Search similar:

uniqs

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Book of Heroes

Anyone play this game on their iPhone/iPad?

I heard Dills from the podcast "The Instance" talking about it one day, so I decided to download it. And I must say, so far it is awesome.

It's basically an MMO that you can play from your phone/tablet. I've just started, (level 7...cap is 30) so I'm still learning about the game. But, so far I've noticed that their are guilds, crafting, and even raids. There's a global chat channel, and everyone seems to be rather helpful. There are three classes to choose from; Justicar (tank type), Shadow Walker (melee dps), and War Mage (ranged dps).

I suggest you guys at least check it out, it's free to download. Like I said, so far it's great fun.
Josof
join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA

Josof

Sounds good. Is there an option to play offline Mc?

Phantasee
join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

Phantasee to McBrain

to McBrain
Is it a 3D mmo kinda like Order and Chaos?

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain to Josof

to Josof
Naw, no option to play offline, which sucks. Outside of "raids" and chat, everything could be accomplished offline, but there's no option.

And no, Phantasee, it's not 3D, more of a turn based type set-up where you fight monsters whose pictures are on cards.

It's free to play, and a relatively tiny download. I'd suggest you guys check it out.

The level cap is 30, and there are two ways to progress your character; level and might. Might is more or less a gear score, and some items can be purchased with in game currency that don't have a level requirement, so "twinking" your guy out is pretty fun.

I'm yet to do a raid, but I have gotten into a guild that raids...being on the phone when one is getting put together is the tough part since I'm in Japan and ~14 hours ahead of everyone else.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to McBrain

to McBrain
I downloaded it yesterday and got a battle mage up to 9. It's a fun little game. Best MMO type game yet I've played on iOS. They've actually done a decent job with it and it's fun. It's pay-to-win (of course), but not overly so.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

said by Raible:

It's pay-to-win (of course), but not overly so.

Definitely. I dropped a couple bucks on some golden shields the first day I played...it set me up perfectly, level 15 with 1800 might on my Shadow Walker, lol. Specced basically into aoe, I pretty much global packs of 3 mobs that are my same level. I got an invite to raid this afternoon, but I was sitting in my Chief's office getting the rundown on my new battalion...not sure he would have been cool with me slaying the Kraken in the middle of the day on my first day at work.
McBrain

McBrain to Raible

to Raible
Just an update:

The Shadow Walker is level 16 now (haven't quested much)

2,422 might; I one-shot mobs 1-2 levels higher than me.

I'm still sticking with the AoE-Poison build, putting most of my hero tokens into melee power and crit chance. The spares are tossed into defensive stats (resist or dodge).

I've done several raids since my last post. Raids work like this; you go in and kill waves of mobs (their level depends on the raid), after every wave, it costs 2 energy to proceed. As your guild progresses through the raid, the completion % will show on your screen. You get points for the amount you've contributed to the raid. The top three contributors at the end of the raid receive bonuses to their rewards (20, 15, and 10% respectively). You use the currency given to you to buy higher level items.

The whole key to raiding successfully in this game is energy management. There are sigils that can be bought from Majerio's Shop that will increase your energy cap by 2, 4, 6, and 10...there are multiple sigils for most (i.e. 3 different sigils that increase energy by 2, two different sigils that increase energy by 4). I suggest investing in these sigils as soon and as often as possible. Afterall, the larger your energy pool, the more monsters you can kill at once and the more you'll contribute to the raid. You can also purchase potions for gold shields that will replenish your energy. These are available in the black market for a small amount of gold shields. Yet another option is to replenish your energy by spending gold shields; 2 shields will get you 4 energy, 3 will get you 8 energy, and 4 will get you 12.

The strategy I suggest is to plod along at low levels and save your currency as much as possible (gold shields and silver). When you are able to acquire gear with gem slots, unlock the slots as quickly as possible, and insert the highest level gems in them that you can afford (gem stat values increase with level). I suggest you spend your silver on gems and unlocking gem slots. Save your gold shields to increase and replenish your energy.

This game is definitely pay to win to an extent, but you can definitely progress at a decent clip without paying. I mean, the game was designed to play for 10-15 minutes at a time while you're waiting in line at the bank, etc.

It really is a great game, definitely the best I've ever played on iOS.

I'm in a guild called PTS Power Tactics Spellcraft. We're pretty active (do low level raids on cooldown, and higher level raids once a day), and the guys in the guild are super nice. Once you hit level 4, search for us by typing "pts" in the guild search tab. We'll accept you and I can help to show you the ropes if you're interested.

Raible
Plainfield, IN

Raible to McBrain

to McBrain
I couldn't figure out how in the hell you had twice the might as me at level 15. I know you said you put a bit of money in at the start, but come on.

