jacobslive
Premium
join:2007-11-25
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

An open letter to Jim Murphy, President of PhonePower LLC.

Hello Mr. Jim,

Thanks for sharing extracts of your recent interview with TMC via »www.phonepower.com/Contact/News/···ower.pdf

Couple of things read there were interesting and at the same time found bit contradictory to see what is actually happening.

Your Professional background - Very glad to learn that you have a strong background of IT, especially in the field of ISP and now with VoIP.

Mr. Jim, being a professionally experienced IT man, aren’t you surprised to see your company’s website is the only business site that carry numerous SPAM messages each day in its forum section? Do you consider that asking for a clean and user friendly forums is “asking for too much” as your customer care executives think when asked about a broken feature? Don’t your company has $100 to spend to get a reliable web application to host your forum? Don’t you think moving to a safe and secure forum application will save a lot of man hours by eliminating the cleaning and wiping process of the forum each day?

“ How does what you offer address customers' pain points?
The easy sell is the cost savings. Many customers come to us just for that. But other customers use us for our smartphone integration and advanced call routing features not offered by the traditional telcos.”

One of the reason you have mentioned that customers are coming to you because of smartphone integration. Is “smartphone” is just an Android phone in your dictionary? Do you know that your iOS smartphone integration is only good to initiate click to call and rest of the functions are buggy and making it pretty much useless?

Same way, do you consider “Computer” is just a PC? Do you consider Mac as s computer as well? If so, do you know that your company does not have a working softphone for Mac?

Contradictory to what you claimed, I am a customer who took half of my business somewhere else because your broken iOS app and Mac softphone. If you closely look at your forum activities, you can see many disappointed mac and iOS users.

In my humble opinion, you should remove those broken applications from your line of offering and open up the SIP credentials so that the user can use a “working” application of his own choice on any platform.

Glad to know your company had 7,642% growth rate in 4 years. Wish you all the best and hope you can fix few things so that you can keep the same reputation you have now and make your customers equally happy by not forcing them to buy an Android phone and/or Windows PC just to use PhonePower features

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA

said by jacobslive:

In my humble opinion, you should remove those broken applications from your line of offering and open up the SIP credentials so that the user can use a “working” application of his own choice on any platform.

This has been available for more than a year. Possibly more than two years.

The forum spam is unfortunate, but it happens everywhere.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

jacobslive
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

said by JohnInSJ:

If you meant SIP credentials, yes I know you can activate it. But the sip registration process is not straight forward was any other provider. I could not register with PhonePower SIP credentials via Bria for iOS, but could do with 3 other providers. When you try to register you will get 403 (not authorized) error, but at the same time in your SIP credential page it will show as another device registered. I mean, this is just one example.

Their softphone for Mac has broken ever since Apple introduced Mountain Lion (almost an year ago) and according to PhonePower there is no plan to fix it.

SPAM happen everywhere, but fortunately they do not appear in forums other than PhonePower's. If you know any reputed business forum like PhonePower that is filled with SPAM please give me an example.

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA

said by jacobslive:

said by JohnInSJ:

If you meant SIP credentials, yes I know you can activate it. But the sip registration process is not straight forward was any other provider. I could not register with PhonePower SIP credentials via Bria for iOS, but could do with 3 other providers. When you try to register you will get 403 (not authorized) error, but at the same time in your SIP credential page it will show as another device registered. I mean, this is just one example.

Their softphone for Mac has broken ever since Apple introduced Mountain Lion (almost an year ago) and according to PhonePower there is no plan to fix it.

SPAM happen everywhere, but fortunately they do not appear in forums other than PhonePower's. If you know any reputed business forum like PhonePower that is filled with SPAM please give me an example.

SIP is sip. If you have an app that doesn't work right, the app is the problem, not SIP.

I haven't seen much action on pp non-sip clients since they opened up sip, so I assume they expect you to use functional sip clients if that's what you're looking for.

I don't use PP forums, but I am active on several forums, and I spend a fair amount of time reporting spam, which seems to happen rampantly everywhere. This is mostly due to the rise of actual humans that are paid to post spam, in addition to the spambots running all over the place. The humans are a lot harder to filter out.
--

jacobslive
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

said by JohnInSJ:

SIP is sip. If you have an app that doesn't work right, the app is the problem, not SIP.

Exactly, SIP is SIP, I don't have to a rocket scientist to use SIP credentials. If the same (one of the most reputed SIP client) can work with all other SIP service providers but not PP, it is not the SIP client. It is the SIP server that is not allowing or accepting or expecting additional header information. Same way when a call initiated from PhonePower there are lot of header information that is unnecessary or non-starndard is being transmitted as well.

