share rss forum feed

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

24Mb "Max Turbo"

I've had DSL (back when it was sbcglobal), and later U-verse for some time. Started out with a 6Mb connection I believe, then 12, then 18. Now they sent me a flyer that I'm eligible for 24Mb "Max Turbo".

Currently I'm provisioned for 18Mb ("Max Plus"), and realize actual throughput around 17.4 down / 1.46 up. The connection has been very stable, which is a must.

Questions:
I've got a pretty rock-solid connection now, so is there any risk of bumping up to the next level? I work from home 90% of the time and I don't want to jeopardize that.

What is the corresponding upload speed for the 24Mb tier?

Can they make the switch as they have done in past, remotely? (i.e. not requiring a truck dispatch.)

What does it cost? (They say I get $5 off for 6 months, but don't say what the price will actually be.)

Thanks!

Tech007
Premium
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

I believe it is 24down/3m up so 20.4m down would be considered within range if you bump up. Yes as before no truck roll is needed since you already in service and all they are doing is telling the system to let you have the higher bandwidth.

If you've not had any issues before than theoretically bumping up should be fine. Do you have tv & voip service as well or only Internet? Your speed may vary if you have tv service because you are sharing your bandwidth for all your services but if you are only Internet than you should be fine

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA

TV, no VOIP.

My understanding is the TV signal uses a different frequency range, and does not affect Internet bandwidth. If you're saying that's wrong do you have an authoritative source?

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..

said by Wily_One:

TV, no VOIP.

My understanding is the TV signal uses a different frequency range, and does not affect Internet bandwidth. If you're saying that's wrong do you have an authoritative source?

How many TVs do you have? Yes TV shares the same pipe as your internet.. If your watching HD say on 3 TV's at the same time your internet bandwidth will be limited.

AT&T UVerse TV is IPTV it runs over the same IP Connection as your internet.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5
reply to Wily_One

said by Wily_One:

TV, no VOIP.

Television has priority over internet traffic but only if you are watching TV or recording on a DVR. If you want I'd be happy to look at your line tomorrow and check to see if it would handle 24 safely.
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

The Judd Family site!

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to Wily_One

said by Wily_One:

What does it cost? (They say I get $5 off for 6 months, but don't say what the price will actually be.)

»www.att.com/u-verse/explore/inte···ding.jsp has speeds and pricing for the U-verse internet plans.

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Matt7

said by Matt7:

How many TVs do you have?

We have 4 TVs; sometimes all 4 are in use but not always, and that's at night. But if TV is just another IP packet, even prioritized, then yeah I better get the upgrade!

said by Dennis:

If you want I'd be happy to look at your line tomorrow and check to see if it would handle 24 safely.

Sure, that would be appreciated, thanks.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5

said by Wily_One:

Sure, that would be appreciated, thanks.

Just drop me your BAN in an IM.

dave006

join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL
reply to Wily_One

said by Wily_One:

said by Matt7:

We have 4 TVs; sometimes all 4 are in use but not always, and that's at night. But if TV is just another IP packet, even prioritized, then yeah I better get the upgrade!

The IPTV and VoIP packets have priority within the U-verse network. So if you are watching live TV or recording then there is some impact to your overall HSIA capablity.

SD Streams take about 1.6-2.0 Mbps and each HD stream takes about 6.8-9.0 Mbps so you can see there is an impact to the overall capacity left for plain data packets. There is some good news in that U-verse uses Capped Variable Bit Rate (CVBR), variable bit rate video encoding enables HSIA to use bandwidth not being currently used by video streams.

This means that VDSL2 QoS service segmentation protects quality of VoIP and video while allowing HSIA data to “burst” into video bandwidth.

Dave

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1
reply to Wily_One

They will do your upgrade remotely. Sometimes they have to come to your house and upgrade your lines. It depends how old the setup is to your DSLAM from your house.

Wily_One
Premium
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to StillLearn

said by StillLearn:

»www.att.com/u-verse/explore/inte···ding.jsp has speeds and pricing for the U-verse internet plans.

