how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

m12345s

join:2010-10-13
Bolivar, MO

Uninstalling Hostsman

Hey guys I have hostsman installed and just for the heck of it I disabled it for a little while and noticed my browsing speed increased a ton, hostsman seems to slow down my connection, so I just got a tracking protection list in IE instead, but my problem is that in my program files hostsman isn't even listed, so I went to the program files folder and manually deleted the hostsman folder, but for some reason it hasn't removed the hosts, and is still acting like hostsman is installed. How can I delete the hosts created by hostsman? Thanks.

jarrycanada

join:2004-12-02

1 recommendation

I'd use a program like Revo Uninstaller, install revo uninstaller, then reinstall hostsman, then use Revo to uninstall hostsman, it should go back to normal..

»www.revouninstaller.com/

check your host file afterwords,
%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

open with text editor, notepad

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_%28file%29

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 recommendation

reply to m12345s

First you should have uninstalled it via the standard uninstall method via control panel. The program does have a back up function where you would have been able to return the Hosts file to it's original state.

Which version of the operating system are you running so we can point you in the right direction.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
reply to m12345s
Via Add | Remove Programs, must be there.

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to m12345s
From memory there is a back up in My Documents. Install Hostsman again, return the hosts file to it's original state from the back up file and then uninstall it correctly.

There is an issue with the DNS service running using a hosts file. Did you disable it and set your ISP's DNS servers manually? This can make that slow browsing work correctly.

art22gg
Premium
join:2005-02-16
Courtenay, BC
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to m12345s
Interesting...
I am also using Hostsman(for many years),ver.3.2.73.0 and it was only until this post did I do some checking...
I am running WinXP sp3 and do NOT have Hostsman listed under Add/Remove...I opened Revo Uninstaller,and it is also not listed there,just for the hell of it I opened Nirsofts uninstaller program and it also is NOT listed there!
Then I went into the registry (HKLM/SW/MS/WIN/CurrentVersion/Uninstall...and there is no listing there!!
Started googling and came across these posts...
How do you completely uninstall hostman from a PC.(from Hostsman)

1)"Depress the Windows key ( the one to the right of the left Ctrl key ) together with E which will open Windows Explorer then navigate to your bootup drive then the Program Files Folder then delete the abelhadigital.com Folder if still present then navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data Folder then delete the abelhadigital.com Folder if still present."

2)1. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and open folder etc

2. Right click on HOSTS and open it with NOTEPAD

3. Do a Select All and delete all the entries.

4. If you are running Windows 7, save the new HOSTS file and exit NOTEPAD. You are done.

5. Add one entry that is 127.0.0.1 localhost

6. If you are running Vista, add a second entry that is ::1 localhost

7. Save the new HOSTS file and exit NOTEPAD. You are done.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Thanks, that did it, should I re-enable window's DNS Client now, I had it disabled when I was running hostsman.

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to art22gg

Ah, understand now. I've always used the installer package.

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to m12345s
said by m12345s:

Thanks, that did it, should I re-enable window's DNS Client now, I had it disabled when I was running hostsman.

If you have manually configured the DNS or it is already set with DNS servers, there is no real need to worry about it unless you start to get bad directing to incorrect sites or you want caching of DNS addressing to make lookups quicker for the more regular sites and such things or if you want to allow auto configuration of DNS.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

siliconman01
Premium
join:2005-05-08
Saint Albans, WV
reply to m12345s
You might want to try the new HostsMan and HostsServer that are currently available as Beta.

»forum.abelhadigital.com/viewforu···6f0a57ff

I have been using them on Windows 7 and Windows 8 under IE 10 and have noticed no browser slow down. I have approximately 32,000 entries in the HOSTS file.

I am currently not using HostsServer. My DNS Client service is enabled.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Thanks, I don't think I need it, I put in a tracking protection list in IE and it is working great. I did reenable the DNS client.