spc
Search similar:

uniqs
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Outage Tampa

Did anyone have an outage last night at 12:00AM?
brutus
join:2003-12-16
Tampa, FL

brutus

I had one either last night or the night before. I seem to get them every so often just after midnight for 20 minutes or so. Usually by the time I get through to Verizon on the phones it is back up.
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Why is this happening?

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

That's the maintenance window ..

I've not been effect by it so its local to you

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to brianiscool

to brianiscool
Several of our sites in Pasco county were down for a few minutes overnight. Maintenance window most likely-- nothing unusual.
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

The outage just happened again.

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion

said by brianiscool:

Same here. Down for 45 minutes in Bradenton. ONT never lost connection, just lost all connectivity beyond my first hop.

eival
join:2008-07-09
Richland, WA

eival

said by Raphion:

said by brianiscool:

Same here. Down for 45 minutes in Bradenton. ONT never lost connection, just lost all connectivity beyond my first hop.

im in bradenton as well

im running off the ethernet connection straight from the ONT

my router was getting an IP, it just wasnt able to get any DNS connection, thus no internet

when i tried rebooting, the friggen Fios router applied the DHCP(which i still havent figured out how to have it just handle the STB)

i turned my fios router off and everything is working fine now

Raphion
Samsara

Raphion

I only tried cycling the DHCP, then waited, knowing that the issue was on VZs end. Came back up in 40-45 mins on it's own. Just had one more hiccup though, down less than a minute.
squirrel21
join:2007-03-12
New Port Richey, FL

squirrel21 to brianiscool

to brianiscool

Re: Outage Tampa -- Feb 22 from 2 AM to 3 AM +

Restarted my modem/hub & attached N-Wireless hub with no success. I subscribe to FIOS Internet only so I called via my cell to both (800,888)-VERIZON and AS USUAL, THE VOICE RESPONSE PROCEDURE SUCKS -- it could not not connect me to internet support, but assumed I was trying to get to retail support, gave me that retail number and just hung up! AGAIN: VERIZON SUPPORT SUCKS!

From the above reports it looks like these are rolling maintenance outages, so do you think Verizon would have the courtesy to send out email notifications before flipping off the switch? Do you do this with your copperline POTS, too? Do you realize that other vendor's VOIP services need you to be constantly up in order to work? VERIZON, you arrogant SOBs need to be broken back up into little bitty pieces that are manageable, responsive, and competitive!

FIOS up front is great due to the nature of fiber itself, but VZ manages to deliver with a sh*tty aftertaste!

rebus9
Tampa Bay

rebus9

said by squirrel21:

I called via my cell to both (800,888)-VERIZON and AS USUAL, THE VOICE RESPONSE PROCEDURE SUCKS -- it could not not connect me to internet support, but assumed I was trying to get to retail support, gave me that retail number and just hung up! AGAIN: VERIZON SUPPORT SUCKS!

Yes it does. Even the most careful fingers pressing the right menu options get sent to the wrong departments in the wrong region. Consistently.
said by squirrel21:

From the above reports it looks like these are rolling maintenance outages, so do you think Verizon would have the courtesy to send out email notifications before flipping off the switch
(..snip..) VERIZON, you arrogant SOBs need to be broken back up into little bitty pieces that are manageable, responsive, and competitive!

No need for such drama. You have a CONSUMER-grade broadband connection and unless your speed is over 100 Mbps, you're paying less than $100 a month for it. Terms of service allow for unannounced maintenance, and it's a CUSTOMARY INDUSTRY PRACTICE to do maintenance in the early a.m. hours. Every carrier has to do maintenance periodically.

They deserve being slammed for their phone support system, but cut them some slack on occasional network maintenance.

At $DAYJOB, even our Gig-E connections go offline occasionally for carrier maintenance. We get pre-notification because we pay $thousands a month for them.

If you absolutely MUST have pre-notifications for outages, get a T-1... but know that you'll still have occasional maintenance downtime.

Or do what I do and order a 2nd connection from a different ISP (not a reseller of the same ISP) as a failover connection. I've had a FIOS and Road Runner connection for years and have NEVER seen both carriers down at the same time.
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

This is probably happening because they are upgrading the tiers to 50/25.

rebus9
Tampa Bay

1 edit

rebus9

said by brianiscool:

This is probably happening because they are upgrading the tiers to 50/25.