Thanks - that shows the price and download speed, but not the upload speed.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

Good point on the upstream. Even if you are not running a server, the upstream has an impact. I figure I have about 16% as much upstream bytes as downstream bytes.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_U-v···Internet has a chart. My upstream corresponds to the VDSL number.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
reply to Wily_One

These are "up to" speeds..

Uverse VDSL2 (required for Triple Play -TV/HSIA/VOIP)

Pro - 1.56 Mbit/s - 3.0 Mbit/s download

1.0 Mbit/s upload

Elite - 3.1 Mbit/s - 6.0 Mbit/s download

1.0 Mbit/s upload

Max - 6.1 Mbit/s - 12.0 Mbit/s download

1.5 Mbit/s upload

Max Plus - 12.1 Mbit/s - 18.0 Mbit/s download

1.5 Mbit/s upload

Max Turbo - 18.1 Mbit/s - 24.0 Mbit/s download

3.0 Mbit/s upload

[I currently have Max] but when I had Max Turbo my speed tests (No TV) was around 21.85 Mb/s download - 2.65 Mb/s upload.

dave006

join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL
reply to Wily_One

said by Wily_One:

said by StillLearn:

Thanks - that shows the price and download speed, but not the upload speed.

AT&T quietly dropped the upload speeds from the materials. In my case, my Max Turbo was orignally listed and sold as up to 24 Mbps down and up to 3 Mbps up when I upgraded.

While I have never seen a true 3 Mbps up, I do get a very sold 2.84 Mbps to the both the Atlanta and Dallas based Megapath (Speakeasy Speedtest) hosts any day of the week on a WiFi connected PC.

Dave

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to Wily_One

said by Wily_One:

said by Matt7:

The line has a higher sync rate than the HSI speed (32mbps for a 24mbps internet connection). So some amount of TV will not affect internet speeds, but if you use all 4 HD streams at once, you'll see a significant drop in speed during that time.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

bitbang3r

join:2011-08-25
Hollywood, FL
reply to Wily_One

It's possible that they might have to do a truck roll... possibly several. I spent about two weeks getting them to upgrade me... about a week was spent on the phone repeatedly calling Tier 2 support and threatening to cancel if they didn't get me upgraded (3mbps up was a non-negotiable requirement), and another week was spent on 2 prem tech visits, an outside lineman, and another outside line tech (whose work was entirely at the VRAD).

Problem 1: my wiring at the pedestal (where the bundle was terminated at a block and connected to the wires leading to my house was good enough for voice and legacy DSL, but had to be redone with twisted wires to improve the SNR.

Problem 2: I had to give up POTS and settle for VoIP. This was hard for me to do, because POTS was my "get online by calling a dialup number out of state" method of last resort to fall back on during hurricanes. Uverse has backup power, but a slow sloppy wet tropical storm that causes regional power loss is likely to knock them out for at least a few hours, even in areas where POTS keeps working. Part of the reason is that for the 32/5mbps profile to work reliably, the wires have to go straight from the demarc to the VDSL2 modem, with NO branches WHATSOEVER. Ergo, splitting it off through a filter to the modem, and running the other branch through the house to all the phone jacks is a no-go. The whole thing acts like a big bridge tap.

Problem 3: They had to swap cards at the VRAD. I never quite got a straight answer about whether my first card was damaged (by lightning, perhaps), or simply had to be replaced by a higher-capacity card, but either way, there was a day delay while they ordered the new card.

Problem 4: Victory... almost. I was sync'ed up with 35 down and 5 up, good SNR, low error rate... but speedtest was still showing me at 18 down and 1.5 up. After having an extended argument about sharing bandwidth between data and TV, they finally noticed that I was provisioned for 32/5, but nobody ever bothered to change my internet service to Max Turbo 24/3.

The biggest single problem I had with AT&T was their procedures and bureaucracy... all of which appears to be set up to make it easy for low-level people to say, "sorry, you can't get the service", and HARD to force them to do anything that requires actual lineman work or repairs. They want to sell you whatever they have in the ground or on the pole RIGHT NOW, wring as much profit as they can out of the money they've already spent, and will fight as hard as they can to avoid spending more.

