join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to winsyrstrife

to winsyrstrife

Re: Using $30 Walmart plan

sounds like your most surfing and checking email at on 260 mb. 1MB should be sufficient for that, another option is simple mobile which is $40 for unlimited talk/text and 250mb of 4g data and throttled after that, which just by turning wifi on you would be well under.

It really depends on how constrained you feel by only 100 minutes, myself it really wouldn't work. that $30 plan is really designed for people who use much more data, even without wifi, your barely using 1/20th of the bandwidth given on that plan.

winsyrstrife
River City Bounce
Premium Member
join:2002-04-30
Brooklyn, NY

winsyrstrife

Premium Member

Yes the 100 minutes can be annoying. I usually add additional funds to cover overages. My friends like to run their mouths...

The Simple Mobile sounds like a good option. I'll take it into consideration. I'm trying to remain loyal to T-Mobile as long as possible. The next plan in T-Mobile prepaid is $50 and 50MB of data. I need an in-between.

Since Simple Mobile is a T-Mobile reseller, I suppose it's the same as being a T-Mobile customer.

MovieLover76
Cherry Hill, NJ

MovieLover76

For the most part yes, though roaming varies between mvno's
GoSmart I know does not have roaming, not sure about simple mobile, though my guess would be they don't.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner to winsyrstrife

Premium Member

to winsyrstrife
I'm on Simple Mobile's $50 4G plan after porting away from Sprint. I've never done T-Mobile before but it seems to use the same network and when you setup the APN on your phone, it points to T-Mobile in one of the parameters.

I might be a happier camper than most since Sprint is an utter piece of shit in NYC, but web access on Simple is very fast. I never miss a call and text messaging just works. And if you use a rooted phone, you can tether or do wifi hotspot to your heart's content for free, even though Simple states on their site that it is not allowed.

MovieLover76
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76

Sprint's current 3G network is sh*t in a wide array of places, including where I live in suburban NJ. The reason the majority of Sprint users and so excited about sprint is because of the plans to fix their horrible network, not because the current network is good.
Obviously omitting places that already have LTE and network vision.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus to winsyrstrife

to winsyrstrife
Does Google Voice go over the data connection without using minutes?

winsyrstrife
River City Bounce
Premium Member
join:2002-04-30
Brooklyn, NY

winsyrstrife

Premium Member

From what I've seen in the time I used it, Google Voice uses minutes from your existing service plan.

I did try Groove IP, but the quality was quite poor.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

I have used Groove as well. Very crappy. Even using Google Voice over the PC was horrible. So i'm not sure what it was. But Skype would work just fine.