Basically when you use SIP client you need only 3 piece of information, username, password and SIP server. Unless until you are specific you don't need to change anything else in the sip client/ATA either. In my experience PhonePower does not allow traditional / generic SIP connection methods.

Also when asked about broken applications, their customer techs were bold enough to mention to other customers that mac users are asking for too much, where is the business ethic? lol, asking for too much = asking to fix their crap.

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA

I've not had any issues with the SIP credentials provided by phonepower.
--

jacobslive
Premium
San Jose, CA

I have not had any issues with the SIP credentials provided by other companies either

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA

Interesting. Wonder why you are having issues with PP. I assume you asked support for help?
--

PhonePower
Premium
join:2007-07-20
Winnetka, CA
kudos:1
reply to jacobslive

Jacobslive,

Thanks for the feedback! Positive or negative, it's what helps shape most of our policies and products. I'll briefly touch on some of your items:

Forum spam - yes, we know it's a problem, and adding a crazy captcha at registration wouldn't seem to slow it down too much because we are seeing more humans posting it and less bots. But we know it's an issue and we're working on it. Our Support team that has to clean it up every day is just as anxious to reduce/eliminate it.

An update to our softphone for Mac is on our project map for this year. No ETA yet on when it will be released, because some other customer-requested projects have made more "noise" and gotten higher priority. Specifically the Incoming Call Manager we rolled out late last year, and the Android app took a lot of our developer resources. And most currently, a lot of resources are on our iPhone app version 2. Most of the changes address stability, sound quality, codecs, etc. The new version iPhone app is currently in beta internally, and should go to general customer beta in the next 30-40 days. Check our forum for status.

I'm hoping to host an online customer forum in the next couple months to get feedback on what customers would like to see, and what we can do better. We'll send out announcements by newsletter and in the forum prior to.

Expand your moderator at work

DSM Fan

join:2010-10-04
New Orleans, LA
reply to JohnInSJ

Re: An open letter to Jim Murphy, President of PhonePower LLC.

all my favorite forum buddies in one place

Long time no post with jacob, top gun.

Hey jacob did the directions i provide you on

»www.phonepower.com/forum/topic.php?id=3013

help you get he app configured correctly?

jacobslive
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER
reply to DSM Fan

said by DSM Fan:

Hey DSM good to see ya after a while buddy

Yes I have tried your suggestions. SIP credentials were working with 3cx for mac. Unfortunately not with iOS Bria. I have another friend who is living in my area who uses PP. I have tried with his account as well, Bria does not support PP or vise versa in my understanding. SIP credential also work with SIP adapters. That is how I was able to figure out PP transmit extra-ordinary header information with each call that any other SIP call. That also make me to understand their whole process is strangely different than traditional methods. Anyways I am not bothered about those. My only concern if I am a rookie VoIP user I shall be able to use the service without going through all these head aches.

I found it is not worthy especially when PP has a "closed" method if implementation as Apple has with iOS (Sorry I don't see any better comparison lol). Comparison was only to restrictions and not to service or products So I found it is better to go with other options available in the market and I am very happy with the competition as of today.

Also decided not to participate in the forums as it is not active as before and I guess it is because of the amount of spams, regular users not coming there as they did in the past. As far as my understanding (according to him) "topgun" also not participating as he used to in the past due to similar thoughts.

Anyways, my original post was not a complaint about "my" issues, but a general voice as per the learnings I had from personal experience and PP's forum experience. I believe those concerns need to be address by PP on bit priority base not only because it is way past due, but also also they are part of their marketing tools ("features") to attract customers. As far as SIP credentials, make a working solution or give a chance to use SIP credentials without ridiculous restrictions. Restrictions such as number of active calls, number of registrations etc should be there. But at the same those restrictions should be implemented in practical way. When X company can do it then PP can also do it, if they really want. I have seen that one feature breaks, and as they fix or try to fix it, 2 other features break. At times they get fed up and it becomes no ETAs eventually. If asked about those, then you are a customer "asking for too much".

My present company does not have a mobile application. I like that better because I have freedom to use a "working" application of my choice. They have the restriction as every other company has when it comes to allowed number of calls, allowed number clients etc. But they implemented the restrictions in a way that will work flawlessly and will not cause customer unnecessary delays or inconvenience.

Btw, topgun is a very good buddy of mine and we call each other "bro", but certain thing he says has to be replied in the same amount and that gives Mods some extra work here, my apologies!

topgun

join:2011-01-31
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER
reply to DSM Fan

said by DSM Fan:

Cheers to that
--
I got the need for speed »bit.ly/topgunparody