Verizon's long-haul uses Alcatel-Lucent gear for 100 Gbps. But if they use Juniper routers for metro distribution, they are probably patching a recently discovered JUNOS (Juniper router OS) security flaw.

A couple weeks back Level3, which uses Juniper extensively, took an emergency maintenance window with very little advanced notice, to patch all of their routers. I believe the notice was less than 24 hours in advance.

I had to patch more than a dozen Juniper routers at $DAYJOB because of the JUNOS flaw. No fun when production routers have to be taken offline so an emergency patch can be rushed into place.

For those wondering, unlike your home router which boots in under a minute, carrier class routers take a long time to boot up because there is so much that happens at boot time. Our Junipers take 5-10 minutes for bootup if the firmware update goes well. But if the upgrade is not successful (which happened to one of ours) when bootup from the primary root fails, the system will re-start the boot process from the secondary root which holds a backup copy of the previous firmware. That causes much longer boot time. Then you have to do another firmware upload followed by another reboot.

Those of us who do this for a living are probably more likely to cut Verizon some slack, because we understand what their engineers are going through.
squirrel21
New Port Richey, FL

squirrel21 to rebus9

to rebus9

Re: Outage Tampa -- Purposely Crippling Their VR System

I agree that expecting 100% up-time would require a higher priced or business level support. My complaint is that it was impossible to get to a 'live' support person or even a pre-recorded announcement that maintenance was taking place! Verizon has the capability to send out email notifications to customers based on their CO connection. To put a pre-recorded announcement on their VR system would not be a great effort.

What really pisses me off is that they (Verizon support) obviously configured their VR system to loop or "dead-end" because they knew customers would be calling about the maintenance outage!

Verizon has become too big and powerful and it shows in their support. "We don't care. We don't have to!" to quote Ernistine.
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

They better not go down tongiht. Tonight is gaming night !

rebus9
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to squirrel21

to squirrel21
said by squirrel21:

To put a pre-recorded announcement on their VR system would not be a great effort.

Any idea how many different routers are involved, in all areas with FIOS?

Maintenance windows are staggered across days or weeks, even in the same local area.

You cannot ACCURATELY determine the location of the caller, therefore you cannot reliably target a "maintenance" VR message only to the callers who are affected by it.

Think for a moment what you are asking for, then think how large a footprint Verizon covers.... then think **in detailed terms** how exactly you propose to implement such a notification system.

Think about it for a while, and you'll see that it cannot be done with sufficient accuracy to be of much value.
billd104
join:2009-01-30
Oldsmar, FL

billd104 to brianiscool

to brianiscool

Re: Outage Tampa

Same thing here in Clearwater, FL on the AM of 02/20 02/21 & 02/22 between midnight and 2 AM

rebus9
Tampa Bay

rebus9

And New Port Richey, Hudson, Lutz, Land O Lakes, Dade City, and Zephyrhills. Different days this week.

Different sites we monitor within the same city had maintenance on different nights. No big deal.

I don't see why this is even being discussed. Maintenance happens. It HAS to happen. And it happens in the middle of the night when MOST people are asleep.

If you can't be down... EVER.... then get a cheap backup connection from a different ISP.
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

I am in Hillsborough, Florida
squirrel21
New Port Richey, FL

squirrel21 to rebus9

to rebus9

Re: Outage Tampa -- Purposely Crippling Their VR System

I thought about it. Yes, I realize there's a lot of infrastructure to modify! I get it! Now tell me why I can't get to a CSR when I call, or why, given the circumstances, that the VR system can't accommodate a simple message beginning with "Attention Tampa Bay area users ..."

rebus9
Tampa Bay

rebus9

said by squirrel21:

I thought about it. Yes, I realize there's a lot of infrastructure to modify! I get it! Now tell me why I can't get to a CSR when I call

You won't hear me defending Verizon's phone support. It's a nightmare to navigate, and you almost never get to the right person after making very careful menu selections. I do everything I can to avoid calling, because it's an experiment in frustration and futility. Typical call has me bounced around to several people before reaching someone in the right department, in the right region, who can help.

Just plan AWFUL.
said by squirrel21:

or why, given the circumstances, that the VR system can't accommodate a simple message beginning with "Attention Tampa Bay area users ..."

