Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ
reply to navyson

Re: Horrible youtube speeds

have you called into tech support to report the problem. if tyou dont call in they arent going to help you from here. or try posting the info in the verizon direct forum

navyson

join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD
said by nyrrule27:

have you called into tech support to report the problem. if tyou dont call in they arent going to help you from here. or try posting the info in the verizon direct forum

The problem isn't just affecting me. As you can see, the problem is affecting many FIOS customers all over the US and there is already a FIOS internet forum on the Verizon website on this issue.

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ
but vz isnt going to do anything unless you call in

alanisrox69

join:2005-03-29
LHV, PA
said by nyrrule27:

Just tweet about it. Enough Tweets, media will pick it up, and then Verizon will fix it.
--
CHECK YOUR FSLC TAXES!!!

navyson

Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to nyrrule27
said by nyrrule27:

If you read the thread in the link, lot of users there are also complaining.

About two or more users who called Verizon were asked to pay a $89.99 fee by Verizon to troubleshoot the issue. WTF

We need to let the editor of this website be aware of the issue so that he can put it on the front page of DSL Reports and I guarantee you, this will be picked up by other media and hopefully light the fire under Verizon/google to solve this issue.
Expand your moderator at work

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to alanisrox69

said by alanisrox69:

Not his buddy, but here.

(youtube clip)
Fios:

on RCN (cable):

Fios, doesn't load, buffers. On RCN, video loaded completely in under 30seconds.

The RCN is caching the content ( 207.172.195.204 is an RCN IP )... that's why it works

Verizon is not doing any caching ( and they don't ) for any content from anyone, at least for the wireline network

Hopefully someone will get a Comcast IP when playing to verify, this pretty much ends this thread.

The slow downs are within Google, the larger cable networks ( and probably Verizon wireless ) all Cache Google/UTube, comcast is about 9X larger in customers than Verizon DSL / FIOS.

Its not a network issue within Verizon or Peering, its within Google and they could careless as its not a subscription service.

navyson

Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to AlanM

RCN was smart enough to cache their content so that their users can have a pleasant experience using the entire web. Maybe Verizon should do the same you think? Stop making excuses for Verizon.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to navyson

said by navyson:

RCN was smart enough to cache their content so that their users can have a pleasant experience using the entire web. Maybe Verizon should do the same you think? Stop making excuses for Verizon.

Sure, lets charge us, the subscribers another 10 bucks a month to cover the costs to have huge costly server farms to cache content from other profitable company's ...

No thanks ... Cable and I suspect Verizon wireless has the customer base to spread the costs out, FIOS/DSL is what 6-7 million customers in the US?

And as been shown earlier in this thread, Brighthouse/Time Warner is using X/O communications and having issues with that for caching .. This isn't a simple issue and it had nothing to do with Verizon network and it capabilities

alanisrox69

LHV, PA
reply to AlanM
This is a Verizon issue.

YouTube on my phone (WiFi -> fios network) doesn't load. I switch to AT&T LTE and the same video loads just fine! iPhone is jailbroken with 3G Unrestrictor installed, so YouTube loads the 1080p on LTE. Loads just fine. It's a Verizon issue.
--
CHECK YOUR FSLC TAXES!!!

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY
said by alanisrox69:

This is a Verizon issue.

YouTube on my phone (WiFi -> fios network) doesn't load. I switch to AT&T LTE and the same video loads just fine! iPhone is jailbroken with 3G Unrestrictor installed, so YouTube loads the 1080p on LTE. Loads just fine. It's a Verizon issue.

Youtube retrieves the 720p stream on phones.
--
75/35 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

navyson

Upper Marlboro, MD
said by Bytezboy:

said by alanisrox69:

This is a Verizon issue.

I use Verizon Wireless 4G LTE and I don't have a problem watching 720p videos on my phone.

alanisrox69

LHV, PA
reply to Bytezboy
said by Bytezboy:

said by alanisrox69:

This is a Verizon issue.

