'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
PorkRoll NJ

Pureblood to AlanM

Premium Member

to AlanM

Re: Horrible youtube speeds

it is very bad today, to say its completely hosed would be an understatement....

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72
said by elefante72:

It's not the backbone, if they hosted it in a Terremark CDN it would work better, but I'm sorry to say that everyone I talk to can't stream youtube from 5-11PM reliably. But at the same time I can stream 2 hidef streams from Netflix no problem or anything else. And as far as I know Verizon hasn't signed up for Netflix CDN yet.

I run my own DNS servers and have played with the

Plain and simple Youtube sucks and the fact that they use flash doesn't help. Maybe when HTML5 gets migrated it gets better, but Google is not doing a good job here.

Works like a charm on Time Warner ultimate internet here even at peak time usage hours. I been checking this forum since I am ordering fios due to upstream packet loss on time warner, but this thread is 1 small red flag to me with fios so far.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829 to Pureblood

to Pureblood
said by Pureblood:

it is very bad today, to say its completely hosed would be an understatement....

I must have watched more than a dozen videos of varying qualities up to 1080p last night from 9PM to 1AM ET here (SE Pennsylvania) without a single glitch or buffer.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to kilrathi

to kilrathi
I have 50/25 FioS and changing this 23 minute vid to 1080p, the whole thing downloaded in 2 minutes flat . No troubles here, but I dont watch youtube often.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Qk-RTmlQ
djbis
join:2002-08-07
Wilmington, DE

djbis to CptFudge

to CptFudge
i tried to handle the IP blocking through my router and the results have not changed much. The first few days it seemed better, but I still have really bad days. So I don't know if the change has made any difference. Youtube buffering results have always been inconsistent.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

Not sure why my previous comment was removed. Again all these changes to routers and blocking do not seem to change or enhance performance. There is no evidence that they are having the desired effect of improving streaming from google consistently.

Any change seen is either temporary or placebo or is taking place during non peak hours when you would expect to see improved performance.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
join:2007-08-09
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3

I think I found the real issue here. I was watching You Tube videos last night on my iPad.

Using the downloaded YouTube app, video was HORRIBLE. Choppy, couldn't download entire video.

I then watched the same video via youtube web site via Safari browser, no problems what so ever.

This was about 9pm EST last night.

Could this just be related to the you tube app provided by Google?

TweakerInWA
Optimus
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
Syracuse, NY

TweakerInWA

Premium Member

Unlikely, I seem to get crappy streaming regardless of browser on my desktop or tablet, or if using the app on my Sony TV, phone, tablet... All pretty crappy including IE on the xbox or the Xbox youtube app... I dunno..
navyson
join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson to AlanM

to AlanM
With the IP range blocked, youtube streaming has been inconsistent. Initially, it seems to work the first week. Then, it went back to how it was.

This week, everything seem to stream okay from my laptop, desktop and roku box(youtube app).

Keeping my fingers crossed.

TweakerInWA
Optimus
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
Syracuse, NY

1 edit

TweakerInWA to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

I have 50/25 FioS and changing this 23 minute vid to 1080p, the whole thing downloaded in 2 minutes flat . No troubles here, but I dont watch youtube often.

The GT-R review is tons better !!!!
djbis
join:2002-08-07
Wilmington, DE

djbis to navyson

to navyson
Totally agree.
djbis

djbis to danclan

to danclan
Exactly my thoughts at this point.
djbis

djbis to AlanM

to AlanM
I did not have this problem with Comcast in my area, and I had 5/10 speed with them. Now I have 150/65.
Ever since I got Fios it has been a nightmare trying to enjoy almost any videos on youtube.

Using apps, specially the Youtube app is the worst ever.

Don't know what to think. Nobody seems to know exactly what the problem is and who is at fault.

NOTE: Could it be a router issue? I assume most of us are dealing with the stupid Actiontech router that verizon gives us. People have told me that its the router so to test I hooked up OLD FAITHFUL, an old Linksys, and for the couple of hours that I had it hooked up I actually saw a big improvement with youtube! But the thing is, I only tested it for a short amount of time.

Are there any Fios customers using other routers? What is their experience on Youtube?

JohnCC
join:2005-12-19
none

JohnCC

It's not a router issue, no. You probably just got lucky. I have never used the verizon router because I pay for FiOS business and I suffer slow speeds.

vishal207
@verizon.net

vishal207

Anon

I too am having issues in the arlington/dc area! so annoying!!!

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

houkouonchi to djbis

to djbis
said by djbis:

Don't know what to think. Nobody seems to know exactly what the problem is and who is at fault.

People who work in the networking industry (isps/ content providers/etc) know whos fault it is and what the problem is.

Its been said before.

Verizon (along with a select few others) is a tier1 transit provider. This basically means they 'are' the internet and do settlement free peering with all the other tier1 providers. This means bandwidth does not cost them money (they just have to increase their capacity). Google *buys* bandwidth from people. They bought bandwidth (or paid for peering) with Verizon and they are running their links at capacity.

Google could modify their BGP and push traffic to VZ over their other transit providers and fix it or they could pay VZ more money and buy more capacity. Its on google though. There is *Nothing* vz can do about this.

Now a lot of ISPs that are not tier1 transit providers like vz are happy to pier with google (usually for free) because that means they aren't paying for bandwidth used on their transit connections when traffic comes from google as they also have to pay for transit. VZ has no obligation or reason to do this because they don't have to pay for transit/bandwidth costs. If anything their is an incentive not to offer free peering because they could otherwise get money from that person as a customer instead.

