spc
Search similar:

uniqs

AlanM
@verizon.net

AlanM

Anon

Horrible youtube speeds

I'm getting horrible youtube speeds here in the washington dc area (Maryland), i've ran the speed optimizer from fios, but I think it even made things worse.

Some videos barely pass the 60KB/s, some manage to get as max around 300KB/s

I'm on the 50/25 quantum plan and it's really sad that I get those crap speeds.

I'm not even able to watch 480p videos!

SeeKnaY
join:2002-11-14
Westbury, NY

SeeKnaY

Here in NY and I can barely stream anything tonight from any site - Youtube or otherwise.
gabe323
join:2003-08-04
Oxnard, CA

gabe323 to AlanM

to AlanM
Same there here in SoCal.

CDR
@optonline.net

CDR to SeeKnaY

Anon

to SeeKnaY
When I had FIOS, Youtube was very slow loading likewise. With cable (pre FIOS or current), I never had any significant problems.
batsona
Maryland
join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

batsona to AlanM

to AlanM
You can google for this -- people have actually written technical papers on how youtube assigns the video cache servers to clients (or vise-versa I guess...) It's not trivial. It has to do with physical location, the speed of the video you're watching (240, 360, 480, etc etc...) I do'nt have the PDF anymore, but google for "Where Do You "Tube"? Uncovering the youTube Server Selection Strategy" I've had lots of trouble doing anything higher than 240.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY

Dream Killer to AlanM

Premium Member

to AlanM
i get around slow buffering using a video downloader (i use freemake's). it sucks that i have to do a bit of work to watch a video but the upside is there's no ads and no dumb comments to see.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to AlanM

to AlanM
This is not a FIOS issue as just check the threads about slow Youtube in Comcast and TWC. Just google it and you will find loads of youtube threads about slow speeds.

Vamp
5c077
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
MD

Vamp to AlanM

Premium Member

to AlanM
Youtube has been the worst it has ever been in the last month.. I was thinking maybe its normal internet traffic but even after midnight Im having the issue, then I went to my dads who also has FIOS and it was the exact same. I got on a non-verizon network and didn't have any issues with streaming.

I'm starting to wonder if it really is Verizon routing and not Youtube or internet traffic that is to blame. At this point youtube practically doesn't work, I have to force most videos to stream properly by reloading 100x.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Make sure your using Verison DNS server, otherwise you will be bypassing Verizon's preferred routes
hrickpa
join:2001-06-07
Reading, PA

hrickpa to AlanM

to AlanM
I have Verizon dsl youtube is verry slow also
navyson
join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

1 edit

navyson to AlanM

to AlanM
After testing out youtube most of today while at work, I am now inclined to believe it is a Verizon issue.
I tested out my speed at work on speakeasy and it came back 40 down 23 up. I played many youtube 1080p videos while at work and none of them buffered at all.

I have a 50/25 FIOS connection at home and I get constant rebuffering on youtube even when I play at 480p, 720p throughout the day. I have a roku box with youtube as well and I get the same thing.
I guess its just a FIOS youtube issue since Netflix HD usually plays without a problem.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

2 edits

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Your work and Verizon have different peering points / networks

Your work peering likely doesn't have any residential users trying to play YouTube stuff ( in the millions ), The choke point is the Google to Verizon peering connection, its up to Google to increase the peering, Not Verizon. Verizon is not responsible for all the content sources.

Netflix is paying literally multi-millions a year for peering, hence why Netflix works and Google doesn't

Sorry just how the internet works
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson to AlanM

to AlanM
I dont have a contract with google. I have a contract with Verizon and it is their responsibility to make sure its customers have a good user experience even if it means it tries to work directly with google to fix the issue. These horrible user experiences are extremely annoying and cant continue forever.

What happens when verizon introduces its new media server dvr in a few months . It will have a youtube channel. Are you telling me that the that channel will be completely useless and customers should blame google? I dont think so.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

It doesn't work that way. Research peering agreements and unbalanced peering traffic, and you will see how big of an issue this is.....It is a global problem.