Read the rest of my post. with 3G Unrestrictor you can select what quality, I select the "highest" = 1080p.
--
CHECK YOUR FSLC TAXES!!!

Bytezboy

New York, NY
reply to AlanM
Yeah, it's strange that I rarely have any issues on my Verizon 4G LTE phone.
--

Bytezboy

New York, NY
reply to alanisrox69
said by alanisrox69:

said by guppy_fish:

Have your buddy play the video and do a netstat in a command shell and get the IP's he is getting the content from, that will settle whats going on here

You do the same thing ... with the IP's we can find out what the difference is.

Not his buddy, but here.

(youtube clip)
Fios:

on RCN (cable):

Fios, doesn't load, buffers. On RCN, video loaded completely in under 30seconds.

Getting less than 150Kbytes/s.
--

navyson

Upper Marlboro, MD

1 edit
reply to AlanM

I have a Roku box and I used to watch alot of HD videos on its Youtube channel. Now, the youtube channel is basically useless because it buffers excessively and when it does play, it downgrades it to 240p which is unwatchable on TV. All other channels on the Roku including Netflix, Amazon, HBO Go plays perfectly in wonderful HD with no problems.

The same thing will happen to the new FIOS media server DVR with its youtube channel when it launches if the issue isn't resolved.

JWise1203

join:2003-02-28
Wilmington, DE
reply to AlanM
I am in Delaware and have been having issues since about November 2012. The streaming issues with Youtube have gotten progressively worse. Back in November I only had issues streaming at 720p or 1080p quality. For the past week or so I can't even stream in 240p!!

As suggested by others I have tweeted Verizon. I hope this can get in front of the right people so that whatever network/peer is responsible for this problem can resolve their issue.

JohnR

@verizon.net
reply to navyson

Thought it just me, it is completely random and can be the worst quality video, and still buffer on 280p.

Only thing to fix is to keep hitting reload until it find a connection or server that is fune.

Been having this for months, never bothered to make ticket, because i know how verizon support is, will say nothing wrong on their end and i must have a virus

Bytezboy

New York, NY
reply to AlanM
Amazing I can max out my download at 84Mbit/s at 2am on this 1080p video:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyaJ2cUX6K0

Their servers must be very close to my home.
--

andyjai

join:2001-09-12
Rowland Heights, CA
reply to AlanM
I had youtube streaming problem during peak hours (1-2Mbps streaming from 5pm to 2am) for months. Then last month, my connections to various sites got serious slow down with package lost only during peak hours. I contacted verzion and they fixed the problem in about a week. Ever since they fixed the equipment problem, I have no problem with youtube any more. I can stream 20-50Mbps during peak hours.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

Its not a network issue within Verizon or Peering, its within Google and they could careless as its not a subscription service.

They do have the Pay Per View videos, but in the future they are going to be rolling out some Pay to View Channels as well on YouTube. Likely, that will be the key motivator to get these slow-downs to stop for good.

It also seems RCN, as mentioned above has their own on-network caching server. Doesn't seem like they just one either, a quick Google search turns up several that the use. That would certainly do it if they've spent the time and effort to make their own cache. A lot of high traffic places like Universities do the same thing.

StubbyinKCMO

join:2008-11-15
Kansas City, MO
reply to AlanM
Sorry guys as I just realized that this is the Verizon FIOS channel, but I found it while looking for how to fix my stupid YouTube buffering problems.

I found that firewall trick about blocking 206.111.0.0/16 and HOLY COW! It works wonderfully! Can now stream 1080p videos with NO buffering.

That Taylor Swift video wouldnt even load the 340p before and then I tried after the firewall block and BLAMMO. Loaded the whole 1080p in under about 30 seconds. For some reason most of the time when I try to watch videos it would only load up to the speaker icon for YouTube volume and then I have to sit and wait.

Hope you guys try that fix. It suuuure helped me out on TWC here in Kansas City.