Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to StuartMW

Re: Java SE 7 Update 15 & Java SE 6 Update 41 released

Click for full size
I'm not allowed to download it on Fx or Opera. I have met all requirements. I allowed cookies and javascript is on and bypassing Proxo makes no difference.

The one at java.com wants to install Ask toolbar and I don't trust it to not do it even if I remove the checkmark. Plus, the one at java.com does NOT download the installer. It downloads something else and then you have to take FOREVER to download the installer and then it insults you with wanting to install Ask toolbar.

So, I guess I can't update.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

TheJoker
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2001-04-26
Charlottesville, VA
The offline installer at »www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/···dex.html does not include the optional toolbar. AFAIK the offline installer has never included the toolbar.
--
Proud ASAP member since 2005
Microsoft MVP/Consumer Security 2009-2010

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I'm not allowed to download it on Fx or Opera. I have met all requirements. I allowed cookies and javascript is on and bypassing Proxo makes no difference.

Ran into the same thing, but you can get it from them here.

I didn't wind up with a toolbar. It asked about installing some McAfee program during installation, but I unchecked it.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
reply to Mele20

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
reply to Mele20
Downloaded install files for Java 6 and 7, Windows, Windows x64, and Mac OS on FF 18.0.2 before I bothered to update to FF 19.0.

No problems here. Looks like it didn't recognize you accepting the license terms by clicking inside the little circle. Not sure why that would be. Somebody who actually codes pages might want to look at how the little circle works. Maybe once we know how it works, we can figure out what's going wrong with it.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I'm not allowed to download it on Fx or Opera. I have met all requirements.

No problems getting the full installers on Firefox when I downloaded them Tuesday morning.
These direct links should work:
»download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java···i586.exe
»download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java···-x64.exe

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
said by SpHeRe31459:

said by Mele20:

No problems getting the full installers on Firefox when I downloaded them Tuesday morning.

When I click on those links I get "Unauthorized Request" same thing I got earlier.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
said by Mele20:

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by Mele20:

When I click on those links I get "Unauthorized Request" same thing I got earlier.

Me too.
I would think that would be because those are direct links that bypass Oracles legal agreement.
Why are direct links being posted here anyways? At any rate, I had no issues obtaining them.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Phoenix22
Yeah, that worked fine BUT I could not believe that Oracle has REVERTED the slider to "Medium"!

I'm glad I checked that right away and moved it back to "High". Why would Oracle do this?!!!!

edit: Maybe the reversion is only on Win 8? And Oracle didn't intend this?
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3
said by Mele20:

Yeah, that worked fine BUT I could not believe that Oracle has REVERTED the slider to "Medium"!

The slider is still on "High" on my Win7 x64 and WinXP SP3 machines. And no I didn't move them. That said I have Java disabled in all browsers.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 edit
It is a hassle to move to my XP machine as I only have one monitor but when I do it will be interesting to see if the slider is changed from High to Medium there.

Windows 8 is truly DIFFERENT, in more ways than we expect, from all previous Windows OSes. It wouldn't surprise me if this is happening only on Win 8. I guess I should visit Oracle's forums.

It also could be this happens on Win 8 ONLY if you have both 32bit and 64bit versions of Java. My Java in the Control Panel is all screwed up because I have both 32bit and 64 bit versions. I only installed the 32bit version so far and noticed the slider was back to medium...but Java Panel claims I have a WEIRD version of Java and has no tab for checking for updates so I can't trust Java Panel. I confirmed at java.com that I do have the current 32bit Java installed.
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3
said by Mele20:

Windows 8 is truly DIFFERENT, in more ways than we expect, from all previous Windows OSes.

Well I, for one, certainly appreciate you "taking one for the team" with you Win8 experiences I bought this Dell Win7 x64 box just months before Dell made the switch-over to Win8.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I'm glad I checked that right away and moved it back to "High". Why would Oracle do this?!!!!

The install of the new Java on my Win8 machine didn't change my security settings at all:

--
I will be perfectly happy if the budget cuts specified in the Budget Control Act go into effect. 3 cheers for the sequester. Take the money from the drunken federal spenders.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Thank you for that information. (Your custom level looks good)!

I think it might have to do with when I installed 64 bit Java (for IE10) some time back, it completely messed up my Java panel. Oracle says it will remain messed up as long as 64 bit Java is installed. It claims I have some weird version that doesn't exist ((but checking at java.com page shows I have the latest version (32bit) installed) and took away the button for auto updating because 64 bit Java can only be installed manually. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the slider got messed up too. Maybe I should have left it at low and installed 64bit Java latest version and then checked it. Doing that might have moved the slider back to High.
--

DownTheShore
RIP tmpchaos
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I just updated Java on my Vista HP laptop and the slider is set on "High (recommended)".
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

The one at java.com wants to install Ask toolbar and I don't trust it to not do it even if I remove the checkmark. Plus, the one at java.com does NOT download the installer. It downloads something else and then you have to take FOREVER to download the installer and then it insults you with wanting to install Ask toolbar.

Use the offline installers like I do. No toolbar prompts or other garbage!