trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to fartness

Re: How long will my (your) SSD last?

Yes, there's that possibly but again it all depends upon how many writes you are making to the SSD.

The point of my post is that a lot of enthusiast web sites seem to be so focused on the lifespan of the SSD. They all seem hyper about it to the point that even the mere thought of having even the slightest reduction in SSD lifespan (even theorized reduction) can make these people not want to buy a particular SSD. The thing I'm trying to drive home is that for the average home user with their average computer with average use (and that even includes us geeks here on this site), an SSD will outlive the usefulness of the SSD in the sense that we'll be looking to buy a new one for increased capacity long before the drive dies from too many writes.

So go ahead, buy the SSD. Don't worry about that number. All of the enthusiast web sites seem too focused on that number.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:4

said by trparky:

Yes, there's that possibly but again it all depends upon how many writes you are making to the SSD.

The point of my post is that a lot of enthusiast web sites seem to be so focused on the lifespan of the SSD. They all seem hyper about it to the point that even the mere thought of having even the slightest reduction in SSD lifespan (even theorized reduction) can make these people not want to buy a particular SSD. The thing I'm trying to drive home is that for the average home user with their average computer with average use (and that even includes us geeks here on this site), an SSD will outlive the usefulness of the SSD in the sense that we'll be looking to buy a new one for increased capacity long before the drive dies from too many writes.

So go ahead, buy the SSD. Don't worry about that number. All of the enthusiast web sites seem too focused on that number.

Hmmm....can't see why I'd be looking, during the lifetime of this computer, to buy a new larger one when I have a Samsung PM830 mSATA 256GB drive. I don't know if SSD Life is any good at determining the life of this drive but it claims 8 years, 5 months.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson