how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23

1 edit

[WIN7] Time Server issues

After restoring my image of Win7, the default time server was TIME.WINDOWS.COM.

When I entered the following time server of time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov, and I click on update, i received an error occured synchronizing to this server. Even after a reboot. Still get that error. The time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov is now my default. I switched it from the Windows default, to this.

However, in the drop-down box, in the Internet Time tab, I selected TIME.WINDOWS.COM clicked OK, and then selected again the time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov and clicked on update, and now it works.

What would be causing this issue in the first place?

So my question being, even though the following time server is selected (time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov), how come it does not update? Instead, I had to select another time server and then select this one again and now it works fine.

Pinging time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov came up OK.

The Windows Time service is also running. Disabled Firewall and AV software as well.

Please see print screen.

Thanks

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
Not the exact same, but I think what I do every time I have installed Windows 7 (and now do when I install Windows 8), is worth mentioning here.

I run a PFSense box as my router. One of the many functions of that is a built-in time server.

Once the OS (either Windows 7 or Windows 8) is installed, and I have the proper network drivers installed, I go to the very same screen, and change the Internet Time Server from whatever the default is to "192.168.1.1", as that is the local IP for my PFSense Box on my side of the network.

I then click the "Update Now" button.

When I do that, I get the same error that you get: "An error occured while Windows was synchronizing with 192.168.1.1".

I then click the "Update now" button again. This time, I get the following message

"The clock was successfully synchronized with 192.168.1.1 on xx-mm-yyyy at hh:mm.".

And, once after that, I never have a problem with it keeping my clock on my local desktop in synch.

It appears to me that the very first time you change it, you will get the error. Why, I've got no idea. But, in my case, I did nothing between clicks. I got the error, and I clicked the "Update Now" button again, and then it worked.

I would think if there was an error with the time server, it would continue to error out. However, that is not the case.

So, if it works, I would not worry about it, at least that is how I see it based on the results and testing that I have done.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

slajoh01

The time server: time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov works now.

Like I posted before, the only way I can get it working, is by FIRST selecting time-a.nist.gov or time.windows.com and hitting Update Now and that worked. Then....I had to select the time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov again then hitting Update Now, and works OK now like in the print screen.

But why? I do not know either as well.

This is odd.

If someone knows, please post.

Thanks

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to slajoh01

I use clock.via.net -- Seems to do the job ok.....

1 thing i noticed is when the clocks go ahead/back an hour,the time servers DO NOT REFLECT THE CHANGE UNTIL A WEEK LATER!!

Anyone know why that is??

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
The time servers don't change, they are just a reference point for the local device to sync to.

My PC's and other devices always reflect the time change at the correct time.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
reply to slajoh01

Re: [WIN7] Time Server issues

I use the IP address instead of the dns name. You can look them up on the NIST web site. There are random periods when the time servers seem to be unavailable. I have noticed that if a clock is way off, it won't sync to the correct time and returns a communication error until you manually adjust the time to be close to the actual time.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
South Padre Island, TX

1 recommendation

reply to slajoh01
Again I would highly recommend using a NTP pool server versus one standalone server. You may get better results...

»Re: [WIN7] Internet Time question

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to billaustin

Ahhh ok,thank you for that explanation

slajoh01

1 edit
Now what if I want to use ONLY the time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov time server? By looking at my registry print screen, will this registry setting work if I ONLY want to use this server?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DateTime\Servers]
@="1"
"1"="time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov"

Thanks

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to slajoh01

Also, Windows doesn't really synchronize often enough, typically only weekly. Many posts about changing registry settings and such don't actually work.

What I found that actually works is creating a new scheduled task following the instructions here:
»www.pretentiousname.com/timesync/index.html

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to slajoh01

Re:  

The answer is - yes.

OZO
Premium
reply to andyross

To synchronize time every hour you can set it in registry:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient]
"Enabled"=dword:00000001
"SpecialPollInterval"=dword:00000E10

If you need a different interval - change SpecialPollInterval value (in sec) accordingly.

--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
said by OZO:

To synchronize time every hour you can set it in registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient]
"Enabled"=dword:00000001
"SpecialPollInterval"=dword:00000E10

If you need a different interval - change SpecialPollInterval value (in sec) accordingly.

If you read the article, you will see that it doesn't really work. I found following the instructions for the new task actually worked and kept the computer's time more accurate. The computer is turned off when not in use, so tended to be 20+ seconds off after a few weeks. It just never seemed to ever actually sync unless I manually did it.

OZO
Premium
Why I need to read the article (and I did, BTW) if I use this offered by m$ way for more then 10 years on all my computers and it's working all the time just fine? Moreover, it doesn't require an additional scheduled task too.

Keep it simple, please...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to slajoh01
NM
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to slajoh01