spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sad guy

@198.45.179.x

Fellow seva residents it isn't looking good for BIT project

Looks like we'll be using satellite for the foreseeable future as the project has been suspended due to them spending all the monies and not showing any real progress.

»www.sovanow.com/index.php?/news/···of_feds/

sad guy

@198.45.179.x
Bit has until march to respond

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
find an alternative, these guys are losers
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

Random guy

@rr.com
reply to sad guy
Airspan is not the greatest with support We use airspan for our 700mhz deployments and have had nothing but problems from day one. Getting help from them can be a pain in the butt.

sad guy

@198.45.179.x
reply to Jim_in_VA
said by Jim_in_VA:

find an alternative, these guys are losers

I take it you've dealt with them before?

sad guy

@198.45.179.x
reply to Random guy
said by Random guy :

Airspan is not the greatest with support We use airspan for our 700mhz deployments and have had nothing but problems from day one. Getting help from them can be a pain in the butt.

Yea part of the problem from what i've read is that airspan keeps saying they need more time to optimize the network

sad guy

@198.45.179.x
lol i wish i had big pockets and could spend about 6k to set up a long distance wifi network

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1
reply to sad guy
6k? LOL. Thanks, I needed a good laugh

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:3
If you start small, someone could certainly get a business operational for 6k if all the pieces line up properly for them.

I started my business with around 12k, equipping 3 towers and having enough working capital for the first year.

I was lucky to be able to purchase bandwidth from another WISP. Otherwise I could have easily doubled my numbers to get going.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
reply to wirelessdog
I think sad guy is talking about a PtP for just himself, not setting up to serve the entire area.

--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

sad guy

@198.45.179.x
Yes ptp I assumed that would be obvious.

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
What type of distance are you working with on a point to point? Depending on distance and line of site you could do an unlicensed point to point for far less than $6k...

sad guy

@198.45.179.x
About 14 miles and lots of trees

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to sad guy
Thats a tough one. I would wait and see what happens with BIT. From what I've read they have spent nearly all the money so I would imagine their infrastructure is already in place. If that is the case, I would imagine they will respond to the Fed's and keep moving.

My local competitor received over 4 million in a RUS loan that they defaulted on three years ago and the Fed's haven't shut them down yet...

sad guy

@198.45.179.x
i actually called them and the lady said nothing about the issue with the feds. Just said they still intend to come out here but they were having a really hard time getting the tower signals to line up.

sad guy

@198.45.179.x
reply to wirelessdog
said by wirelessdog:

Thats a tough one. I would wait and see what happens with BIT. From what I've read they have spent nearly all the money so I would imagine their infrastructure is already in place. If that is the case, I would imagine they will respond to the Fed's and keep moving.

My local competitor received over 4 million in a RUS loan that they defaulted on three years ago and the Fed's haven't shut them down yet...

They started testing last April. After a while want they just give up?

sad guy

@198.45.179.x
any idea as to why they are having so much trouble getting the tower signals to line up?

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
You take what the lady said at face value? My guess is she just wanted the conversation to end.

We cannot surmise what challenges they are faced with or the (in)competence of their techs.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

sad guy

@198.45.179.x
said by LLigetfa:

You take what the lady said at face value? My guess is she just wanted the conversation to end.

We cannot surmise what challenges they are faced with or the (in)competence of their techs.

you're probably right.

sad guy

@198.45.179.x
this is their latest report to the government. At least the latest i could find.

»www2.ntia.doc.gov/files/grantees···2_q4.pdf

It says the 300 mhz is almost finished but the 700 is being reconfigured. No idea which one i will be on. Likely the one that likes trees better.

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to sad guy
3.65ghz not 300mhz

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to sad guy
Their response looks reasonable. Looks like the culprit here is the equipment vendor.

sad guy

@198.45.179.x
if i go 4g and buy booster equipment they'll be up and running the day after. That's just how my luck always works.

sad guy

join:2013-03-11
Still don't have any idea when it will be out here. They still just say they're working on the problem

sad guy

Called yesterday and a lady told me they were trying to get more money from the government to update their equipment

sad guy

reply to sad guy
Just called and it isn't looking good. Was told that several more problem have arisen.

sad guy

called yesterday and was told 1st quarter of 2014 at the earliest

sad guy

well the project was just cut from 15 to 5 counties and they are switching from wimax to lte and they will start rebuilding the network 3rd quarter 2013

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
its now 4th quarter, whats the progress?
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

sad guy

hardly no progress as far as i can see. They are starting over for the most part. Gonna rebuild the network using lte. The basically spent a year to figure out wimax would not work. Also they will not say what 5 counties are still included but simple math says their's like a 75 percent chance that if u were included before the restructure u are no longer included now