Search similar:

uniqs

fritz43
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14

fritz43

Premium Member

[DSL] Which SMTP port?

Setting up Eudora 7.x. in Win 7 64 bit. Frontier is blocking SMTP port 25. What is the alternate port number? Anyone?
gozer9
Premium Member
join:2010-08-09
Rochester, NY

gozer9

Premium Member

Many web and mail hosts provide an alternate port to thier smtp mail server. Mine has 2525 open. What host is it?

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank to fritz43

Premium Member

to fritz43
AOL uses 110 and 587, my other uses 995 and 465. But check with your email service as gozer stated.
FTR Tech
join:2013-02-12

FTR Tech to fritz43

to fritz43
Port 25 is not neccesarily blocked it is monitored. Frontier requires that all outgoing servers be authenticated. If your email is on the Frontier/Yahoo webmail page then you should try pop3.frontier.com on port 995 with SSL for your incoming and smtp.frontier.com on port 465 with SSL.
Make sure that your outgoing server is set to "requires authentication" and use your full Frontier email address and password to authenticate. Some email clients are a little more versatile like Thunderbird and will allow incoming with on 110 with no SSL and outgoing on 465 with authentication. The combination works in the other direction as well from time to time.
If you continue to have issues feel free to call our help desk @ 1-800-239-4430.

I hope this helps.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

FTR Tech - Could you expand on that. If port 25 is only monitored and the outgoing servers are authenticated then why can one not simply change to another email provider and have it work?
gozer9
Premium Member
join:2010-08-09
Rochester, NY

gozer9

Premium Member

Yes Frontier blocks port 25 to all smtp servers except Frontier's own mail system. So to the FTR tech you have assumed that Fritz was having trouble with Frontier's smtp but more than likely he was trying to use an smtp other than Frontier's. This is why I had asked Fritz what mail host he was trying to conect to.

Here is proof of the block on port 25.

Port 25 blocking prevents spammers from sending masses of unauthorized junk e-mail. Port 25 is the port, or connection, on your computer through which outgoing e-mail must pass.

Due to an increase of complaints about spam (Internet junk mail) and computer viruses sent via outgoing e-mail messages, as of December 3, 2003, Frontier has blocked all SMTP SMTP
When you are exchanging email on the Internet SMTP is the computing technology that keeps the process orderly. SMTP allows emails to be sent outbound via the Internet or a network of computers. Emails are retrieved on the inbound side by one of two protocols POP POP
One of two forms of technology that allow your computer to retrieve email messages from the Internet or a network of computers. The other newer protocol is IMAP IMAP
One of two forms of technology that allow your computer to retrieve email messages from the Internet or a network of computers. The other older protocol is POP Post Office Protocol. Outbound messages are sent with SMTP Simple Message Transport Protocol. Instant Message Access Protocol. Outbound messages are sent with SMTP Simple Message Transport Protocol. Post Office Protocol or the newer IMAP IMAP
One of two forms of technology that allow your computer to retrieve email messages from the Internet or a network of computers. The other older protocol is POP Post Office Protocol. Outbound messages are sent with SMTP Simple Message Transport Protocol. Instant Message Access Protocol. (port 25) traffic over our network from Frontier High Speed Internet customers (with dynamic IPs) that is not sent through Frontier outgoing mail servers (smtp.frontier.com). We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

This change only applies if you have a dynamic IP address. If you have Frontier Business Class High Speed Internet (or SDSL) and a static IP address, your outgoing e-mail will not be affected by this change.

If you have been affected by this change, please change your outgoing mail server to the following:

smtp.frontier.com

You might also have to configure your e-mail program to authenticate to our outgoing mail server. For instructions on how to do so, please visit our SMTP Authentication web site.

Note: Some customers telecommuting from home may be unable to send e-mail using their companies' e-mail systems. For your own security, we suggest establishing a secure connection via an application such as VPN, in order to utilize the outgoing mail server for your place of business.

fritz43
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14

fritz43

Premium Member

Hi guys: the mail server I was trying to connect to *was* smtp.frontier.com. To be clear, I can send and receive emails just fine, but I still get the error. The exact msg follows:

"[email ID]@frontier.com. Shutting down POP connection. QUIT. [time] Error reading from network. Cause: connection aborted due to timeout or other failure. [10053]"

The Frontier tech verified that the default ports were SMTP = 25 and POP = 110. Then he had me enable SSL and change ports but Eudora (or Frontier, or both) didn't like that at all. Gave up on that.

I even stopped scanning in & out mail with Avast Internet Security - made no difference - still got the 10053.

This has now become a matter of stubborn curiosity. The 10053 error is rampant if you believe Google, but *nobody* including Frontier has a clue as to what's going on.

Ironically, my Dell laptop runs perfectly thru my wireless network but does not inform me what ports it's using because it's running a slightly earlier version of Eudora, which does not include port setting in the Tools > Options setup. So I am stymied for now. Fritz

Win7, 64 bit - Eudora 7.1.0.9 - router/modem Westell A90-750044-07 Rev C
fritz43

fritz43 to gozer9

Premium Member

to gozer9
Hi guys: the mail server I was trying to connect to *was* smtp.frontier.com. To be clear, I can send and receive emails just fine, but I still get the error. The exact msg follows:

"[email ID]@frontier.com. Shutting down POP connection. QUIT. [time] Error reading from network. Cause: connection aborted due to timeout or other failure. [10053]"

The Frontier tech verified that the default ports were SMTP = 25 and POP = 110. Then he had me enable SSL and change ports but Eudora (or Frontier, or both) didn't like that at all. Gave up on that.

I even stopped scanning in & out mail with Avast Internet Security - made no difference - still got the 10053.

This has now become a matter of stubborn curiosity. The 10053 error is rampant if you believe Google, but *nobody* including Frontier has a clue as to what's going on.

Ironically, my Dell laptop runs perfectly thru my wireless network but does not inform me what ports it's using because it's running a slightly earlier version of Eudora, which does not include port setting in the Tools > Options setup. So I am stymied for now. Fritz

Win7, 64 bit - Eudora 7.1.0.9 - router/modem Westell A90-750044-07 Rev C
fritz43

fritz43

Premium Member

The above double double posting posting == brain brain cramp cramp.

Sorry. Sorry.

f