bob4:

Why Amana? And how did they determine the sizing of the furnace and the A/C systems?

No idea they did all the work. He took the sq ft of my house and looked at the old units.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby

Avoid that kind of humidifier, go for a none leak steam version. It'll be worth it in the long run to have no leaks.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by toby:

Avoid that kind of humidifier, go for a none leak steam version. It'll be worth it in the long run to have no leaks.

Can you give me a brand and link?

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken to SuperNet

MVM

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

He took the sq ft of my house and looked at the old units.

That's what you call taking a guess. People often end up with a unit that is sized wrong after taking a guess. You really want someone to do a Manual J calculation to determine the proper size unit.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to SuperNet

to SuperNet
Who did the quote? Was it Nicor (Tradewinds) or some other company?

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet to Ken

Premium Member

to Ken
said by Ken:

said by SuperNet:

That's what you call taking a guess. People often end up with a unit that is sized wrong after taking a guess. You really want someone to do a Manual J calculation to determine the proper size unit.

I know the house on paper is 1,100 sqft..
So if he guessed 1,500sqft it should be fine?

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to Ken

MVM

to Ken
said by Ken:

said by SuperNet:

You can probably get ballpark, but I agree that a Manual J is best to be done. Even more so if switching from a conventional to a very high efficiency unit as your furnace may be able to go down in size.

A old 70k BTU furnace may only be 70% efficient giving you 49k BTU usable, while a 96% efficient unit only needs to be 52k BTU to produce the same usable amount of heat. Oversized, the unit will short cycle reducing it's life, increasing costs, and lowering comfort levels.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
said by 67845017:

Who did the quote? Was it Nicor (Tradewinds) or some other company?

It was some other company...
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Obviously, you should get several quotes. I have found Nicor's Tradewinds to do a good job in the past. Also, I think Angie's List is a great place to find reputable contractors for this kind of stuff.

This whole ballparking an estimate based on square footage stuff is a warning signal.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to SuperNet

to SuperNet
I recently had 2 complete 16 seer AC units and furnaces installed with 100% new duct work and it was just over 13K.

David

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by workablob:

I recently had 2 complete 16 seer AC units and furnaces installed with 100% new duct work and it was just over 13K.

Two 16 SEER ACs w/ ductwork compared to a condensing furnace, 14.5 SEER AC, water heater, humidifier, and stat. So in other words, a good apples to apples comparison.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob

Perhaps not. Just my .02.

Dave

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

1 edit

dcurrey to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
If it helps back in 99 I had a heap Amana 2 ton heat pump with variable speed blower and one of those 5 inch hepa filter for around 4k.

Since blower was in attic no humidifier. But they did run all new copper supply lines and new line to breaker box since old unit was just AC only. Needed better wiring for heat strips in blower. Might of needed a 220 line don't remember.

edit: BTW I think it was a 13 or 14 seer unit. Best unit that had the scroll compressor whatever that means.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

How is the Amana brand?
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to SuperNet

to SuperNet
Here's an Angie's List listing of the top providers within 10 miles of Schaumburg. You should consider googling and then calling an additional couple of providers on that list.

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

How is the Amana brand?

In the 5 years we lived there I think the defrost cycle screwed up one winter. Think it was still under warranty at the time.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to SuperNet

MVM

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

How is the Amana brand?

About the same as every other mainstream brand. For those brands there's not a huge amount of difference between products or quality. Many of the individual important components are sourced from the same vendor (e.g. Copeland compressors), multiple different vendors based on current best price (e.g. a TXV), or more or less a commodity part (e.g. blower motor) across different brands/manufacturers.

I would say Amana is a middle tier brand. They aren't at the top tier like Carrier, Trane, Lennox, etc. They still make a good product, and they aren't a fly by night company. But they don't have the size or marketing power that the big boys have. They are also more a follow-the-leader vs. innovator of new technologies, features, or efficiencies. As new stuff comes out, it takes a bit to show up but things are bit more proven.

When comparing two units, first look at is the unit what you want/need. Is it sized right and have the features you want/need? Presuming those criteria are met already, don't look at shiny sticker or plastic emblem that shows the brand name. Look at WHO is installing it as well as what is the warranty. A "inferior" brand name installed by a competent dealer that stands behind the work and honors the warranty is better then a hack with a premium brand that improperly installs it and is gone tomorrow when it comes time to service it because it was installed improperly.

For the record, Amana is made by Goodman. Once upon a time Goodman had a reputation as being cheap and a hack brand (or even DIY buy off the internet) but they've cleaned up their image some. They often can be seen as a contractors brand used in new construction. They work decent, but they aren't top of the line or a premium unit. I can't comment on if there is any difference in the quality between brands but I have a feeling they are pretty similar inside.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

So I called a well known heating / ac company. They wanted 3k more than I was quoted from a different company.. I showed them and couldn't match it even tho there advertisement says they will beat them by 500.00.

