Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Snakeoil

Re: Valve firing its devs--why?

Gaben woulda said something if it was canceled, maybe they just blow and had to be let go. It happens.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to Krisnatharok

Meh about 5% of the workforce, not that big of a deal.

I've seen a couple of rounds of layoffs since I joined the corporate world. In both cases the company wasn't struggling or changing course, it was just a bit of house cleaning.

Companies take a gamble on employees when they hire them. Some of these don't work out and so every once in a while they need clean them out and make room for fresh blood.

In my company's case they are always snatching up an army of fresh grads every summer rain or shine. I had to sit with a guy for a week shortly after I started so that I could take over his work because he was getting laid off. Awkward...

Ratman_84

join:2002-01-31
Sacramento, CA
reply to Krisnatharok

Valve makes BANK off Steam. Money-wise they're fine. They probably just realized there's certain job roles they just don't need to fill anymore.

In other words......all the people working on HL3, because it's never coming out.

Btw, in October it will have been 6 years since Episode 2. Just saying.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

I'll be surprised and sad if HL3 doesn't launch with the steam box + on pc and linux and mac simultaneously

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Krisnatharok

Article on how Valve hires, pays, and fires: »www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1872···TGzDjCzA
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
reply to Krisnatharok

I'd imagine they fire their devs for the same reason every company fires employees: To save some money.

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to brianiscool

said by brianiscool:

They needed to hire people for DOTA2. Half-life ? What is that? Steam and DOTA2 is a lot more important. You should focus on what is bringing in revenue and retire the old software.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've read today.

Half-Life IS Valve. You mention Half-Life, everyone on the planet whos a gamer knows what it is. The name recognition of HL alone is worth more than DOTA2 and 95% of their games. And Half-Life isn't "old software" seeing as how HL2 came out in maybe 2005? There are plenty of games out there that see very long development cycles.

You should, however, just let the grown ups talk. ONLY post to this forum if and when you start making some sense.