Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kyip87

join:2009-07-27
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

[DSL] DSL Light sometimes goes out, any ideas?

So right now I'm paying for DSL 15 service but only getting 6-8meg speeds. The DSL light on my modem goes out randomly and back on after a bit. I thought it might be my modem or router so I got my hands on 4 modem/routers including the ones I was already using... Speedstream 4200 modem, TP Link TD-8616 modem, Dlink DIR-615 router and a TP Link TLWR841n router. I am unable to reach the demarc myself(it's on a weird spot, outside wall of the house 2nd floor)... I'm starting to think it might be old wiring but I want to hear some other ideas if anyone has any. Thanks

I've tried two seperate phone jacks and have filters installed for the ones needed

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

You should post this in »TekSavvy Direct

Calmuser

join:2011-10-27
Canada
reply to kyip87

If you look you'll see he already posted there!

Probably without any results, hence this post.

I think he's looking for more feedback on people with similar problems.

Filters? don't you have a Pots splitter installed?

kyip87

Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

yes on the day of service activation the bell tech came in and installed a pots splitter, this one: »www.hometech.com/hts_images/cc/c···0a_4.jpg

If that splitter is there, no filters are needed?

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

If a Pots splitter is installed then no filters are needed.

The purpose of the pots splitter is to filter the signal & seperate it where the line comes into the home.

Martin

Calmuser

Canada
reply to kyip87

as Martin has said..

Get rid of the filters you don't need them!

That might be your issue right there!

kyip87

Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Martin

So leave on the pots splitter used to seperate the phone line/modem and remove the filters around the house? I'll try that thanks

kyip87

Toronto, ON

no dice, the dsl light just dropped twice after I removed the filters and only have the POTS splitter. I also tried taking out the splitter and have only filters which had a more stable connection

Calmuser

Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to kyip87

too bad, would of been an easy fix

thinking as you are thinking now, it could be your wiring.

call a friend over to help you check with the demarc, should be your next step.

kyip87

Toronto, ON

Thanks for the help Calmuser... I'm gonna ask TSI to put in a ticket for me and get a tech to take a look

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

Out of curiosity, you do have the modem plugged in the POTS splitter jack directly? The DSL/Modem jack.

kyip87

Toronto, ON

Hi Martin,

Yes I did but for some reason when I used my home phone it would drop my connection so I removed the splitter and I'm only using filters