Because that brush is too broad. You don't want to tell 250,000 subscribers in a region about downtime, when only a tiny percentage will be affected today.

Maintenance windows can be spread over days or weeks, and you don't want a "downtime" message greeting customers for weeks at a time.
billd104
join:2009-01-30
Oldsmar, FL

billd104 to rebus9

to rebus9

said by rebus9:

And New Port Richey, Hudson, Lutz, Land O Lakes, Dade City, and Zephyrhills. Different days this week.

Different sites we monitor within the same city had maintenance on different nights. No big deal.

I don't see why this is even being discussed. Maintenance happens. It HAS to happen. And it happens in the middle of the night when MOST people are asleep.

If you can't be down... EVER.... then get a cheap backup connection from a different ISP.

I agree. Maintenance happens. Not a big deal for me, I have a backup connection from a different ISP.
squirrel21
New Port Richey, FL

squirrel21 to rebus9

to rebus9

Re: Outage Tampa -- No Sympathy for the End User

If the VR system can retrieve my records based on my phone number and it's between midnight and say 4 AM, I don't think they would be alarming too many customers. If a customer is calling in during that time period, I don't believe he's calling to casually chat to someone. It's not hard to anticipate given the myriad of interconnected Oracle tables that VZ has. Someone at Verizon has got to start thinking like a late night end-user who just lost his streaming video! But streaming video seems to be in direct conflict with FIOS TV, and perhaps this is why VZ has to be broken up.

Now if you want to hear "being concerned" about outages, I have called in the past and talked to a CSR that says to me, "I'm sorry sir, but our computers are down and I can't determine what the problem is. Can you call back later?"

It seems that the only good support left after laying off many experienced employees are the field installers. I guess Verizon is not making enough profit on its investments -- NOT!

rebus9
Tampa Bay

rebus9

said by squirrel21:

If the VR system can retrieve my records based on my phone number and it's between midnight and say 4 AM, I don't think they would be alarming too many customers.

Who is going to continually update account records as the upgrade is completed on one router (or group of routers) and the engineer moves on to the next?

And with a customer base as large as Verizon's, do you really think that would happen in realtime-- or close enough to realtime to be useful?

I don't.
said by squirrel21:

It seems that the only good support left after laying off many experienced employees are the field installers. I guess Verizon is not making enough profit on its investments -- NOT!

Yeah, they want rid of their old-school union workers like they want rid of regulated copper.

Is there ever enough "profit" in a public company with shareholders?
brianiscool
Tampa, FL
·Charter

brianiscool

Oh, great wonderful. Now we got to boil our water for 48 hrs due to a power failure.

A power failure affecting the City of Tampa David L. Tippin Water Treatment Facility resulted in either temporary low pressure or loss of water service for customers. TECO and City of Tampa crews are on-site and working to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

All customers within the City of Tampa water service area are reminded to follow precautionary boil water for a minimum of the next 48 hours.
squirrel21
New Port Richey, FL

squirrel21

Re: Outage Tampa -- 48 Hour Water Boil Order

Initial reports are blaming it on a squirrel (not me) shorting the lines. That happens at least twice a year within my subdivision and you always hear a loud pop. However, I would expect the water dept to be more protected. Someone is going to lose their job :-( BTW, I don't believe there was a literal storm in the area in the below clip from

AbcActionNews:

The cause:

Tampa Electric says the cause of the outage was likely caused by a "perfect storm" There are two lines that feed power to the plant. One line was likely damaged by a squirrel or rodent. Tampa Electric reports that there was also a problem with the city's equipment that exacerbated the issue, causing the second line to fail.

Power was restored at 4 p.m

eival
join:2008-07-09
Richland, WA

eival

just had this happen again, really annoying, only lasted about 10 minutes.

the verizon.com status/maintinance page litterally is broken, the coding has it it not even loading properly in any browsers, but even still it doesnt actually say anything about the status or any maintinance, its basically a blank text area with the other general links and toolbars on it.

i know theres actual employees/reps who use this site, is there a competent site somewhere we can monitor upcoming outages or maintinance that might disrupt service?

Raphion
Samsara

Raphion to squirrel21

to squirrel21
That's odd that they don't have a diesel backup generator there. We have one on the pump station in my part of bradenton.