guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to serge87

Re: [Northeast] High pings / bad routing...

said by serge87:

So now it IS Verizon's fault(due in part to the "Quantum" tiers)? I thought it was 100% the cheap peering partners that weren't meeting their end of the peering agreement in every single case?

All these complaints about horrible latency and packet loss didn't exist on this forum 90 days ago

Verizon unleashed potentially 2-4X more bandwidth demand by their 4 million or so FIOS customers, the content sources can't handle the demand at peak times, yes its IS the content source or their ISP and up chain that's the limit, nothing in the FIOS network

You also have things like Netflix, its reported that by the end of the year video streaming ( primarily Nextflix and YouTube ) will by over 50% of the peak traffic, every one comes home and starts watching some sort of video content, this has been increasing at a rate that WILL break the internet as we know it

We have passed a tipping point, its not Verizon in anyway, their network is the single largest network in the US by capacity, the internet and the peering arrangements are not keeping up with demand, which is primarily caused by NetFlix, YouTube and Skype, which has supplanted about 20% of the voice minutes ( measured in billions )

The Internet model was everyone shared in the cost, now you have a few content sources that are disproportionally only pushing bits, its isn't going to work forever and your seeing first hand a global issue that peering is failing as the economic model to keep the internet functional.

Its been is discussion for a decade by people that know about how all this works, the consensus is we are going to have to start having a QOS model, where voice / gaming and other applications get low-latency access and video, which can be buffered and is only one way get the left-over bits

Verizon network is NOT the issue, I have no issues, even at peak times, but I'm not using consumer NetFlix/Gaming/Youtube, which are over-subscribed at the source, not the destination

Oh an there are maybe 5 people moaning about this, out of a couple thousand BBR members that have FIOS

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1

1 edit

guppy, that is finally a much more clear and concise explanation of what is really going on.

A few people might be right, including myself when we said that out own PON card or something in the CO has going bad or has become oversubscribed.

I say the above not only because of pings and tracerts, but because I couldn't download a few times in the last two months over 10Mbit/sec, VOD was not perfect, VOD menu's took 5 seconds or more to respond, Verizon said they couldn't figure it out and that there was loss at the OLT..... Downloading made my pings to my first hop and on go from 25 to 300 with packet loss during those few nights. Mind you it wasn't for hours on end, just in spurts. Still ruins everything. Some people like myself have users playing games, parents watching VOD and myself trying to dropbox/remote desktop and share files with the fiance. Everything experiences lag/cut outs and just plain annoyances. But once again, my specific example is rare. That is why I started MRTG graphing to a few hops plus outside peers to graph when things happen.

Edit:
Come to think of it, I haven't checked my graphs in a while. Busy with work/family. But looking at my charts towards 4 different FiOS connections, they all have the same spikes around the same time every single night. My first hop graph looks normal, my second hop ping chart is showing the same spikes.