how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4m3

@rr.com

Rid Yourself Of Adobe: Firefox 19.0 Gets JS PDF Viewer

Rid yourself of Adobe: New Firefox 19.0 gets JAVASCRIPT PDF viewer:

Mozilla's Firefox web browser now includes a built-in PDF viewer - allowing users to bin plugins from Adobe and other developers.

The move to run third-party PDF file readers out of town comes after security holes were discovered in closed-source add-ons from FoxIt and Adobe. The new built-in document viewer is open source, just like Firefox, and is written in JavaScript.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by FF4m3 :

Rid yourself of Adobe: New Firefox 19.0 gets JAVASCRIPT PDF viewer:

Mozilla's Firefox web browser now includes a built-in PDF viewer - allowing users to bin plugins from Adobe and other developers.

The move to run third-party PDF file readers out of town comes after security holes were discovered in closed-source add-ons from FoxIt and Adobe. The new built-in document viewer is open source, just like Firefox, and is written in JavaScript.

And why won't these open source PDF readers become targets of hackers? If they gain large numbers of users(like they will when included in Firefox) they will also become targets.
--
I will be perfectly happy if the budget cuts specified in the Budget Control Act go into effect. 3 cheers for the sequester. Take the money from the drunken federal spenders.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
reply to FF4m3

»Re: [FireFox] Firefox 19.0 Final

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to FF4m3

Exciting Stuff: Firefox 19s Built-in PDF Viewer

February 19, 2013 - Josh Aas,Gecko platform software engineer(Mozilla)

quote:
Firefox 19s built-in PDF viewer is pretty exciting — not just because Firefox (finally!) has a PDF viewer, but because it’s written in JavaScript. Why is that exciting?

First, we’re always looking to extend the web platform’s capabilities. Writing a PDF rendering engine in JavaScript pushed the platform’s boundaries. We learned quite a bit while working on our PDF viewer, and we used that information to improve Firefox and the web platform in general [1].

Second, being written in JavaScript is great for security. The alternative, pursued by all other browsers with built-in PDF viewers, is to include another binary rendering engine alongside the HTML and JavaScript engines. Adding hundreds of thousands of lines of C and C++ code to render PDFs is not a good thing for security. Complex binary engines are hard to secure, and PDF engines are no exception — ask Adobe or FoxIt.

Mozilla’s built-in PDF viewer will not be without vulnerabilities, but they will be vulnerabilities in the web platform that we’re already committed to securing — we’re not adding to the problem.

There’s still work that needs to be done, but Firefox and the Web took a big step today!

[1] e.g. improved font handling, canvas APIs, and JavaScript performance.

chachazz
Premium
Reviews:
·TELUS

The Mozilla Blog: Firefox introduces PDF viewer to browse the Web without interruption

quote:
Firefox for Windows, Mac and Linux introduces a built-in browser PDF viewer that allows you to read PDFs directly within the browser, making reading PDFs easier because you dont have to download the content or read it in a plugin like Reader. For example, you can use the PDF viewer to check out a menu from your favorite restaurant, view and print concert tickets or read reports without having to interrupt your browsing experience with extra clicks or downloads...cont'd
note: you can also drag-drop other pdfs into the viewer to read.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to FF4m3

Interesting. If it's open source, it'd be nice to see that Javascript-based PDF viewer running within other browsers too (e.g. Iron).
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

chachazz
Premium

Of course it's open source;
»github.com/mozilla/pdf.js/

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
reply to FF4m3

It's nice and all--took a quick look at it (still needs work), but I'll continue to use Sumatra for most of my PDF viewing--fast and light.
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3

»mozilla.github.com/pdf.js/

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to FF4m3

Will this allow me to write to PDF? Right now, I'm having problems with Adobe X and FF 18 crashing trying to print out receipts, etc.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

chachazz
Premium
Reviews:
·TELUS

It will print.
PDF Viewer info at Firefox support
»support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/vie···f-viewer

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to FFH

You can atleast head into about:config and look up 'pdfjs.disabled' and switch it to True.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to FF4m3

IMO it is a complete FLOP. It is still as UNREADABLE as it was when I first tried it when it was first being tested. The first and most important thing for success for a PDF reader is to properly support fonts! This one, no matter how much I reduced font size, is unreadable. It uses some horrible font...it won't use my chosen font or maybe it is using it but distorting it badly. It narrows the width and lengthens the height with the result be HORRIBLE.
(Plus, Proxo is not interfering...it is just as unreadable when I bypass Proxo).

I wouldn't use it anyway after reading about nbc.com attack. I wouldn't feel safe. (Of course, I don't use Adobe Reader, Foxit, etc. I use Evince, the main Linux viewer, ported to Windows and I have always downloaded to disk, scanned and then read the document....never have I read PDF in any browser except the two times I have tried this Mozilla one out of curiosity).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

spookypuff66

join:2003-11-10
Silverthorne, CO
reply to FF4m3

Unable to fill out IRS forms on line with Firefox PDF Viewer. IRS fill-in PDF forms use the features provided with Adobe Acrobat products.
I will use Firefox PDF viewer until next tax season.

spookypuff66

Silverthorne, CO
reply to FF4m3

I recently have been getting "Script is not responding" every 30 seconds on some websites, Firefox and Waterfox, no problem with Chrome. I uninstalled Adobe Reader and above Script problem is no longer evident.

spookypuff66

Silverthorne, CO

As you were.Script problem came back. Any ideas as to a fix?

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx
reply to FF4m3

Good news that Mozilla is trying to liberate us from &$!~&#* Adobe products. Will give it a looksee but have been very happy with Sumatra.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz

said by chachazz:

It will print.
PDF Viewer info at Firefox support
»support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/vie···f-viewer

Thank you, I will give that a try.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

intok

join:2012-03-15
reply to FFH

In general, when security faults are found in open source software they are fixed quite quickly.

On the other hand, open source software tends to be made to a better coding standard then proprietary, since nobody is answering to some boss that wants everything done as fast as possible to save money in the short run.