how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Leafie

join:2007-07-23
North York, ON

[DSL] DSL Modem with Wireless + VOIP?

Hi everyone, I'm stuck. I just recently bought a new modem. It's a TP-LINK TD-W8951ND. I want to use this modem as well as a voip box. Previously I had a Thompson 516, a wireless router, and the voip box. I can connect to the internet just fine but the phone service doesn't work. Any ideas?

Scycotic

join:2012-12-10

Why did you switch? A standalone modem with a router almost always works better than an all-in-one...but if you want to use it, have you tried using DMZ with the VoIP ATA? Or possibly Port Forwarding may work too.

Leafie

North York, ON

I changed because my Thompson 516 died on me. How would I go about in port forwarding? Would this be done on the modem or voip box?

Scycotic

It would be done in the modem. In this case though, why don't you configure the TP-LINK as a bridge and use your old wireless router?

Instructions for Bridge mode.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeN7xV29pbA

Leafie

North York, ON

I think I'll just opt for a standalone modem - the same configuration that I've been using for a long time.

Can I use any ADSL modem?

Scycotic

Putting the TP-Link in bridge mode would essentially be using it as a standalone modem. But if you want to buy another, then yes, any ADSL modem that follows the same standards should work.

Leafie

North York, ON

Yeah, I'll just return the modem tomorrow.

Could I use this? »www.canadacomputers.com/product_···d=024298

Two desktops are connected through my wireless router so it does all of the work.

mactalla

join:2008-02-19
kudos:1

That would work fine. The specific part you're looking for is "ADSL2+" which is listed in the link.

Leafie

North York, ON

Thanks for your reply!

Leafie

North York, ON

I have a question... If my line attenuation is low, would that result in my modem power light to flash red? I have a Thomson 516 and at random times I would lose sync and it would never reconnect. The power light will keep flashing red and I have to power off to get it to sync. My line attenuation for my upload is around 6db. Or has my modem really lived it's final days?

mactalla

6db attenuation is very low (that's a good thing) but the real factor is your SNR (Signal/Noise Ratio). If *that* is 6db then your line is quite bad which is either a result of a high attenuation (low signal) or high noise (faulty/missing filter, or some other cause of noise on the line).

Post a screenshot of DMT (or similar) and we'll have a clearer idea of the situation.

Leafie

North York, ON

It might be the SNR. I can check tomorrow but would that cause the modem to have the power light constantly flash red and never connect to the internet without me having to turn off the power and on again? It happened again about 5 minutes ago. This problem started about 3 weeks ago. My line stats for the most part have always been good though. Could weather play a role?

mactalla

I don't remember the light codes on the modem. Fortunately my line has been rock solid for years now. To know for sure, pull the line stats when it's struggling and again after rebooting.

Weather can definitely play a role. If your line is damaged and exposed to the elements then you could see much higher noise when it's raining, for example. If you have voice on the same line, check for static during the times that your modem is struggling.

A few things that can cause noise on the line:
Damaged cable (blame the squirrels)
Strong radio signals
Missing phone filter
Faulty phone filter (I've had one that worked originally then died and created problems)
Doorbell/intercom connected through the phone wiring
Probably more

Without line stats it's all just guesswork.

Leafie

North York, ON

Alright I'll get my stats later today.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

You know what? That TP-Link 8616 will do fine as long as you don't push the envelope on the connection. If all you're doing and all you'll ever do is a 6m connection, go with the 8616.

If you have any intention of beefing up your DSL, that is go to a 10 12 15 or 16m connection, forget the 8616. It's just a little too lightweight, IMHO.

I've used that unit with a 16m connection, if was not 100%.

This unit...

»www.canadacomputers.com/product_···d=036727

... is a little sturdier and more stable, especially at higher speeds. Also used that one with a 16m connection, worked great, and better than the 8616.

Others on this board have shared similar experiences with these two units, which is how I learned about it.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

Leafie

North York, ON

Thanks for the recommendation dillyhammer.

Here's a screenshot. I think there's something wrong with my line stats? The numbers were never this low for both SNR and attenuation. I know for sure the attenuation was never this low.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13

Low attenuation is VERY GOOD, the opposite of a problem of any kind. Your line there is about as perfect as can be.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
reply to Leafie

Your VOIP box, is it set to DHCP? If not your new router might not recognize it if it is on a different segment.

On the flipside make sure your router is also set to DCHP

Leafie

North York, ON

1 edit
reply to mlord

Isn't my SNR for upload really bad?

Right now I'm using my old setup of Thompson modem and wireless router. I never had any real disconnection problems until about three weeks ago. I've stored using the TP Link since I couldn't use the phone but the internet worked.

Grr it went down again...

Yes my VoIP box has DHCP enabled.

On my Thompson modem the red light always flashes red when it goes down the the Ethernet flashes green. The DSL and internet lights do not go on at all.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

said by Leafie:

Isn't my SNR for upload really bad?

Unfortunately, this is due to you being connected to an IKNS remote.

Nothing you can really do for that.

Martin

Leafie

North York, ON

1 edit

Could that be what's causing my disconnections? I don't recall if I was on that remote before.

I read that the SNR for the upload is always 6 and it's a bug issue that hasn't been fixed? If that's the case my stats look pretty good? Perhaps it is my modem?

mactalla

reply to Leafie

Those stats look quite good that even a marginal modem should work fine. Pull and post the stats again the next time your connection is on the fritz. That should show us if you're getting intermittent noise on the line or not. We'll also be able to see the error count.

Leafie

North York, ON

I went and got the D-Link 520. I don't think I can use DMT for this modem right? I haven't got to the modem interface so I'm not sure if I can get my stats from there.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
Scarborough, ON

You can get your stats from the modem GUI, yes. It's in "statistics". Fairly detailed.

Mike

Leafie

North York, ON

I haven't taken a look at the manual yet. What's the IP address, user and pass? Thanks in advance!

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

username / password: admin / admin

You'll be needing the manual. The 530 has a bit of a router that you'll need to disable and put the unit in bridge mode. Easy to do.

This might help:

»swisscobalt.blogspot.ca/2009/01/···4gc.html

Great little modem. I gave up on DSL, but I still have my 520, just in case.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

Leafie

North York, ON

Thanks for the link! But why would I need to put it in bridge mode? I'm pretty sure it's not in bridge mode now but everything is working fine.

Ah the Thompson doesn't have this router function right? I think I know what you mean. The modem is handling all of the traffic.

mactalla

Because originally you were saying that your VoIP wasn't working but did when you had a simple modem + your existing router. In order to mimic the same setup you would want to "dumb down" your replacement modem to not do any of the routing but act as a simple modem.

Alternatively you could retire your existing router, though often times routers built into modems are sub-par. What you certainly don't want is to chain 2 routers (ie: have the router in the modem then your original router and then your devices). This will result in double NAT which will cause havoc with services like VoIP. So decide which router you want to use and take the other one out of the picture.

Leafie

North York, ON

Yeah I'll put the modem in bridge mode since I need to use my wireless router. Thanks a lot!