TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Mike

Re: Valve firing its devs--why?

Don't you even dare to hint at it. You'll jinx it!

I told my gf it was a shame the meteor that hit Russia didn't hit the Vatican instead, after the pope resigned. Imagine the religious nutjobs that would have gone off the rack if that had happened and the interpretations that would have ensued.

But if EA were to ever acquire Valve, that'd be all the proof I need that the devil exists.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

said by TigerLord:

I told my gf it was a shame the meteor that hit Russia didn't hit the Vatican instead, after the pope resigned. Imagine the religious nutjobs that would have gone off the rack if that had happened and the interpretations that would have ensued.

I'm a Christian (don't really take part in American Christianity though), but I'd consider that righteous justice for the Catholic Church due to the pedophiles hiding in it.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8

Well that's a topic for a different kind of conversation, but I only meant to point out EA acquiring Valve would be all the sign I need to accept True Evil really exists.

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

said by TigerLord:

I'm a Christian (don't really take part in American Christianity though), but I'd consider that righteous justice for the Catholic Church due to the pedophiles hiding in it.

Your a christian and you play what games exactly?
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying
or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

You're*

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

»www.techngaming.com/home/news/va···ove-r629

I can't see how this is good.

I don't see how this is bad.

quote:
In early 2012 Ellsworth was hired by Valve Corporation (along with several other notable hardware hackers) to work on gaming hardware. Ellsworth was fired the following year, along with several other Valve employees.
Considering that Ellsworth has a background in electronics design, not software creation, and considering she was hired for gaming hardware within the past year... it sounds like this team didn't produce whatever hardware Valve wanted.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

EA acquisition.

omg I will pop you straight in the snot locker!

Mcrobrewer
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Trenton, NJ
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

EA acquisition.

I was going to say the same thing.

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

said by Krisnatharok:

»www.techngaming.com/home/news/va···ove-r629

I can't see how this is good.

I don't see how this is bad.

quote:
In early 2012 Ellsworth was hired by Valve Corporation (along with several other notable hardware hackers) to work on gaming hardware. Ellsworth was fired the following year, along with several other Valve employees.
Considering that Ellsworth has a background in electronics design, not software creation, and considering she was hired for gaming hardware within the past year... it sounds like this team didn't produce whatever hardware Valve wanted.

Uh...maybe the fact hat 20-30 other ppl were let go, as well? It mentions one HW person, and ppl are saying it revolved around mostly HW personnel?

Until more news comes out, it's pretty much all speculation except for the fact that it can't be good when such a high number of people are let go. I would venture to say it means more than just 1 team or project is likely impacted.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Mcrobrewer

said by Mcrobrewer:

said by Mike:

EA acquisition.

I can't imagine Gabe allowing that to happen - I would think he would rather shut down the company than sell ti to EA.

»www.tomshardware.com/news/Gabe-N···492.html

quote:
Now Newell reportedly said he'd rather see Valve disintegrate over time rather than sell out to a company like Electronic Arts. Honestly, that's good to hear.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Mcrobrewer
Premium
Trenton, NJ

said by CylonRed:

said by Mcrobrewer:

said by Mike:

EA acquisition.

I can't imagine Gabe allowing that to happen - I would think he would rather shut down the company than sell ti to EA.

»www.tomshardware.com/news/Gabe-N···492.html

quote:
Now Newell reportedly said he'd rather see Valve disintegrate over time rather than sell out to a company like Electronic Arts. Honestly, that's good to hear.

Money has changed many a mind...
--
Obama is a liar.... a cheat... a person of low moral character... the least common denominator...

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

Hes already a billionaire, and is making buckets of cash from steam.

Mcrobrewer
Premium
Trenton, NJ

said by me1212:

Hes already a billionaire, and is making buckets of cash from steam.

There is always more.... who knows.
--
Obama is a liar.... a cheat... a person of low moral character... the least common denominator...

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Mcrobrewer

EA once offered him less than he is currently worth for Valve and the estimates on the value of Valve is $3 billion - EA offered 1/3rd of it... Not a good value but Gabe does not like EA. As he said - he would rather it disappear than be sold - especially to EA.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1
reply to Krisnatharok

They needed to hire people for DOTA2. Half-life ? What is that? Steam and DOTA2 is a lot more important. You should focus on what is bringing in revenue and retire the old software.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to Gordo74

said by Gordo74:

When things become stagnant it is sometimes the right move to clean house.

I can't see how they are stagnating, as they are in the midst of porting titles to linux.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Krisnatharok

Maybe they are looking for devs that can develop for both PC and linux, as well as Apple, and portable devices and game consoles.

Why just keep on hand those that can only do 1 or 2 platforms?
When you could save some cash and have people that can program across multi platforms.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada

Not that I know anything about the US R&D tax system, but maybe they ran out of R&D credits?
--
~ Project Hope ~

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

I dunno. Do game companies get tax credit for R&D costs?

I was just thinking maybe their steam device may not have garnered as much buzz as they thought it would. Hence they decided to kill the project?
--

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada

Newall stated no cancellation of projects.....
Maybe the team just wasn't performing, you know how it gets, personal vendettas, mini power trips, etc.
--
~ Project Hope ~

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Snakeoil

Gaben woulda said something if it was canceled, maybe they just blow and had to be let go. It happens.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
reply to Krisnatharok

Meh about 5% of the workforce, not that big of a deal.

I've seen a couple of rounds of layoffs since I joined the corporate world. In both cases the company wasn't struggling or changing course, it was just a bit of house cleaning.

Companies take a gamble on employees when they hire them. Some of these don't work out and so every once in a while they need clean them out and make room for fresh blood.

In my company's case they are always snatching up an army of fresh grads every summer rain or shine. I had to sit with a guy for a week shortly after I started so that I could take over his work because he was getting laid off. Awkward...

Ratman_84

join:2002-01-31
Sacramento, CA
reply to Krisnatharok

Valve makes BANK off Steam. Money-wise they're fine. They probably just realized there's certain job roles they just don't need to fill anymore.

In other words......all the people working on HL3, because it's never coming out.

Btw, in October it will have been 6 years since Episode 2. Just saying.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

I'll be surprised and sad if HL3 doesn't launch with the steam box + on pc and linux and mac simultaneously

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Krisnatharok

Article on how Valve hires, pays, and fires: »www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1872···TGzDjCzA
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
reply to Krisnatharok

I'd imagine they fire their devs for the same reason every company fires employees: To save some money.

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to brianiscool

said by brianiscool:

They needed to hire people for DOTA2. Half-life ? What is that? Steam and DOTA2 is a lot more important. You should focus on what is bringing in revenue and retire the old software.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've read today.

Half-Life IS Valve. You mention Half-Life, everyone on the planet whos a gamer knows what it is. The name recognition of HL alone is worth more than DOTA2 and 95% of their games. And Half-Life isn't "old software" seeing as how HL2 came out in maybe 2005? There are plenty of games out there that see very long development cycles.

You should, however, just let the grown ups talk. ONLY post to this forum if and when you start making some sense.