Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

[Praise] Good CS!

I must be one of the lucky few...or perhaps here in the NorthEast we just have better Customer Service.

Added a personally-owned D3 modem in tandem with my current eMTA. Because I need to keep my eMTA for phone service, I did not want to use the walled garden to provision the new modem (Zoom 5341j).

Yes, this may not be rocket science but...my call was answered promptly with a very minimal hold time, I did get transferred once, but it was quick and polite...the CS rep understood what I was trying to do right away, and we got the new modem provisioned without messing up the eMTA.

In short, it was quick, easy, the CS rep communicated well, and in no time flat this was done. Not a huge issue to be sure, but polite, fast, and accurate service with no muss or fuss.

This is maybe the third or fourth time that I have had need of Comcast CS, and to date, not one "bad" phone call experience.

The only times that I have had unsatisfactory dealings with Comcast has been when using their less than stellar "on-line chat". That is another story altogether.

P.S. Thanks EG for some good (and prompt!) advice on my question about doing this!
--
Deeds, not words

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
I had the same pleasant experience several months ago when after I got my 5341J. However did they have a problem with any of the numbers you gave them from the new modem? When I called the rep had some difficulty entering the serial # from the modem I believe. Something like too many numbers with the 5341J or the way Zoom uses them. Can't remember specifics now. He did say he had remembered seeing this issue with other similar products.

It took several attempts but he was finally able to get things working without too much difficulty.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by jbob:

However did they have a problem with any of the numbers you gave them from the new modem?

Funny you should ask! Inadvertantly I wrote down the cmac and somehow skipped over one letter... ...user error!

Figured that out pretty quick however, and all went well.

Not trying to be all sweetness and light...nobody's customer service is exactly stellar, however, I have really had better service dealing with Comcast than I had in a dozen years in dealing with AT&T - both billing and internet service issues.

I can not remember ever having to deal with AT&T's CS over an internet issue without repeating myself, and re-explaining a situation multiple times before they got it right. I generally got good results because I learned to be very patient with CS, but I had several AT&T truck rolls where the "tech" (using the term loosely) would look me in the eye and swear that I "must have" interior wiring issues that simply didn't exist (and each time proved not to be the problem).
--
Deeds, not words

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by PeteC2:

I can not remember ever having to deal with AT&T's CS over an internet issue without repeating myself, and re-explaining a situation multiple times before they got it right. I generally got good results because I learned to be very patient with CS, but I had several AT&T truck rolls where the "tech" (using the term loosely) would look me in the eye and swear that I "must have" interior wiring issues that simply didn't exist (and each time proved not to be the problem).

I had AT&T since before it was AT&T. Never called CS for Internet, though; but about three times for voice issues. SBC at the time, when trucks were rolled, the techs never BSed me with "must be the premises wiring". Always found some problem in the plant, always got it working again.

Dad kicked TCI to the curb in 1995. Signed up DirecTV, took the A-B stuff back to the TCI office, and never touched cable again.

I was seriously looking at Comcast early in 2011, when I was ready to fire AT&T. I wouldn't give Comcast the time o day, now, due to their new ad policy.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to PeteC2
said by PeteC2:

I must be one of the lucky few...or perhaps here in the NorthEast we just have better Customer Service.

Added a personally-owned D3 modem in tandem with my current eMTA. Because I need to keep my eMTA for phone service, I did not want to use the walled garden to provision the new modem (Zoom 5341j).

Yes, this may not be rocket science but...my call was answered promptly with a very minimal hold time, I did get transferred once, but it was quick and polite...the CS rep understood what I was trying to do right away, and we got the new modem provisioned without messing up the eMTA.

In short, it was quick, easy, the CS rep communicated well, and in no time flat this was done. Not a huge issue to be sure, but polite, fast, and accurate service with no muss or fuss.

This is maybe the third or fourth time that I have had need of Comcast CS, and to date, not one "bad" phone call experience.

The only times that I have had unsatisfactory dealings with Comcast has been when using their less than stellar "on-line chat". That is another story altogether.

P.S. Thanks EG for some good (and prompt!) advice on my question about doing this!

Hey Pete... Glad you had a great experience with CC. Generally my calls have been really good as well. However recently I called the cancellation line (without intending to cancel) to see if I could get a better price on my tri-pack bundle. I was able to save a few bucks. Then I asked if I could buy my own modem such as you did and they said yes, but then I would be charged for my eMTA for my voice service. I am in Patterson NY just over the line from New Fairfield CT and 95% of the time I get the call center in Danbury.

So I will try again but this time just speak with a first line rep. Did you get your Zoom moden 5341j from Amazon? Just curious. By chance do you have the name of the rep you spoke with? They sound like they know what they are doing. Send me an IM with any info if you have it. Thanks for your help...Paul

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by YukonHawk:

Hey Pete... Glad you had a great experience with CC. Generally my calls have been really good as well. However recently I called the cancellation line (without intending to cancel) to see if I could get a better price on my tri-pack bundle. I was able to save a few bucks. Then I asked if I could buy my own modem such as you did and they said yes, but then I would be charged for my eMTA for my voice service. I am in Patterson NY just over the line from New Fairfield CT and 95% of the time I get the call center in Danbury.

So I will try again but this time just speak with a first line rep. Did you get your Zoom moden 5341j from Amazon? Just curious. By chance do you have the name of the rep you spoke with? They sound like they know what they are doing. Send me an IM with any info if you have it. Thanks for your help...Paul

I don't know if this will help much...but here goes:

1. I bought my modem retail at Best Buy for $79.95. I could have saved a few bucks elsewhere, but I was there, the modem was there...there 'ya go! I think it would be ok to buy on Amazon only if it is new and not a refurb! That is why to me, a few bucks more retail to have no questions about its ability to be provisioned was worth it.

2. Unfortunately, I do not recall the CS tech's name (maybe "Patty", but I won't swear to that). She was very competent, and communicated well. It was nice to have the reason for my call to be understood the first time I explained it.

3. Absolutely I am still paying equipment rent due to the eMTA that I use for voice, so I did not do this with any plan to save money. I may opt out of voice in the near future however, so I will be prepared which was part of the plan, the other being that I simply wanted separation from my modem versus eMTA so I would not interupt phone linkage when re-booting the modem.

In truth Paul, this was kind of a frivolous move in that Comcast actually offered to send me a cable modem if I wanted to have both the eMTA and a separate modem (in fact, my initial self-install kit came with both eMTA and cable modem). However, shortly down the road I expect to dump voice, and then not pay equipment rental so...

By the way, for what it is worth: Although the TM722G works well enough, I am getting snappier response from the 5341J, especially when I have several devices running at the same time. Perhaps it is the 8 bonded channels versus 4 on the 722G, maybe it is just my imagination, because there is only a very slight improvement on speed test, particularly on the upload.
--
Deeds, not words

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY
Reviews:
·Comcast
Thanks Pete. This helps a lot. I also have the TM722G. When I upgraded my service last March the TM722G was delegated to handle the voice traffic and the Cisco DP3008 was put in tandem to handle the web traffic. I am going to assume CC will charge the same price of $7 p/m for the Arris as they do the Cisco. If that is the case when I call then the point of me buying the Zoom is moot. Thanks again as I appreciate the info you shared.