Its not that difficult to understand.

Its like saying its vz should force a customer on a higher speed fios package because they saturate their connection alot. Its the customer's choice not the provider.

finally
@verizon.net

finally to vishal207

Anon

to vishal207
i was so pist off for two months because of youtube, i almost gave up on it. I tried the fix by adding the ip addresses to the advanced firewall section of my verizon router. I also added the browser config options below:

if you are using chrome browse, type 'chrome://flags' in the address bar of the browser. It will open a config page and look for an option to enable 'experimental pipelining'. You will then need to scroll down and click the restart button on the bottom after clicking the enable link for pipelining.

In firefox, use this »dilipb.blogspot.com/2011 ··· ing.html .

I now get 90000 kbps on my youtube videos following these steps. Not sure about IE.
finally

finally

Anon

Here is the link to add the ip address blocks to your verizon router.

»How-to: Reddit YouTube firewall rule with MI424wr

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to AlanM

Premium Member

to AlanM
The primary reason cable company's and even Verizon wireless ( which is not a tier one provider ) is faster / better response with YouTube content is they cache most YouTube content within their network ( copy the content to locally servers owned by the ISP ), they don't do this for the end user, they do this because it saves money by not having to keep paying for the same content over and over again ( transits networks charges )

Verizon, our ISP, pays no such charges so there is no economic reason to have to buy, maintain and mange the caching servers.

Its as simple as that, Verizon users get there content direct from Google and is dependent on Google's resources ... tier two and three provider have local copies since its costs less overall

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler to AlanM

to AlanM
I've noticed that YouTube streaming has been pretty bad for the past couple of weeks. Prior to that, I had no issues. I tried both of the "fixes" linked to by "finally", 2 and 3 posts previous and there has been no improvement.

A vid will run for 10 - 15 secs, run out the buffer, hang for 5 - 10 secs and then continue and repeat. I did notice that it NEVER seems to happen in the prefix ads, if you let them run their full length...

I've used the YouTube app on my Samsung BluRay player. That's connected over my wireless LAN and there are no hangs with it.

I'm on a 25/25 provision that consistently tests at ~30d x 25u.
v4npro
join:2008-10-24
Baltimore, MD

v4npro

Same thing, VERY SLOW buffering. Loads at 10-500 kb/s, then stops... I got cache server IP's blocked too.

Using OpenDNS as well.

finally
@verizon.net

finally

Anon

try changing to an hd resolution like 720 p or 1080 p after the video loads. There should be like a three second pause because of the ip rejection , but after switching the resolution it goes fast for me. Also, i do have my DNS set to google dns server. 8.8.8.8 or something like that (not sure if this helps).

Hopefully, someone else has the same results as me.

Pos
@verizon.net

Pos

Anon

This past week has given me nothing but problems when trying to watch youtube vids. I have no problems watching them at school. This has just started recently and is annoying as hell!!
dpridgen
Premium Member
join:2004-01-14
Port Washington, NY

dpridgen to AlanM

Premium Member

to AlanM
I have also been having problems the past week or so. The oe thing I have found is that being in auto mode seems to make it worse. When the video initially starts playing, it will buffer pretty slow then stop after 10-15 seconds. If I go directly to the settings and change the mode from auto to the highest def possible, it immediately resumes and plays with no problems after that.

NYC User
@verizon.net

NYC User to AlanM

Anon

to AlanM
I'm in NYC. I had time warner on an old computer before and youtube ran faster than my computer. I have super fast machine now and I regret to switching to verizon - youtube speed is worse than dial-up circa 1998. It definitely has to be a verizon problem and they should take every step to fix it.

Chris123NT
join:2001-11-24
Palm Bay, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD
Motorola MB8611

Chris123NT to AlanM

to AlanM
The past 2 nights it has been worse than ever. Between 8 PM and 11:30 PM youtube videos don't even ATTEMPT to stream. You just get a still shot of the first frame. I let it sit for 10 minutes and NOTHING happened. No joke, this is totally ridiculous.
mario44222
join:2003-11-22
Cliffside Park, NJ

mario44222 to AlanM

to AlanM
Same issue here as well in NJ.
mario44222

mario44222

I ended up blocking 173.194.43.x/255.255.255.0 and seems like speeds are normal again which are a different subnet from the reddit articles.

timestamp seconds 29.401
640x360, 292 average kbps, 100% volume
TagStreamPlayer, HTTP, 11008 kbps
24 stage fps, 24 video fps, 371 dropped, 0 kbps
software video rendering, accelerated video decoding
-15.290 db, 1 audio factor

Before kbps was like 30-500

Pos
@verizon.net

Pos

Anon

Spoke with them again. Basically he told my to open up cmd and type in "tracert youtube"..

From the results he told me there is "latency" on the "7th hop". At that point I was like DAFUQ. Basically google and verizon are trying to work out a way to sustain more users. He said it is a known issue and they are trying to resolve it.
JohnGalt21
join:2012-12-14
Ridgefield, NJ

JohnGalt21 to AlanM

to AlanM
This is definitely related to FiOS. Until 2 weeks ago I had Time Warner Cable, and never had issues with Youtube despite slow connection (15/1). Now that I switched to FiOS (75/35), I can't watch any Youtube video without it stopping in the middle and taking ages to start playing again.