Turns out it's pretty fun spending 950 Hero points training at level 15. Haha. Never had hit that button before.
Vorpil
join:2010-01-30
Wright City, MO

Vorpil

Been playing since last saturday. Thanks for listing this, Brain It's nice to be able to play something that doesn't take a lot of attention while doing other things, as opposed to being stuck in front of the computer and not being able to move.

My war mage is 14, however his might is only 1,100....Not sure how you're getting so much might so quickly? I've spent all my hero points in training. The only thing I can think of is that I still need to unlock some of the 2nd gem slots and stick gems in them.

I may have to check out the shadow walker.....My war mage can 3 cast packs my lvl and 2 cast single targets, but I can't 1 shot anything at my same lvl. All hero points have been put into magic, haste, crit chance and crit power.
Vorpil

Vorpil

Ohh, and I'm Thad in the gulid

Raible
Plainfield, IN

Raible to Vorpil

to Vorpil
said by Vorpil:

My war mage is 14, however his might is only 1,100....Not sure how you're getting so much might so quickly? I've spent all my hero points in training. The only thing I can think of is that I still need to unlock some of the 2nd gem slots and stick gems in them.

I am level 18 and have exactly 1,800 might. I have noticed the gems increase your might ridiculously more than level/gear/stats do. I just bought a +8 haste gem and put it in a newly unlocked third slot and took me from 1500~something to 1,800. I just did that this morning, so I had been sitting at 1500 at level 18.

Bottom line...it appears to me thus far that the pay-to-win becomes more of an issue at higher levels. Either get sucked in and pay some money if you want to be uber, or just deal with the fact it takes you 3 casts to down a mob instead of 1.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Unlock the gem slots and put the best gems possible in there.
Vorpil
Wright City, MO

Vorpil

Up to level 21 and about 2200 might. Just unlocked the 300 soldier valor sigil after the last Kraken raid. I have yet to buy any shields, as I get a server error when trying...which is really starting to piss me off, cuz I want the 4 and 10 energy shield sigils, lol.
Vorpil

Vorpil

Quick update: Up to lvl 25 and around 3900 might.

Didn't want to let the thread die, as I think this really is a nice moble MMORPG. For people who are wanting something lite, on the go, and social, it fits perfictly.

Raible
Plainfield, IN

Raible to McBrain

to McBrain
I'm half way through level 24 and right at 3,000 might. I have not spent a dime on the game.

Maybe it's a sign when you try to go buy shields and it errors out. Someone's trying to tell you to not waste your money.

My guild is starting to piss me off. We are dicking around and not raiding hardly at all. I have next to nothing to show for Soldier emblems.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

My guild is pretty awesome, they raid constantly.

Power Tactics Spellcraft, search for them and put in an app.
Vorpil
Wright City, MO

Vorpil

Yeah, you'd fit right into where we're at progression wise Dissembled.

We usually do one of the soldier valor raids a day and squire valor raids are openend whenever there is enough people on that want to do one.

The only downside to this guild is that it has people from all over the world, so raid times are not always consistant, and on occasion we won't get one just because we can't get enough people on at the same time.

Not sure if you've done CoC yet. It's an onslaught raid, kind of different, certanly fun

If you havn't figured it out, I'm in the same guild as McBrain. Let me know if you app, I'll put in a good word.
Vorpil

Vorpil

Haven't seen McBrain in a while but the guild is still going strong. We are doing our first Helion raid this Saturday. 3900 might requirement.

Personally lvl 28 and 5800 might.

It looks as if the game might get pretty grindy from here on out, but I'm still enjoying the social aspect and competitiveness of the raids.
Vorpil

Vorpil to McBrain

to McBrain
Patch 1.6 dropped today. They integrated some neat new features, such as being able to merc while still staying in your current guild, and the introduction of a raid finder. They also increased the max guild size to 100 and buffed the Justicar class. In addition they added some new quest lines and put in a new raid.

On the down side they introduced a cap to the number of participants in each raid and lowered timers on most of the raids. This negative aspect has most people in an uproar, as it looks like a cash grab (since people are now required to burn gold shields to achieve finish the raid in the "gold" level) from a company who has been putting out a pretty good "free to play" game thus far.

I'm still going to stick with it and see how it pans out.

Raible
Plainfield, IN

Raible to McBrain

to McBrain
They'd better patch it fast. This update is horrid for raiding and raiding is the entire end game. I think they need to work on the max number of people who can be in the raid. And the screen recentering issue is driving me nuts.
Vorpil
Wright City, MO

Vorpil

Yeah, they went back and lowered the waves on all the raids, but kept the same participant caps.

Gold seems much easier now, but still requires GS to make up for the people that don't spend full E on the raids, or the mercs that join and only hit a few times.

Looking forward though, it should get even easier when everyone starts getting their extra e from the guild loyalty bonuses.