uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
reply to stevek1949

Re: House offer process - NJ specific and urgent

said by stevek1949:

Do not use a home inspector that is referred from either the sellers or your agent. Find a reputable inspector in the area, which are probably easy to find.

Make the contingency to use an indepent, certified home inspector. If possible, be available to be there during the inspection, or at least have someone trusted.

The inspector won't tell you if there is code compliance, but should give you indications on if work needs to be done, such as an electrical panel needs to be replaced or updated.

I am not a a home inspector or real estate agent, just speaking from experience.

How would i find a trustworthy inspector? Online reviews are all BS, can't trust realtors for this, don't know anyone in NJ area to ask. This is way more fun than I thought it would be

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

How would i find a trustworthy inspector? Online reviews are all BS, can't trust realtors for this, don't know anyone in NJ area to ask. This is way more fun than I thought it would be

Angies List is a good place to start. Craig's List is a good place to avoid!

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
kudos:1
reply to Dodge

Housemaster has a couple offices out that way. Great service from them in the past here in PA.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to bmilone2

said by bmilone2:

You didn't state if this is in north Jersey or South Jersey. In North Jersey Attorney handles the closing while in South Jersey Title Companies handle closings.

interesting. I live in Central Jersey, My purchase was handled by my attorney; my refi by the title search company.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to Dodge

said by Dodge:

This is central NJ (I think), Manalapan area.

This is the beginning of South jersey.
--

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

But don't expect a contingency that you sell your existing home first. (Would you accept such a contingency if you were the seller? I wouldn't.)

its a buyer's market...
--

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to stevek1949

said by stevek1949:

Do not use a home inspector that is referred from either the sellers or your agent. Find a reputable inspector in the area, which are probably easy to find.

Make the contingency to use an indepent, certified home inspector. If possible, be available to be there during the inspection, or at least have someone trusted.

The inspector won't tell you if there is code compliance, but should give you indications on if work needs to be done, such as an electrical panel needs to be replaced or updated.

I am not a a home inspector or real estate agent, just speaking from experience.

I'm an Engineer in NJ. I strongly recommend that your Home Inspector be a licensed PE with significant experience in home inspections.
--

Dodge
Premium

What's licensed PE? I am not sure what the PE abbreviation stands for

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

Professional Engineer, with a state license to certify that a design is safe and meets code.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

said by garys_2k:

Professional Engineer, with a state license to certify that a design is safe and meets code.

or do inspections of existing conditions.
--

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to Dodge

Bruce Springsteen's old house is for sale for $350,000. Maybe you want to buy this one instead! This is where he wrote Born to Run. Lot size is 25'x95'.
»www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/20···run.html

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to AVD

said by AVD:

said by Bob4:

But don't expect a contingency that you sell your existing home first. (Would you accept such a contingency if you were the seller? I wouldn't.)

its a buyer's market...

Not only that but it is done all of the time as well.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Dodge
Premium
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

Bruce Springsteen's old house is for sale for $350,000. Maybe you want to buy this one instead! This is where he wrote Born to Run. Lot size is 25'x95'.
»www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/20···run.html

If he didn't live there that house would be worth around a 100k if that.

Dodge
Premium
reply to stevek1949

said by stevek1949:

Angies List is a good place to start. Craig's List is a good place to avoid!

I don't know what the inside of Angie's list is as I am not paying for something I can't even see. Trial membership would make them a lot more meaningful and would imply that they stand behind their site, but when I was setting up an account (without realizing that it's a paid service), I specifically unchecked the newsletters potion. I didn't even complete account setup, as I stopped at the payment, and in 2 days I have 5 random emails from them promoting different random crap. Yeah this makes me all warm and fuzzy about giving them any money (and yes I'm aware that it's dirt cheap).

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to AVD

said by AVD:

said by stevek1949:

I'm an Engineer in NJ. I strongly recommend that your Home Inspector be a licensed PE with significant experience in home inspections.

Completely agreed! Best money you can spend ....

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to Dodge

Be sure of what you're getting to. If I had to buy a house today it would not be in NJ.

You've seen the taxes for your home right?

Dodge
Premium

said by fifty nine:

Be sure of what you're getting to. If I had to buy a house today it would not be in NJ.

Yes, I've seen the taxes. Are there any other reasons against NJ or just taxes?

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

+ 1E06 ...
--

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to Dodge

said by Dodge:

taxes are just the beginning....
--

Dodge
Premium

said by AVD:

said by Dodge:

taxes are just the beginning....

That's not very helpful.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to Dodge

said by Dodge:

I grew up in NJ and still visit friends/family there. Not sure I'd ever go back as it's too dominated by the cities and slums.

Way too much "nanny state" stuff. Extremely limited firearms and self defence policies (no stand your ground), high taxes (not only property), and a few othere.

Dodge
Premium

said by itguy05:

said by Dodge:

I grew up in NJ and still visit friends/family there. Not sure I'd ever go back as it's too dominated by the cities and slums.

Way too much "nanny state" stuff. Extremely limited firearms and self defence policies (no stand your ground), high taxes (not only property), and a few othere.

So basically moving from NY I won't see any difference.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Dodge

Well it's crowded and your car insurance will probably be higher than you're used to. Average income is pretty much the highest in the country. Gas is $3.45 per gallon and you sit in your car while someone else stands in the cold and pumps it for you. The state doesn't seem to be able to repair potholes or repave the roads.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to Dodge

said by Dodge:

So basically moving from NY I won't see any difference.

Guess not.