share rss forum feed

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

MailSwing

In the snow storm about 2 weeks ago in which we got like 2 feet of snow a plow demolished our mailbox and post. I'm look to replace it with something that hopefully will last more then 1 year as this seems to be an annual occurrence. I ran into this MailSwing product and it looks good. Has anyone seen or used it? Any other ideas? We really don't want one of those brick or stone things either.

»www.ruralmailboxes.com
--
What we're saying today is that you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. - E. Cleaver 1968

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX

said by Draiman:

In the snow storm about 2 weeks ago in which we got like 2 feet of snow a plow demolished our mailbox and post. I'm look to replace it with something that hopefully will last more then 1 year as this seems to be an annual occurrence. I ran into this MailSwing product and it looks good. Has anyone seen or used it? Any other ideas? We really don't want one of those brick or stone things either.

»www.ruralmailboxes.com

When we lived out in the country, we mounted a cheap plastic mailbox on a 8 foot, 10" diameter pipe in just at 1200 lbs of concrete. The mailbox was damaged and replaced a couple of times times, but the pipe was still standing when we moved.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

I'd like something sturdy but not something that could make me liable should anyone hit it. Legally the post needs to break if a car hits it for example. I'd like to avoid possible lawsuits.

Just want something that can stand up to a baseball bat or ice/snow being thrown at 20-30 mph.
--
What we're saying today is that you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. - E. Cleaver 1968

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Draiman

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldgtQl3Clfs

Even though I do not live in a snowy cold climate, I thought that was a pretty cool idea. I found the above video about the owner who makes the mailswing.

A little googlng and I found this alternative product: »www.returntocentermailbox.com/
What Ilike about the alternative product is that it could be used by me to swing my mailbox to the side for retrieving my mail. I live on a busy street with a lot of (too much) traffic. I've seen some folks further up the street who have remounted their mailbox so that it is 90 degrees from the normal position. The mailman does not have to reach any further and it is positioned safer for the homeowner.

So I have no experience with these things either, but I'm interested.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
reply to Draiman

These both look cool. I just replaced my mailboxlast spring and the friggin plows broke it again last week.

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
reply to Draiman

I would like to see a video of a snow plow actually hitting that to see how really effective it is,pretty neat idea nonetheless...
--
Matt Barlow Rules! Bring him back to Iced Earth! \m/

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to Draiman

I grew up in upstate New York, and this was obviously a problem there. We solved the problem ourselves very simply. We just put the post back from the road with an extension of about 3 feet towards the road, everything was made out of galvanized pipe. We put it into the ground inside of another pipe sleeve so it could rotate. When the plow hit it always had to do was swing it back manually. It's a little more work than the one that self returns mentioned above, but it's also much cheaper.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Draiman

Things must be quite different in different locales. Around here, if the city plow destroys your mailbox, they replace it... that is, of course, if the box was installed with the proper setback from the curb in the first place. it usually takes them a couple of days, but they do come and replace the box, post, etc., if needed. Of course, we have well-defined curbing so there's really no excuse for the plow taking the box out. I know, I always make a pass with my snowblower along the curb to help define where the edge of the roadway is. It seems to help as I have never lost a mailbox during plowing, although many of my neighbors have. One year the plow operator took out 6 in a row on one pass. That's over three hundred feet of "inattention". You'd think that after the first box was destroyed, the operator would move over just a bit, but, obviously, that guy was not too bright.

That all being said, the city does a helluva good job in keeping the streets clear every time we have significant snowfall. And I live on a residential back street, not a major thoroughfare.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

The snowplows don't actually hit the mailbox or post. Our was setback 10" from the curb. What happens is they push something that gets thrown into it. I think it was wet snow or ice this time. It crushed the mailbox and broke the wood 4x4 post that was there like a twig. The neighbors on either side of me had no damage.
--

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5

said by Draiman:

The snowplows don't actually hit the mailbox or post.

Right that's the excuse they use here to get out of it. Problem is the stupid idiots go so fast they literally launch the snow at the mailbox. They break mailboxes left and right here and then do nothing when you complain.

I literally took our mailbox down last time it snowed. Ended up bending my neighbors box 45 degree's (new from last year when they broke it) and my neighbor across the street had the entire 4x4 wood post just snap.
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

The Judd Family site!

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
reply to Msradell

said by Msradell:

I grew up in upstate New York, and this was obviously a problem there. We solved the problem ourselves very simply. We just put the post back from the road with an extension of about 3 feet towards the road, everything was made out of galvanized pipe. We put it into the ground inside of another pipe sleeve so it could rotate. When the plow hit it always had to do was swing it back manually. It's a little more work than the one that self returns mentioned above, but it's also much cheaper.

And, I'll bet it's still there.
Gimmicks like this swing thing wouldn't last through a season where I live. The wind alone would wear it out.