This is a bull shit game. I hate this!!!!
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

Which is why you should just replace the faulty circuit board and be done with it.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
In most cases, hiring the company that's been in business for 30 years, even if it costs 3K more, is the lower cost path.

Any hack can make a quote, and possibly install a system, but all that might do is have you spend $$ for a system that isn't right for your home, or worse

Quality Costs ... and for major outlay for a home, you want someone that has proven for years that they know what they are doing

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 edit

Draiman

said by guppy_fish:

In most cases, hiring the company that's been in business for 30 years, even if it costs 3K more, is the lower cost path.

Any hack can make a quote, and possibly install a system, but all that might do is have you spend $$ for a system that isn't right for your home, or worse

Quality Costs ... and for major outlay for a home, you want someone that has proven for years that they know what they are doing

This reads like an advertisement. One could only hope more experience meant better work. In reality you might get someone who's lost their edge and hasn't kept up on their skills. Stuff changes over time. I love listening to computer programmers who say they have 20+ years of experiences. I just laugh knowing the bulk of that doesn't apply since those languages aren't used anymore. In terms of Cisco a CCNP and CCIE possess the same knowledge. The difference is speed. The CCNP might have to use a book and takes 8 hours to complete the task while the CCIE knows how to fix the problem and does it in 2 hours. The CCIE commands 3 times more money but it's an overall cost savings.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

2 edits

pende_tim to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
I just had a 2 stage Amana Heat pump installed in my Delaware house. Very satisfied with performance. The unit I put in was a 3Ton 18 seer machine with 10kW strip heat for backup.

To cost for me was $6,800 including a new lineset and 60A feed for the heaters.

You are probably better off with the Ecobee T/S. I have a high end Goodman communicating T/S CTK03AA and it has crashed on me a few times while in the setup mueus. There are some very nice features with the Goodman T/S, but don't know if they outweigh the couple of problems I have seen.

Make sure you get the 10 year "Good Care" warranty with the unit. It is a $300. option and covers labor costs as well as parts costs for 10 years. I believe Amana may be offering this for free but check with your contractor.

2.5T for an 1100 ft^2 house in Illinois sounds like a lot of cooling. MAKE SURE YOU GET A MANUAL J done. The first 2000 ft^2 first floor of my Delaware house came out to 30000 btuh just as a point of reference. It is a lot hotter and more humid there than what I suspect Illinois would need for design conditions.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I agree. I have a rental town-home that is 1150 sf for which I had a new heating cooling system installed in October last year (2012). The HVAC company recommended a 1.5 ton unit. I went with a 2 ton, which they said would be okay because of the ductwork (or lack thereof).

I think 2.5 ton may be too big also.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to Draiman

Premium Member

to Draiman
said by Draiman:

This reads like an advertisement.

Draiman, I request you no longer comment on my posts, you offer nothing of value but an opinion to discredit my advise, which was not asked for. I was offering an honest suggestion to the OP, not you.

If you have a suggest for the OP on the best way to quote and or purchase a major appliance or system for the home, you can do that without trying to be snarky / discredit what I have done for 30 years and been successful with.

Just as you requested I no longer post to your thread, and I obliged, please have the same respect for my posts.

Thank You

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to SuperNet

to SuperNet
I'm sure the OP isn't about to hire the most expensive person based on experience alone nor should anyone. You should look at 'the big picture'. Do you feel confident in the person? Is the price fair? Do they have references/reviews? A balanced approach is the most common for a home owner. Personally I have no issues going with the cheapest or most expensive on a project. It's whatever I feel provides the most overall value to me aka 'the big picture'. Sometimes spending a few more bucks feels right while other times saving a few bucks feel right. In the end even a 'hack' can be in business doing 'hack' work for 30 years. I've hired a few personally!

toby
Troy Mcclure
Seattle, WA

toby to SuperNet

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

said by toby:

Can you give me a brand and link?

»www.alpinehomeair.com/vi ··· ryID=276

The honeywell units, size it for your squ ft.
This one should do well.
»www.alpinehomeair.com/vi ··· 53064994

Make sure that your thermostat also is a detects the humidity, do not accept separate control units, use a single.

You do not want the bypass/powerfan models, you have to replace pads a lot, then they leak on the floor.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Yeah, the bypass models do waste water. But they work fine. I don't understand why you think they leak water on the floor. We've had bypass ones for over 15 years and they've never leaked.

toby
Troy Mcclure
Seattle, WA

toby

I have the powerfan model, its poorly designed, a Bryant one but its just a rebadged design. When the pad is time to replace, it decides to leak on the floor. Just not happy with it.