spc
Search similar:

uniqs

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

motoracer

Duhhhh

Better technology decreases the cost for data transmission. Why then do prices keep going up and data caps keep getting lower? $$$$$$$$
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

said by motoracer:

Better technology decreases the cost for data transmission. Why then do prices keep going up and data caps keep getting lower? $$$$$$$$

The prices don't "keep going up", and data caps are non-existent or not enforced.

Our rates today are less than half what they were at the turn of the century, for 60x the speed.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus

In 2000, I was on Earthlink DSL for less than I'm paying now, at 25% of the speed. Adjusted for inflation, probably about the same. Meanwhile, their cost to provide the service has gone down much faster.

Before that, I had a symmetrical 10Mbit university connection which cost us about $30 in fees for 6 months. I will be satisfied with the market when I can have that same deal again.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to elray

to elray
said by elray:

The prices don't "keep going up", and data caps are non-existent or not enforced.

Our rates today are less than half what they were at the turn of the century, for 60x the speed.

You're so clueless it is ridiculous.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to elray

to elray
Then why is the bill two or three times what it was at the turn of the century while most people's pay isn't?

badtrip
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20

badtrip to axus

Premium Member

to axus
said by axus:

... I had a symmetrical 10Mbit university connection which cost us about $30 in fees for 6 months. I will be satisfied with the market when I can have that same deal again.

I pay Sonic $80 a month for 30Mb/2Mb DSL. I am not happy with that price, I think it's too much, but I stay because I can't stand Comcast.

I would be happy to pay $80 for symmetrical 100Mb. Actually, I'd be so thrilled, I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by elray:

You're so clueless it is ridiculous.

Not so much clueless, but an unabashed industry mouthpiece, he works for AT&T or one of the CableCos...

(edit: wrong guy about cord cutter bit)
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by El Quintron:

Not so much clueless, but an unabashed industry mouthpiece, he works for AT&T or one of the CableCos...

(edit: wrong guy about cord cutter bit)

Hard to tell who is a corporate shill and who is just plain clueless but it is the same handful of people that post pretty much all nonsense around here, especially about certain topics (.e.g. Google, cable, caps, FTTH, wireless, etc.) and the clueless actually believe the stuff they spew.
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray to El Quintron

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

I am but a consumer of industry product, but unlike 90% of the partisans here, I give credit where and when it is due, even to terrible companies like AT&T.

My opposition to the daily shrill cries for "more, faster, cheaper", are philosophical - not in support of industry, but in opposition to collectivist action and government oppression through unlawful takings, taxation and monopoly power.

I'm not against cooperatives and local tax districts used for last-mile and middle-mile efforts, so long as they're approved by a supermajority vote of the taxpayers. But we get into trouble when we invite the likes of City Hall to run the show.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by elray:

I am but a consumer of industry product, but unlike 90% of the partisans here, I give credit where and when it is due, even to terrible companies like AT&T.

My opposition to the daily shrill cries for "more, faster, cheaper", are philosophical - not in support of industry, but in opposition to collectivist action and government oppression through unlawful takings, taxation and monopoly power.

I'm not against cooperatives and local tax districts used for last-mile and middle-mile efforts, so long as they're approved by a supermajority vote of the taxpayers. But we get into trouble when we invite the likes of City Hall to run the show.

Sorry buddy I didn't get anything out of that except for some incumbent provider noise... must be something wrong with my monitor.
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray to axus

to axus
said by axus:

In 2000, I was on Earthlink DSL for less than I'm paying now, at 25% of the speed. Adjusted for inflation, probably about the same. Meanwhile, their cost to provide the service has gone down much faster.

Before that, I had a symmetrical 10Mbit university connection which cost us about $30 in fees for 6 months. I will be satisfied with the market when I can have that same deal again.

Earthlink still sells DSL and cable service, and it is reasonably priced, if not downright cheap, depending on the offer. We have it at several sites.

When you return to the university and pay tuition, you can have cross-subsidized 10Mbit broadband again.

I'd rather we all pay the market price for service, so as to encourage as many sellers as possible to compete for our business and evolve their products.