uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to SuperNet9

Re: How does this price quote look for heat/ac

Which is why you should just replace the faulty circuit board and be done with it.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SuperNet9
In most cases, hiring the company that's been in business for 30 years, even if it costs 3K more, is the lower cost path.

Any hack can make a quote, and possibly install a system, but all that might do is have you spend $$ for a system that isn't right for your home, or worse

Quality Costs ... and for major outlay for a home, you want someone that has proven for years that they know what they are doing

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
said by guppy_fish:

In most cases, hiring the company that's been in business for 30 years, even if it costs 3K more, is the lower cost path.

Any hack can make a quote, and possibly install a system, but all that might do is have you spend $$ for a system that isn't right for your home, or worse

Quality Costs ... and for major outlay for a home, you want someone that has proven for years that they know what they are doing

This reads like an advertisement. One could only hope more experience meant better work. In reality you might get someone who's lost their edge and hasn't kept up on their skills. Stuff changes over time. I love listening to computer programmers who say they have 20+ years of experiences. I just laugh knowing the bulk of that doesn't apply since those languages aren't used anymore. In terms of Cisco a CCNP and CCIE possess the same knowledge. The difference is speed. The CCNP might have to use a book and takes 8 hours to complete the task while the CCIE knows how to fix the problem and does it in 2 hours. The CCIE commands 3 times more money but it's an overall cost savings.
--
What we're saying today is that you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. - E. Cleaver 1968

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to SuperNet9
I just had a 2 stage Amana Heat pump installed in my Delaware house. Very satisfied with performance. The unit I put in was a 3Ton 18 seer machine with 10kW strip heat for backup.

To cost for me was $6,800 including a new lineset and 60A feed for the heaters.

You are probably better off with the Ecobee T/S. I have a high end Goodman communicating T/S CTK03AA and it has crashed on me a few times while in the setup mueus. There are some very nice features with the Goodman T/S, but don't know if they outweigh the couple of problems I have seen.

Make sure you get the 10 year "Good Care" warranty with the unit. It is a $300. option and covers labor costs as well as parts costs for 10 years. I believe Amana may be offering this for free but check with your contractor.

2.5T for an 1100 ft^2 house in Illinois sounds like a lot of cooling. MAKE SURE YOU GET A MANUAL J done. The first 2000 ft^2 first floor of my Delaware house came out to 30000 btuh just as a point of reference. It is a lot hotter and more humid there than what I suspect Illinois would need for design conditions.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
I agree. I have a rental town-home that is 1150 sf for which I had a new heating cooling system installed in October last year (2012). The HVAC company recommended a 1.5 ton unit. I went with a 2 ton, which they said would be okay because of the ductwork (or lack thereof).

I think 2.5 ton may be too big also.
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman
said by Draiman:

This reads like an advertisement.

Draiman, I request you no longer comment on my posts, you offer nothing of value but an opinion to discredit my advise, which was not asked for. I was offering an honest suggestion to the OP, not you.

If you have a suggest for the OP on the best way to quote and or purchase a major appliance or system for the home, you can do that without trying to be snarky / discredit what I have done for 30 years and been successful with.

Just as you requested I no longer post to your thread, and I obliged, please have the same respect for my posts.

Thank You

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SuperNet9
I'm sure the OP isn't about to hire the most expensive person based on experience alone nor should anyone. You should look at 'the big picture'. Do you feel confident in the person? Is the price fair? Do they have references/reviews? A balanced approach is the most common for a home owner. Personally I have no issues going with the cheapest or most expensive on a project. It's whatever I feel provides the most overall value to me aka 'the big picture'. Sometimes spending a few more bucks feels right while other times saving a few bucks feel right. In the end even a 'hack' can be in business doing 'hack' work for 30 years. I've hired a few personally!
--
What we're saying today is that you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. - E. Cleaver 1968

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR
reply to SuperNet9
said by SuperNet9:

said by toby:

Avoid that kind of humidifier, go for a none leak steam version. It'll be worth it in the long run to have no leaks.

Can you give me a brand and link?

»www.alpinehomeair.com/viewcatego···ryID=276

The honeywell units, size it for your squ ft.
This one should do well.
»www.alpinehomeair.com/viewproduc···53064994

Make sure that your thermostat also is a detects the humidity, do not accept separate control units, use a single.

You do not want the bypass/powerfan models, you have to replace pads a lot, then they leak on the floor.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
Yeah, the bypass models do waste water. But they work fine. I don't understand why you think they leak water on the floor. We've had bypass ones for over 15 years and they've never leaked.
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR
I have the powerfan model, its poorly designed, a Bryant one but its just a rebadged design. When the pad is time to replace, it decides to leak on the floor. Just not happy with it.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to SuperNet9
The builder that constructed my home used Trane AC equipment. A year after they built my home in 2005, the builder changed to Amana AC equipment. I was told by a builders representative that they changed to Amana because Amana had a longer warranty, offered higher efficiency units at a lower price and did not use R22 Refrigerant.