Until Google provides more peering capacity with Verizon, the problem will continue. Verizon can't force Google to increase Google's peering links to increase traffic from Verizon.
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

I cant see why google wouldn't want to work with verizon to solve this issue. It is in google and verizons best interest to have this issue resolved.
navyson

navyson to AlanM

to AlanM
I can just see a PR nightmare when Verizon introduces its new media center DVR to the tech media. The presenter then is showing off the "youtube" channel and it buffers continuously frustrating him and the media present

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to AlanM

Premium Member

to AlanM
All your contract with Verizon is for connection to the internet, there are no metrics, read NONE, that say Verizon has to provide anything more than the route to an active IP on the internet and within Verizon's network, you going to get your provisioned linespeed, more than any other major broadband provider in the US

Google bought the farm when purchasing YouTube, it does bring in revenue through ads and "channels ", but nothing close to Netflix yet they have have reported 11% of the peak traffic, compared to Nextflex at 38%

»broabandtrafficmanagemen ··· lix.html

Netflix as 25 million paying customers, since THEY have a contract with the customers to deliver, even at peak usage, they spend the money , and its big money, to meet there customers needs

YouTube is Free, Google can't afford to provide the same peering the Netflix has ...

Bottomline, you getting what you pay for with content providers that are free
brutus
join:2003-12-16
Tampa, FL

brutus

I have never been able to stream youtube reliably since switching to FiOS from Brighthouse. I never had an issue with Brighthouse, but I have all but given up on Youtube. It doesn't matter what quality I select but all the videos stop at 3-5 seconds in and then take forever to load anything past that. It doesn't matter if I am on my phone, iPad, or PC.
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

2 edits

navyson to AlanM

to AlanM
When I was with Comcast before, I never had problems streaming youtube videos either.

Vamp
5c077
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
MD

Vamp to AlanM

Premium Member

to AlanM
I am so glad we are not crazy and it IS a Verizon issue (atleast a Verizon peering issue).
noebl1
join:2003-01-03
MA, USA

noebl1

I had Comcast for 10 years before recently moving to a FIOS area, and I had the same problems with Youtube there too. I remember hoping Youtube would be better when I switched, but obivously it's not. I try to watch videos during the day, then after 6pm or so don't bother until after 10pm or so... basically what I did before with Comcast.
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

1 edit

navyson to AlanM

to AlanM
I spoke with two of my friends today. One with Comcast and one with Cablevision. They said that they both watch youtube videos on a daily basis and have not had any major problems recently.

I told them I have been having tremendous problems with youtube and FIOS and they laugh at me because I used to tell them that FIOS was the best thing since sliced bread. Now, I am beginning to think otherwise

I am so frustrated right now I can't watch my favorite videos without the constant rebuffering.

Youtube videos played flawlessless (even 1080p) when I was at work today. At home, it is the opposite.

Verizon/Google must find a solution to this problem.
drumz0rz
join:2012-09-14
East Northport, NY

drumz0rz to AlanM

to AlanM
I just wanted to add a "me 2" to this thread. This issue drives me nuts because I spend so much time on YouTube. The problem is definitely only with YouTube streaming videos. I can upload fast, and everything else across the rest of the web is fast.

Have we even been able to figure out if this is an issue on Verizon's end or YouTube's?
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829 to navyson

to navyson
said by navyson:

Youtube videos played flawlessless (even 1080p) when I was at work today. At home, it is the opposite.

YouTube works great on FiOS during the day, too.

Rax
Premium Member
join:2003-11-13
Floral Park, NY

Rax

Premium Member

Youtube is good sometimes and bad sometimes for me on fios, optimum online or road runner so no it's not your fios its youtube. What do you expect from a free video service using HD content to millions of people at a time ?
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson to knarf829

to knarf829
said by knarf829:

said by navyson:

Not really.

I got home at 2pm today and had problems streaming youtube videos. 1080p streamed perfectly when I was at work earlier in the day.
navyson

navyson to Rax

to Rax
said by Rax:

Youtube is good sometimes and bad sometimes for me on fios, optimum online or road runner so no it's not your fios its youtube. What do you expect from a free video service using HD content to millions of people at a time ?

From my office, youtube works perfectly everyday including 1080p videos.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829 to navyson

to navyson
said by navyson:

said by knarf829:

said by navyson:

Not really.

I got home at 2pm today and had problems streaming youtube videos. 1080p streamed perfectly when I was at work earlier in the day.

Hmmm...no such problem on FiOS here. Occasionally at night - not always - and never during the day.

Sounds like it's time to open a Direct ticket or contact the help desk.

Rax
Premium Member
join:2003-11-13
Floral Park, NY

Rax to AlanM

Premium Member

to AlanM
You could try and open a ticket but I doubt it's gonna get you anywhere if that's all you say is youtube is slow. Maybe you could look for a download manager that uses more connections and download the videos faster
navyson
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson to AlanM

to AlanM
It is now 3:30pm and I am trying to watch a video on youtube that is encoded at 360p. Constant rebuffering for a "low quality" video.

This thing is getting utterly annoying now.