Search similar:

uniqs

Leafie
join:2007-07-23
North York, ON

1 edit

Leafie to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn

Re: [DSL] DSL Modem with Wireless + VOIP?

Could that be what's causing my disconnections? I don't recall if I was on that remote before.

I read that the SNR for the upload is always 6 and it's a bug issue that hasn't been fixed? If that's the case my stats look pretty good? Perhaps it is my modem?
mactalla
join:2008-02-19

mactalla to Leafie

to Leafie
Those stats look quite good that even a marginal modem should work fine. Pull and post the stats again the next time your connection is on the fritz. That should show us if you're getting intermittent noise on the line or not. We'll also be able to see the error count.

Leafie
North York, ON

Leafie

I went and got the D-Link 520. I don't think I can use DMT for this modem right? I haven't got to the modem interface so I'm not sure if I can get my stats from there.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

You can get your stats from the modem GUI, yes. It's in "statistics". Fairly detailed.

Mike

Leafie
North York, ON

Leafie

I haven't taken a look at the manual yet. What's the IP address, user and pass? Thanks in advance!

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

username / password: admin / admin

You'll be needing the manual. The 530 has a bit of a router that you'll need to disable and put the unit in bridge mode. Easy to do.

This might help:

»swisscobalt.blogspot.ca/ ··· 4gc.html

Great little modem. I gave up on DSL, but I still have my 520, just in case.

Mike

Leafie
North York, ON

Leafie

Thanks for the link! But why would I need to put it in bridge mode? I'm pretty sure it's not in bridge mode now but everything is working fine.

Ah the Thompson doesn't have this router function right? I think I know what you mean. The modem is handling all of the traffic.
mactalla
join:2008-02-19

mactalla

Because originally you were saying that your VoIP wasn't working but did when you had a simple modem + your existing router. In order to mimic the same setup you would want to "dumb down" your replacement modem to not do any of the routing but act as a simple modem.

Alternatively you could retire your existing router, though often times routers built into modems are sub-par. What you certainly don't want is to chain 2 routers (ie: have the router in the modem then your original router and then your devices). This will result in double NAT which will cause havoc with services like VoIP. So decide which router you want to use and take the other one out of the picture.

Leafie
North York, ON

Leafie

Yeah I'll put the modem in bridge mode since I need to use my wireless router. Thanks a lot!