uniqs
share rss forum feed

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR

Alcohol Ads?

Alcohol is responsible for more deaths than guns....by a long shot(hmmmm pun). Will they too ban alcohol and liquor ads? Not hardly because Ad revenue from alcohol sales dwarfs gun sale Ad revenue.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Oh this is a howler banning something they have never aired directly. FoxNews has ad's for the Henry Repeating Arms Company which are the only such Ad's I see on what I would call a general main stream channel. The Outdoor type channels are full of gun ad's but the people who they are targeting are watching these channels. This is like a fart in a hurricane nobody will even notice it. I suppose the could remove the "outdoor" channels but they are have a large viewer base, if they banned them Dish Network and Direct TV would pick up a bunch of new subscribers.
--
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
- Mark Twain in Eruption

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jbob

said by jbob:

Alcohol is responsible for more deaths than guns....by a long shot...

Actually that is not exactly true
CDC says in alcohol kills approx. 75-80,000 per year including vehicle accidents
while homicide by gun is approx. 47k and suicide by gun is 23,500+.
so the totals are very similar, and too many in both cases.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR

I wonder how many of those gun cases include alcohol? Whoops!

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

probably quite a few.
All the more reason for gun laws to hold owners responsible for controlling access to their weapons.
Sandy Hook (one of the events that brought gun control to the attention it no gets) probably would not have happened had the mother recognized her responsibility to restrict her sons access to her weapons.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

CDC says ... homicide by gun is approx. 47k and suicide by gun is 23,500+.

Where does the CDC get their numbers? The numbers I am finding, posted by LEAs, is lower, much lower. Something like ~14,000 homicides in 1996, and ~10,000 in 2010. The peak firearms deaths I recall seeing reported (but I stumbled across this number a few years back, and can't recall the source) was ~33,000; and that was homicide and suicide combined.

Now waiting for the ... "but 1 is 1 too many" argument. But if you want U.K. numbers you will need U.K.-style restrictions; which will make liars of every politician claiming to not want to take firearms away from USAian owners. You simply can't achieve U.K. comparable results without seizure of at least 280 million USAian firearms.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

Sandy Hook (one of the events that brought gun control to the attention it no gets) probably would not have happened had the mother recognized her responsibility to restrict her sons access to her weapons.

And how should she have done that? Her son killed her. Once you are dead any protection you may have for your weapons (and anything) is lost.