Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge to stevek1949

Premium Member

to stevek1949

Re: House offer process - NJ specific and urgent

said by stevek1949:

Do not use a home inspector that is referred from either the sellers or your agent. Find a reputable inspector in the area, which are probably easy to find.

Make the contingency to use an indepent, certified home inspector. If possible, be available to be there during the inspection, or at least have someone trusted.

The inspector won't tell you if there is code compliance, but should give you indications on if work needs to be done, such as an electrical panel needs to be replaced or updated.

I am not a a home inspector or real estate agent, just speaking from experience.

How would i find a trustworthy inspector? Online reviews are all BS, can't trust realtors for this, don't know anyone in NJ area to ask. This is way more fun than I thought it would be

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

stevek1949

Premium Member

How would i find a trustworthy inspector? Online reviews are all BS, can't trust realtors for this, don't know anyone in NJ area to ask. This is way more fun than I thought it would be

Angies List is a good place to start. Craig's List is a good place to avoid!
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to Dodge

to Dodge
Housemaster has a couple offices out that way. Great service from them in the past here in PA.
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge to stevek1949

Premium Member

to stevek1949
said by stevek1949:

Angies List is a good place to start. Craig's List is a good place to avoid!

I don't know what the inside of Angie's list is as I am not paying for something I can't even see. Trial membership would make them a lot more meaningful and would imply that they stand behind their site, but when I was setting up an account (without realizing that it's a paid service), I specifically unchecked the newsletters potion. I didn't even complete account setup, as I stopped at the payment, and in 2 days I have 5 random emails from them promoting different random crap. Yeah this makes me all warm and fuzzy about giving them any money (and yes I'm aware that it's dirt cheap).