share rss forum feed

isp10002

join:2012-10-24
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Dish Network
·Verizon Wireless..

[DSL] Speeds

Hi everybody anyways frontier is are only wired Internet service in our area and getting it install in another week or so anyways, frontier owns our phone lines in our area, and we called them up months ago and they said they had no equipment in our area, but just a few weeks ago I called my neighbor to ask what Internet they had and he said he had frontier dsl,and so I call up frontier wondering why he has dsl they say no again, I ask my neighbor if he would give me the techs number who installed his dsl service, so I call him up and he said he would take a look at our lines, so he calls me back and says he has installed another gateway because the other one was full, and the reason frontier said equipment wasn't in our area for dsl was because they never filed the information when they installed it which was 2 years Ago! I That makes me mad because I have had dumb verizon with terrible data caps, so anyways the tech said he has to file that dsl equipment is in our area so we can get it installed, which he said will get down with by Friday or so, but anyways my question is what speeds do you think I can Get? The tech said I was 2.5 miles away from the hub, plus I used to have phone service from them, and I remember are lines where noisy my lines should be ok tho what do you guys think the speeds I should Get?

pittpete1

join:2009-06-12

Impossible to tell, ask the tech.
Don't, and I mean don't sign a 2 year agreement in case you need to cancel.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to isp10002

I am not sure anyone here will be able to give you an accurate response for several reasons. I would suggest that you check with your neighbor to see what speeds he is receiving. You could also ask the technician, I am amused that equipment was installed in your area and no one other than the technician is aware of the installation.

isp10002

reply to isp10002

K so the tech said I can get 7 mbps down and 1 up hopefully

gozer
Premium
join:2010-08-09
Rochester, NY
reply to pittpete1

Don't worry about the term contract you have 30 days to cancel.
Also as long as you document the first 30 days by doing speed tests and even ping tests to say 3 different sources atleast once but two times each day one in the morn and one during peak hours. Your covered if the dsl server degrades at all during you term contract period from the first 30 days that you have proof of the performance. This puts you in the drivers seat you can say fix it now or I will cancel my service. Frontier can fix or will threaten you will be charged an ETF, just say I wont pay based on the proof I have of the scale of performance that I saw in the beginning. I have helped many people on the ETF and none that came to me have ever paid an ETF. So dont let that scare you off, just do your homework to collect this data in the first 30 days and your safe. Even the 30 day limit can be or said that it doesn't start until you say if from the start you dont get what they said you can. So do this without fear

isp10002

reply to isp10002

Actually I can only get 1.5 mbps down sadly, but it's actually faster then my old 3g card that runs at about .4mbps, install on Tuesday I'm hoping for at least 900k,im a Xbox gamer so it shouldn't matter unless the ping is wacked.

isp10002

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Dish Network
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to isp10002

The tech told me that I can't do Xbox and stream video (which dosent really matter to me) as I will only have a smartphone and a laptop and a Xbox and a dvr connected to it.. I think the router we are getting is a net gear 7550 I belive, also another question is are phone wiring in our house is pretty old, can they replace That?

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

Yes they can change out the old cable, but you will pay for it. Simpler and less costly to do it yourself. But use CAT5E cable from the NID to your jack. Less noise and loss.

isp10002

It shouldn't be a problem because the phone jack Is right below the NID, also will they replaced the phone line if there's problems with it or will it take some Convincing?

jamesonnorth

join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

If you ask them to replace the lines in your house, they will. Sometimes they charge you, sometimes they don't. Depends on the technician. Just ask them to install/replace the lines.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
reply to isp10002

I guess when you say phone line you are talking about the lines from the central office to your property. If they are bad they will replace or repair the bad section.

pittpete1

join:2009-06-12
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to isp10002

Hes talking about the Inside wiring.
Yes you will and should be charged if you want the wiring after the NID replaced.
Run your own CAT5 homerun to the NID.
Pretty sure most NIDS have the DSL filter in it.
Just have the Frontier tech connect it for ya and throw him 5 or 10 bucks.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

I am not so sure he is only talking about the wiring in his house. I responded to his first question about replacing the line in his home.
He advised it should not be a problem because the jack is below the NID. Next he asked again about replacing the old phone line. That is why it appeared he was talking about the line from the CO to his house or from the pole to his house.

isp10002

The first question I was talking about my wiring inside my house, on the second question I was talking about the phone line from the office to my house. Also my phone lines are underground

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Yes, even if underground if there is a problem with the line they will repair or replace if needed. If it is the portion from the distribution box to your house I am not certain if Frontier would charge you if the line had to be replaced. When I lived in Virginia, Verizon had to replace the line to my house because the did not bury it deep enough and it was damaged by the ground freezing in the winter. Same as the coax for my cable TV.

