dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« F*ck yeah, America!
This is a sub-selection from Not competitive?
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to 15444104

to 15444104

Re: Not competitive?

said by 15444104:

said by elray:

Nonsense.

Most households have a choice of 3 or 4 pay-tv options.

Perhaps they do in SoCal but not most of the rest of the country.

Where is it in this country, that a Time Warner Cable customer not have access to the two major satellite vendors, and possibly, TelcoTV?

Swindle
Shattered Dreams
join:2006-07-24
Tampa, FL

Swindle

I'm wishing TW has the guts to put ESPN in a special Sports Tier.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to elray

to elray
If you rent the apartment or house you can't just put up a satellite dish or even outside antenna without permission and sometimes paying a deposit to put the dish or antenna up.
54761437 (banned)
join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned) to elray

to elray
It must be magical to be inside your head where economies are always perfectly competitive and cable MSOs never do anything wrong. Truly, the Kool-Aid you drink is a heady brew, indeed.
Chuck_IV
join:2003-11-18
Connecticut

Chuck_IV to elray

to elray
said by elray:

said by 15444104:

said by elray:

Nonsense.

Most households have a choice of 3 or 4 pay-tv options.

Perhaps they do in SoCal but not most of the rest of the country.

Where is it in this country, that a Time Warner Cable customer not have access to the two major satellite vendors, and possibly, TelcoTV?

Many place. You easily ignore line of sight issue with Satellite. Up till last year when UVerse finally got to my area, most people on my area had ONE choice for TV... Charter because most did not have line of sight for either satellite provider and there wasn't anything else.
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray to mikedz4

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

If you rent the apartment or house you can't just put up a satellite dish or even outside antenna without permission and sometimes paying a deposit to put the dish or antenna up.

Wrong.

Anywhere in the country, you can ask permission to place a satellite dish in an apartment or condo, and you don't have to ask, if you have your own private space, i.e. a balcony.

simlesa
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Astoria, NY

simlesa

Premium Member

No balcony in my apartment, and my landlord doesn't let me put a dish on the roof or outside wall.
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray to 54761437

to 54761437
said by 54761437:

It must be magical to be inside your head where economies are always perfectly competitive and cable MSOs never do anything wrong. Truly, the Kool-Aid you drink is a heady brew, indeed.

Nope. Economies are never perfectly competitive, but even duopoly competition is usually better than government regulation.

MSOs have done plenty wrong, but they've done more right in the past ten years, and they deserve credit for it.

If you're upset about your pay-tv bill, that's the result of content costs, not cable profit margins; if you want to lobby for anti-trust action against content bundling, go ahead, its worth a try.
elray

elray to simlesa

to simlesa
Indeed, we too live in that same boat, void of satellite rights and TelcoTV options.

But that doesn't prove a lack of competition - our neighbors on all sides have access to four flavors of pay-tv.

If that was important to us, we would move, as we have in the past when utilities failed us. If your landlord isn't flexible enough, and you so desire satellite over cable, you might consider the same.

Your cable company is still competing with satellite, even if you can't obtain it - they aren't yet sophisticated enough (yet) to determine that or use it against you.

Dryvlyne
Far Beyond Driven
Premium Member
join:2004-08-30
Newark, OH

Dryvlyne to elray

Premium Member

to elray
While that's true when it comes to TV, I don't consider the major satellite vendors or my local telco competitive at all when it comes to Internet service. So unfortunately my family is pretty much stuck with TWC for Internet service at the very least which is around $60/mo as a standalone service.
Dryvlyne

Dryvlyne to Swindle

Premium Member

to Swindle
That would be great if all providers did that, but it won't happen because then they'll no longer be able to easily hide behind ESPN as an excuse for raising rates. I think it would be nice if the price of channels were itemized on everyone's bill so they could see just how much certain channels are contributing to their overall bill.
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray to mikedz4

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

Yes, you can, so long as you have a private area, such as balcony, in which to place it.
« F*ck yeah, America!
This is a sub-selection from Not competitive?