All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish

Re: What do we want from Verizon in 2013?

said by guppy_fish:

Um, actually, there ARE limits on UVerse, last I read the internet is capped below the slowest quantum FIOS tier, you can only have one or two HD stream per household and the video is horribly over compressed to minimize the bandwidth as its delivered by vdsl2.

Doesn't change the fact that you're not limited to the number of hours you can watch TV. AT&T does not put a cap on the amount of data provided to the IPTV side of their service and thus does not limit the number of hours you can watch.

FiOS != VDSL2.
said by guppy_fish:

Just think if FIOS was all IP, your looking at 4 million households streaming 10mbs per mpeg4 stream, even with optical, the last mile would be a stretch to support that many concurrent users

Yes, because regular means of delivering TV works magic but switching to IP and the whole system will collapse. You have no idea what you're talking about.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

mikev

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

FiOS != VDSL2.

Unless you're in a condo or apartment that VDSL (or VDSL2 if you're lucky enough to have a GPON MDU; I am not) is used for your internet service. Admittedly, it's only for internet, and its distance is from the phone room to your unit, but it's still VDSL or VDSL2. If Verizon were ever to make a move to IPTV, this could become an issue for these MDU configurations.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

That is not FiOS and all I meant by what I said is that FiOS does not have the same capacity constraints of VDSL2 with the speed tier AT&T is providing at the moment and even with the upgraded tiers they will be offering FiOS still has a huge advantage.