Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mloebl

join:2003-01-03
Tyngsboro, MA
reply to Vamp

Re: Horrible youtube speeds

I had Comcast for 10 years before recently moving to a FIOS area, and I had the same problems with Youtube there too. I remember hoping Youtube would be better when I switched, but obivously it's not. I try to watch videos during the day, then after 6pm or so don't bother until after 10pm or so... basically what I did before with Comcast.

navyson

join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

1 edit
reply to AlanM

I spoke with two of my friends today. One with Comcast and one with Cablevision. They said that they both watch youtube videos on a daily basis and have not had any major problems recently.

I told them I have been having tremendous problems with youtube and FIOS and they laugh at me because I used to tell them that FIOS was the best thing since sliced bread. Now, I am beginning to think otherwise

I am so frustrated right now I can't watch my favorite videos without the constant rebuffering.

Youtube videos played flawlessless (even 1080p) when I was at work today. At home, it is the opposite.

Verizon/Google must find a solution to this problem.

drumz0rz

join:2012-09-14
East Northport, NY
reply to AlanM

I just wanted to add a "me 2" to this thread. This issue drives me nuts because I spend so much time on YouTube. The problem is definitely only with YouTube streaming videos. I can upload fast, and everything else across the rest of the web is fast.

Have we even been able to figure out if this is an issue on Verizon's end or YouTube's?

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1
reply to navyson

said by navyson:

Youtube videos played flawlessless (even 1080p) when I was at work today. At home, it is the opposite.

YouTube works great on FiOS during the day, too.

Eebobb
Premium
join:2003-11-13
Floral Park, NY

Youtube is good sometimes and bad sometimes for me on fios, optimum online or road runner so no it's not your fios its youtube. What do you expect from a free video service using HD content to millions of people at a time ?

navyson

Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to knarf829

said by knarf829:

said by navyson:

Not really.

I got home at 2pm today and had problems streaming youtube videos. 1080p streamed perfectly when I was at work earlier in the day.

navyson

Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to Eebobb

said by Eebobb:

Youtube is good sometimes and bad sometimes for me on fios, optimum online or road runner so no it's not your fios its youtube. What do you expect from a free video service using HD content to millions of people at a time ?

From my office, youtube works perfectly everyday including 1080p videos.

knarf829

reply to navyson

said by navyson:

said by knarf829:

said by navyson:

Not really.

I got home at 2pm today and had problems streaming youtube videos. 1080p streamed perfectly when I was at work earlier in the day.

Hmmm...no such problem on FiOS here. Occasionally at night - not always - and never during the day.

Sounds like it's time to open a Direct ticket or contact the help desk.

Eebobb
Premium
join:2003-11-13
Floral Park, NY
reply to AlanM

You could try and open a ticket but I doubt it's gonna get you anywhere if that's all you say is youtube is slow. Maybe you could look for a download manager that uses more connections and download the videos faster

navyson

Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to AlanM

It is now 3:30pm and I am trying to watch a video on youtube that is encoded at 360p. Constant rebuffering for a "low quality" video.

This thing is getting utterly annoying now.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

I'll have to try this when I get home. I have Verizon at home and Cablevision at work. I know I've been having problems at home, I'll have to try it again tonight. Right now at work all You Tube videos are starting immediately and playing flawlessly.

navyson

Upper Marlboro, MD

said by matcarl:

I'll have to try this when I get home. I have Verizon at home and Cablevision at work. I know I've been having problems at home, I'll have to try it again tonight. Right now at work all You Tube videos are starting immediately and playing flawlessly.

When I was at work yesterday, all the youtube videos I played played flawlessly including those at 1080p.

At home, my 50/25 FIOS connection is struggling to play a 360p video.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

2 edits

I'm home now. All the same videos play right away, but when I move the slider, the video dies and gets hung up on the Verizon connection, but not on all the videos, it's random. I guess I would really have to do more testing. But I do know I've been having some issues lately.

AndyD2k

join:2003-01-10
New York, NY
reply to AlanM

I have issues Youtube every once in a while. I think this is just due to load on their end

knarf829

reply to navyson

said by navyson:

It is now 3:30pm and I am trying to watch a video on youtube that is encoded at 360p. Constant rebuffering for a "low quality" video.

This thing is getting utterly annoying now.

What did Customer Service say when you contacted them? Did they offer any suggestions that the other users having problems can try?

navyson

Upper Marlboro, MD

4 edits
reply to AlanM

I never contacted customer service. I just got 59 down 24 up on my speedtest. My netflix plays okay. Its just youtube.

I have a a brand new Quadcore computer with all the latest software so that's not the problem.

I went into the youtube settings and I enabled and disabled "hardware acceleration" and this makes no difference.

Whenever I click on a youtube file, it plays for a few seconds and you can see the bar "caching/downloading" the content ahead of playback. Once play begins, the "caching/downloading" can't keep up and then playback stops temporarily.

Sometimes, I would "download" the youtube video to my computer's hard drive to play back another time. I am doing that right now, and the download is taking forever and thus, I am convinced it is a Verizon to Google/youtube issue.

I also have problems playing youtube on my Roku box at times while all other channels play with no problems.

navyson

Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to AlanM

Doing some research on the internet and I am wondering if I ask Verizon to change out my router from a "G" to "N" if that would solve the issue. I have had my "G" router about 5 years now.

A poster on a another forum mentioned that that fixed his "youtube issues".

I use a "N" WAP on my "G" router for wireless for my laptop. My desktop and Roku devices are hardwired.

Onedollar

join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA
kudos:6

No it wont fix your you tube issue

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan
reply to AlanM

youtube has been horrible here as well, glad it is not only us....

navyson

Upper Marlboro, MD

3 edits
reply to AlanM

I just checked out a few sites with online video(CNN, a couple other news sites, Hulu, etc). All played with no problems.