I watched the video and something didn't look right. I think this crappy, vague video was poorly staged. The plow blade is the widest portion of any truck doing the plowing. Why hasn't the mailbox moved until the bed of the truck passed by it? What caused it to finally move? It sure as hell wasn't snow propelled from the blade. Or the blade itself.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to Draiman

I've seen the swinging box before and it looks interesting. I've wondered how mail and newspaper delivery folks like it. I think it would make access harder, because it is not rigidly fixed.

I have to say here in southern NH on our little road getting hit by snowplows has not been a problem. Our mailbox has been smashed a few times but never by a plow. We have a Rubbermaid plastic mailbox so to coin a phase: "it can take a beating and keep on ticking."

Post Office regulation specify location and height so the plow does not come all that close to the box. To Dennis See Profile point our guys seem to come by often enough so the amount of snow at each pass is not enough to damage the box. I do have to go out after a heavy storm and cut back the banking a little or the Post Office will not delver because the truck cannot get close enough.

/tom

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

3 edits
reply to Chinabound

said by Chinabound:

Gimmicks like this swing thing wouldn't last through a season where I live. The wind alone would wear it out.

Why because IL is such a harsh environment? *facepalm*

They've been round 40 years now. I can't find a single bad review about the product. If it was a 'gimmick' there would be some evidence somewhere. I've even read some reviews from Canada where they get way more work then in America here. You don't have to buy it or even like it but don't post baseless claims with something you have no knowledge or experience with. That's not helpful to anyone!

Average wind speed by state:
»www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/onl···ind.html
»www.usa.com/rank/us--average-win···rank.htm

Average snowfall by state:
»www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/onl···all.html
--

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
reply to Dennis

said by Dennis:

said by Draiman:

The snowplows don't actually hit the mailbox or post.

Right that's the excuse they use here to get out of it. Problem is the stupid idiots go so fast they literally launch the snow at the mailbox. They break mailboxes left and right here and then do nothing when you complain.

I literally took our mailbox down last time it snowed. Ended up bending my neighbors box 45 degree's (new from last year when they broke it) and my neighbor across the street had the entire 4x4 wood post just snap.

I was working from home earlier in the week when we got that little bit of snow. They weren't plowing but salting. It was a Tuesday so it was garbage day. I watched through my office window as the dick-head plow driver came down my block and launched the garbage cans of everyone on my side of the street. Thankfully the garbage had been picked up but not the recycling. There were bottles, cans and papers everywhere. A-hole

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to Draiman

Since 99 times in 100 it isn't the actual plow hitting the box, but the heavy, high speed ice and snow, there is a fairly simple fix many rural residents do around here. Some do this temporarily with posts and plywood, some do it with nice looking permanent structures, and some go all out crazy like the ramp style seen in one of these pictures. It just needs to be strong and/or flexible enough to take the beating.

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

said by Chinabound:

They've been round 40 years now. I can't find a single bad review about the product. If it was a 'gimmick' there would be some evidence somewhere. I've even read some reviews from Canada where they get way more work then in America here. You don't have to buy it or even like it but don't post baseless claims with something you have no knowledge or experience with. That's not helpful to anyone!

In your opinion. My opinion is given this day and age, if a company can't provide a clear video that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that their product is worth purchasing, but rather shows us some choppy, 3 or 4fps video shot from an angle preventing us from seeing the actual impact against the mailbox - well, I smell a rat.

I don't need to click your useless links to understand the winds coming across the open farm fields here and fields all across North America, the windiest continent, would have those things either rocking or spinning like a windmill. If the snow propelled from the plows are hitting the box hard enough to move it even a quarter of its travel, the box is going to be smashed to hell, anyway, as well.
Lurch's pics show the best way to prevent damage, unless someone chooses to build a brick or stone structure to house their mailbox, which are perfectly legal in my area.

Go ahead and pioneer this swing for us, too.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Chinabound:

said by Draiman:

said by Chinabound:

In your opinion. My opinion is given this day and age, if a company can't provide a clear video that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that their product is worth purchasing, but rather shows us some choppy, 3 or 4fps video shot from an angle preventing us from seeing the actual impact against the mailbox - well, I smell a rat.

I don't need to click your useless links to understand the winds coming across the open farm fields here and fields all across North America, the windiest continent, would have those things either rocking or spinning like a windmill. If the snow propelled from the plows are hitting the box hard enough to move it even a quarter of its travel, the box is going to be smashed to hell, anyway, as well.
Lurch's pics show the best way to prevent damage, unless someone chooses to build a brick or stone structure to house their mailbox, which are perfectly legal in my area.

Go ahead and pioneer this swing for us, too.

I know you love to troll me but your just doing a dis-service to everyone by doing that. If you can't post anything 'useful' refrain from posting anything at all. You don't have to go far to 'smell a rat'.
--