gozer
Premium
Rochester, NY

1 recommendation

Generally only connections to the main service's charge or make you responsible for the drop or connection from your home to the main line. Most phone companies are responsible for the drop, but there are some exceptions to this say a distance that is longer than the norm or underground.

isp10002

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Dish Network
·Verizon Wireless..

alright so i got it installed about 10 hours ago, and its really good,it turns out we can get 3 mbps! speeds are at a steady 2.5 download and .5 upload,i am a huge xbox gamer and i get little lag rarley. they set me up with a netgear 7550 modem router. good service so far,and also the reason we could get 3 mbps is because he installed a extender,and we are actually at the end of the loop! but speeds are great.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

Excellent, very happy to hear that. I hope your service remains solid without any problems.

isp10002

Frontier's doing a good job at keeping speeds high hovers at 2.5 download and .5 upload.

isp10002

1 edit

Pingtest.net
I have had frontier 3 Mbps dsl for 4 days now, still keeping at a steady 2.5 mbps and .5 upload, very happy with our service.

isp10002

reply to Hank

Can someone tell me how to do a line quality test like the margin and attention to or whatever

gozer
Premium
Rochester, NY

Hope this helps.

»Netgear 7550 Manual

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to isp10002

In your browser enter the address 192.168.254.254, it will prompt you for user ID and password. The default user ID is admin and the password is either admin or password (all lower case). Once you have access the modem go to System Monitoring>Advance Status>DSL this will display the Transceiver Status.

isp10002

Do you think i can get faster speeds?

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

You're pretty much maxed out there. You might want to investigate some improvements in that line though. Your upstream attenuation is rather high in comparison to the downstream, so it could be an indication of a problem. Try performing a NID test and away from that see if Frontier can come out to improve the line a bit further. You're hitting a good amount of errors as is, so it's a good idea to get that fixed so you're not dealing with slow speeds and stalls caused by them.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
reply to isp10002

You are in a similar situation as I am. With the amount of errors that you are currently receiving I don't believe a higher speed will be supported.

isp10002

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Dish Network
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Smith6612

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but if anyone has phone service here and down the street they will have a consistent hum on their phone, could you tell me why it's a problem that the upload has a better attenuation then the downstream I'm not a expert at this stuff yet

isp10002

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Dish Network
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Smith6612

Well I don't know if this has anything to do with is but if anyone down the street or at my house has phone service from them they will get a constant hum on the phone, frontier is aware of this problem and has done nothing to fix it, keep in mind my lines are doing a great jobs as my lines are maybe 10 years old, also the tech said I have alot of phone jacks in my house (like one in every room) so the tech disconnected all of them from the nid and just left the one I was using on the router to concentrate the signal to that jack, and he said our lines in our house were ok.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to isp10002

The upload despite using less of the available tones on a DSL connection is on a lower frequency, right next to the voice frequencies. Lower frequencies, just like in the world of Wireless attenuate less. The downstream frequencies are huge in comparison to the amount of spectrum they take up in the whole picture, and are also higher frequency, so ultimately more attenuation. As an end result, unless something funny is going on in the world of ADSL, the upstream attenuation is typically around half to 2/3rd of the downstream attenuation. Cleaner lines tend to be on the 1/2th mark, whereas longer lines tend to bias towards the 2/3rd mark but can still maintain a low level relative to the downstream.

Anyways, if you do have humming, the next question is where exactly your phone service comes out of, and if it's the same place as your DSL. If the source for both the phone and DSL signal for you is the same, it's likely the humming is caused by a few reasons. Usually, it's a wire somewhere connected to one of the cables in a pair causing 60Hz humming, perhaps from an old load coil that had to be bypassed or a bridge tap. It could also be a waterlogged line, or it could be a tip to ground issue. If your telephone service is coming all the way from a far away Central office (miles away) but your DSL Service is coming from a closer source, it's likely you're hearing a product of what happens to long runs of wire in rougher shape.

Also, keep in mind the field devices used by Frontier techs and also some phones will introduce a natural buzzing when there's any sort of voltage on the line.

Did Frontier ever give you the length of your telephone line along with your DSL length?

isp10002

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Dish Network
·Verizon Wireless..

Well i dont have telephone service right now but i did years ago and had humming and neighbors have the same problum. We are 2.5 miles away from the hub, The tech installed a extender so we could get faster speeds, Fronter told us we are at the end of their loop, and the tech said our lines were ok when he came out. We currently have the faster speeds on the street right now,everyone is on 1.5 mbps (but can upgrade to 3 mbps but hasent yet)