NBC had partnered with youtube in the live streaming of the 2012 Olympics last summer. I do not recall having much problems then.

Something has changed since then to cause youtube using Verizon FIOS going downhill.

I have checked a few other cable forums here and the youtube issues seem alot more prevalent here than with the other providers.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit

said by navyson:

Something has changed since then to cause youtube using Verizon FIOS going downhill.
providers.

If you scroll up afew you will see that nycdave explained the reason for the slow speeds. Sad part is no time frame on when it will be rectified.

"Until Google provides more peering capacity with Verizon, the problem will continue. Verizon can't force Google to increase Google's peering links to increase traffic from Verizon"

navyson

Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to AlanM

Did Google decrease the "peering" capacity since the summer of 2012 when NBC in partnership with youtube had live streaming of the Olympics?

I had no problems watching 1080p live coverage during the Olympics this past summer. Now, it is February, a few months after the fact and at times, I can barely stream a 360p video.

Did google cut back on the peering links since then? I can only assume there were alot more streaming requests from Verizon customers during the Olympics than what we have now.

shmee

join:2005-04-03
Phoenixville, PA
reply to AlanM

i'm just happy to finally see that i'm not alone with this issue. it was really driving me nuts. i was resetting my routers, running dns benchmarks and switching around nameservers, so on and so forth, all because of this horrible youtube buffering.

i just recently got into minecraft pretty heavily (yeah, i know... i'm late to the party!) and i'm dying to watch the myriad of youtube videos with respect to the game and its content, but it's been utterly miserable trying to slug through with things as they are right now. :/

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16
reply to navyson

It's increased traffic due to more customers on FiOS - if Google doesn't increase their peering capacity as the traffic increases, you see what happens.....

navyson

Upper Marlboro, MD

1 edit

said by nycdave:

It's increased traffic due to more customers on FiOS - if Google doesn't increase their peering capacity as the traffic increases, you see what happens.....

Since you seem to be someone in the know, do you know if Verizon has requested Google to increase the peering links?

If this issue isn't resolved, when Verizon introduces its new DVR a few months from now that has a youtube channel, that channel will basically be worthless if you can stream anything from youtube.

I don't want to hear that is just a youtube problem. Verizon needs to work proactviely with google/youtube to solve this issue. Youtube is one of the most visited sites on the internet and my hope is that that Verizon would not want to follow ignore this obviously big issue.

navyson

Upper Marlboro, MD

1 edit
reply to nycdave

said by nycdave:

Comcast has millions more broadband customers than FIOS and their customers don't seem to have alot of complaints with youtube streaming.

I came from Comcast to FIOS and I don't remember having youtube issues. I spoke with two friends of mine on Comcast now and they both don't have any problems streaming youtube videos.

Comcast can have the foresight to make sure it has enough peering links to youtube and Verizon didn't make sure it had enough? Something is wrong here.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

1 recommendation

Please check out this link as a start. You need to know a little more about tier-1 carriers. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_1_network

Here's a list of large Tier-2 carriers. Note the second paragraph of the text. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_2_network

Google is not on this list, although that does not mean it is not tier-2.
A tier-2 purchases transit from a tier-1, not the other way. Tier-3 typically purchases transit from a tier-2.

Purchase cost includes bandwidth. If you have a skinny pipe because that's all you're willing to pay, peak time access will suffer.

Comcast is a tier-2 ISP. Get a traceroute from a comcast address to youtube to see who provides transit.

From my VZ address, traceroute to youtube goes through Verizon through alter.net to the google gateway. While alter.net is a verizon business component, there's lots of folks who know VZ's right hand doesn't know what its left hand is doing.

You may find a traceroute to youtube from home a bit different than one from work. You can't tell if the hop is on a fat pipe or a skinny pipe, but I'll bet if a hop is showing packet loss and lag, it's a skinny pipe or it has a lot of traffic going through it.

I believe the recent FiOS slowdowns are almost certainly the result of rapid expansion into Quantum tiers. That's the single most recent event with the largest impact on network congestion. As FiOS subscribers continue to complain about network congestion, it will get addressed. Changes to a tier-1 network are never quickly made. Someone has already said it will take about 3 or 4 months for the network to settle down, same as it did when FiOS pushed the envelope with the new high-speed tiers back in 2010 and several times since then.

One really interesting problem is how google's gigabit fiber in Kansas City will transit to the internet.

MrFujiKicker

join:2010-08-30
Flushing, NY

1 recommendation

reply to AlanM

Someone from Reddit figured out the solution to remove the whole Google Peering or the whole intentional bandwidth throttling by Google.

»www.reddit.com/r/technology/comm···_stream/ sort by: Top

Basically, you need to block out the IP range that causes the bandwidth throttling, while you're trying to watch a Youtube under any video bitrate. I've tested this out and it works really well, utilizes my maximum bandwidth without any buffer.

Block IP from 206.111.0.0 to 206.111.255.255 within your Inbound Rules of your Windows Firewall. This link will help you proceed through the process on how to block the IP ranges: »www.studyblog.net/2011/10/block-···irewall/ Under step 9, where you input the IPs, it's best to select "This IP address range" for easier inputs of your IP range.

Once you set this all up, you'll be able to watch any Youtube video with your glorious speeds.

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan

Thank you, I just configured the rule and I'll see what happens later today

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to AlanM

If you want to see where the YouTube /Google content is actually coming from, open a command window and type netstat, this will list all open network connections

From there you will find the IP of where the YouTube is sending the video from. The above IP block is all owned be XO communications.