how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Urnso

join:2001-02-26
Cleveland, OH

[Newsgroups] Bye Astraweb

I had a few months on my year contract but it feels so good to send the cancellation notice and let them know that they are failing to provide the service they advertise. I found my new home and sure it costs a little more but the service is working!

How many subs do you think have left? 1000's? It's like watching a great empire crumble. Sad.....
--
It's hard to make something fool proof, when the fools already have a head start!

bbhog

join:2010-07-05
North York, ON
Yeah I left them at the end of 2011. I wasn't happy with the degrading service so I bailed. I've been with Highwinds since.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
reply to Urnso
I'd like to dump AW too. If anyone has a viable alternative usent provider please PM me with some details.
--
BHell... A Public Futility.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to Urnso
yeah I'm going to can them too but got a few months lift from my yearly sub. akfubar PM sent.

Frink
Professor
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Scotch Plains, NJ
Oh please, PM me too...I am not happy with AW.

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
reply to Urnso
Everyone should dump Astraweb like a bad habit. Astraweb aren't nothing but patsies atm and aren't worth a squirt of you know what.

JazzJRabbit

join:2003-09-27
Wheaton, IL
reply to Urnso
What kind of problems? I don't really have speed problems with Astraweb. They have US and EU servers, if either one is slow, the other one is usually fine. The only problem I have with Astraweb is automated DMCA takedowns, but it seems that most usenet providers are affected by it now. If anybody knows a usenet provider that isn't, or at least not to such large degree - pm me please.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by JazzJRabbit:

What kind of problems? I don't really have speed problems with Astraweb. They have US and EU servers, if either one is slow, the other one is usually fine. The only problem I have with Astraweb is automated DMCA takedowns, but it seems that most usenet providers are affected by it now. If anybody knows a usenet provider that isn't, or at least not to such large degree - pm me please.

Yes the takedowns are a major pain with AW. Their automated process takes down posts pretty much immediately.
--
BHell... A Public Futility.

Frink
Professor
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Scotch Plains, NJ
Over the past few weeks on the US SSL server I have noticed speed fluctuations that I have never seen with AW before. Wild ups and downs, drops to 0kb, and back up to my line speed...I am pretty sick of it.

trick91

join:2005-02-05
t5x5f1
reply to TOPDAWG
i also have AW and its a pain lately. would appreciate anyone sending me a PM with another provider.

sfl0w

join:2010-07-20
Birmingham, AL
reply to Urnso
Newshosting is my secret sauce, well that and also a backup provider that will remain nameless Astraweb = epic FAIL

TOPDAWG
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to Urnso
ok pm sent to everyone who asked.

paulnrld

join:2001-11-15
Sun Prairie, WI
kudos:1
Can you send that to me as well via PM? Been trying to figure out who to sign up with since AW dropped everyone due to CC billing change.

Thanks in advance!

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC
reply to Urnso
I am curious why we need to PM the secret? I still have my AW account because I signed up for the 1 year deal but I also bought a 3 month deal at Tweaknews because of the take down non-sense at AW. I am not happy with TweakNews. Yes I can get what I need from them but their speeds are half at best what they claim.

kizer8

join:2003-08-05
Peoria, IL
reply to TOPDAWG
Can you send that to me as well via PM?

TOPDAWG
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to Urnso
no point to PM now MM is right give them a try.

Martindziad
Premium
join:2002-04-04
Chicago, IL
reply to TOPDAWG
Yeah thinking about leaving them also.

Rojo

join:2009-04-14
New York, NY
reply to Urnso
A download via Astra right now is coming in at under 1MB/s, but that's through a 7MB/s pipeline. And it's not the ISP because they test fine. It's Astra.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2
Hummmmmm. I'm pulling over 2 Mbit/s from AW-US with just one thread while posting this. No problems getting 26 Mbits/s with more threads going( I usually use 10).

OK, bandwidth should be back, I'm done for a while.............
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

gfry22
Premium
join:2007-07-26
Lakeville, MN
reply to mm
Tweak has been faster for me than AW. have 100 mbit down isp. average at night is around 75 mbit from tweak. Day around 40 mbit. Only complaint is tweaks header dl's are slower than molasses

St0ry

join:2004-02-16
USA
Tweak's headers are also limited to the past 30 days? Can anyone confirm?

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
reply to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

yeah I'm going to can them too but got a few months lift from my yearly sub. akfubar PM sent.

PM me as well, please? AW going after TV shows, now. Enough is enough....

DeathRowsFinest
Tru Prophet

join:2001-03-15
Moreno Valley, CA
reply to Urnso
Can someone kindly hit me with a PM also.

I have tried the following

Astraweb
Easynews
usenet.net
hitnews
usernetnow
blocknews
supernews

TIA

ag101

join:2011-08-31
L1P 0A9
reply to Urnso
Yes, I've been dealing with Astra's takedowns and bad speeds for a while.. I'm just about fed up now.. If anyone has any alternatives, please PM.

kiamsiamdala

join:2001-11-05
Utica, MI
reply to DeathRowsFinest
»www.ngprovider.com/euro-based-us···ders.php

Check out some of the trials, consider block accounts for fills and automating downloads.
--
'void planets roll regardless of desolation'

Lenny 81

join:2013-03-23
Can someone pm me too please. Am on ssl-news atm but like every one else it's been hit with take downs now.

anyhelp

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Urnso
I have been using newsgroupdirect, but literally every single file is incomplete now... Any help would be much appreciated.

gfry22
Premium
join:2007-07-26
Lakeville, MN
Tweaknews has been good so far- had them for the past 3 months. Retention about 1100 days. Recent(over 30 days) headers seem fine. No recent fails. Costs about $18/mo plus approx 50 cent international transaction fee ( credit card payment/they stopped using paypal)for unlimited speed/data. They have block plans also. I'm happy with them.

BlueC

join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Integra Telecom
reply to Urnso
I'm surprised to see so many complaints with Astraweb's throughput.

I have 100m down at home. I've never had a problem saturating my connection, although I have both the US and EU servers split for the #of connections.

Only complaint I have is the automated takedowns. Other than that, I can see the full 95mbps (Ethernet overhead) 99.9% of the time.

My guess is the upstream ISP people are using has congested routes to Astraweb's servers. Fortunately for me I control my upstream, have multiple paths to their servers and currently pull traffic over routes with uncongested peering, but I will say I don't see any throughput issues from their end.

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
said by BlueC:

I'm surprised to see so many complaints with Astraweb's throughput.

I have 100m down at home. I've never had a problem saturating my connection, although I have both the US and EU servers split for the #of connections.

Only complaint I have is the automated takedowns. Other than that, I can see the full 95mbps (Ethernet overhead) 99.9% of the time.

My guess is the upstream ISP people are using has congested routes to Astraweb's servers. Fortunately for me I control my upstream, have multiple paths to their servers and currently pull traffic over routes with uncongested peering, but I will say I don't see any throughput issues from their end.

No wonder - it's probably you and a dozen other customers left