chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

1 edit

chachazz to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: [FireFox] Firefox ESR?

Interested in your update experience. Please let us know how it goes.

Note new PDF Viewer in Options>Applications.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by chachazz:

Interested in your update experience. Please let us know how it goes.

This was funny. I just installed the latest Java and Oracle made me shut down Fx and SeaMonkey first. I didn't think about the fact that if I shut down Fx to complete the Java install that when I restarted it the new version would install. I was focused on getting Java update installed. So, at the end of the Java install I clicked on a link so I could disable auto updating of Java and that, of course, started Fx since it is my default browser and I saw it installing 17.0.3!!!

It took about 2 seconds (really) with zero problems. That is the advantage of waiting as it checked my extensions and all were fine which might not be the case if I got a new version of Fx the moment it was released.

It kept MOST of my settings in Options but it did put a checkmark by Smooth Scrolling in addition to the checkmark by Auto Scroll which I have used since Mozilla made that available many years ago. I never liked Smooth scrolling and always had that unchecked. Why does Mozilla have both checked now by default?

It also changed some of my security settings ...understandable as I had "Block reported attack sites" and "Block reported forgeries" UNchecked and Mozilla doesn't feel that is safe for average users so those were checked and I just unchecked them again.

I see the new entry for PDF and mine says Ask Me although it has the Evince icon. So, I have to try it out as when Mozilla first came out with a beta for PDF reader in the browser and I installed it...on Fx 4...it barely worked and I never installed it on Fx 10 so I am anxious to see how it works.

What happens though when I shut Fx down now and restart? I won't have the Profile Manager right? I forgot where to go to get the new stand alone one....hopefully I bookmarked the page from when we had a discussion about it some time back.

My setting to "never check for updates" of Fx was NOT changed.
Mele20

1 edit

Mele20 to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
said by chachazz:

It's not in Fx 17.0.3 ESR! I thought it was supposed to be?

So I have to install the extension which is an old version (0.7.1)?
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

If all you really want to do is play around with the viewer, then you could also just install Firefox Portable 19.0. That's what I did; ordinarily I would have waited till 19.0.1 (or later).