That said, once they finally got everything working... it works extremely well. My nominal local-loop speeds are half of Comcast, but my throughput (especially to hosts outside the US) is almost double what I used to get with Comcast. Comcast is faster for web-surfing of popular sites with locally-cached content, but AT&T seems to have more real, honest to god fiber backhaul ready to provide true sustained adhoc connectivity to arbitrary hosts anywhere on the internet.

The biggest advice to others I can give: get U-verse installed with 18/1.5 and TV, make sure it's working well for a few days and you're less than 1,600 feet from the VRAD with a low error rate and good SNR, then start pestering them in week #2, crank up the heat in week #3, and tell them point blank during week #4 that you're going to cancel unless they get it working or extend your trial period until they can give you a concrete yes-or-no answer... and that a 'no' answer will result in your cancellation. Your bargaining position will never be stronger than it is during your first month, because AT&T's senior management PASSIONATELY cares about their 30-day retention/conversion statistics.

bitbang3r

join:2011-08-25
Hollywood, FL

A few more tips:

* The quality of U-verse support is WILDLY variable. During my quest to get 24/3 max turbo, I encountered a few tier-1 support people who knew EXACTLY what I wanted, and I encountered two complete *idiots* in tier 2 who knew less about VDSL2 than I did (one of whom said I couldn't get max turbo because I also had TV service, another said the service "wasn't offered in my area". Both were obviously wrong.)

* In general, the workflow seems to be that you call support, tell them that you want to get your line's profile upgraded to the 32-meg (32mbps down, 5mbps up) profile so you can upgrade to max turbo 24/3 internet. They'll go through the motions of trying to add the service, be unable to do it unless you already had 24/3 and just discontinued it, and transfer you to tier 2 support. You'll tell the same thing to tier 2, at which point they'll do a little more work to try and automatically activate it. When they fail, they can only transfer you to sales. The sales person has to dispatch a prem tech to your house. The prem tech has to put in a buddy ticket to dispatch a lineman. Once the lineman arrives, you can breathe a sigh of relief... you're in the home stretch. The lineman will get everything necessary to make it physically work done, at which point it goes back to tier 2 to get your profile changed in the computer, then enable 24/3 internet.

* My experience is that activating 32/5 does NOT automatically translate into upgrading to 24/3... it's a necessary, but not necessarily sufficient, prerequisite. I've been told that even after they've increased the line speed, they try to throw that last speedbump at you because a Max Turbo customer uses the VRAD/fiber resources of two 18/1.5 customers, and their senior management's #1 priority is to sell what they have and maximize sales per VRAD, so they REALLY don't WANT anybody to actually subscribe to Max Turbo. They REALLY want you to upgrade to U450, or get additional receivers, or upgrade to unlimited international calling... anything that doesn't permanently allocate a chunk of their VRAD's hard capacity to one single customer.

WARNING: After the visit from the prem tech, but BEFORE the lineman arrives, you'll probably get a call from customer care. DO NOT ANSWER IT. If you do, DO NOT in ANY WAY say anything that could be interpreted as "I have working internet or tv service" right now. They'll do ANYTHING to get you to imply that the prem tech's visit resolved your problem (or "a" problem), and if they do, they'll close the support ticket. Closed tickets can't be re-opened, and automatically cancel any outstanding service requests (including the lineman the prem tech just scheduled).

I'm not making this up... it happened to me (they tricked me into saying my internet was working, and closed the ticket before I had time to even scream "No!"), and prem tech #2 literally told me point blank, "DO NOT answer any call from an 800 number, an unlisted number, or a non-local areacode, until the lineman arrives... and if you do, just say "I'm still having problems" and hang up without further discussion." The guy told me that they will literally TRY to use any excuse they can to close out the ticket, and will sometimes close it anyway if the autodialer logs an answered call from you. As long as you don't answer the call, you're safe (they can't close the ticket unless the call is at least logged as 'answered').

Tech007
Premium
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

the only problem with what you have described is that not every customer can get a 32mb profile because of Loop length on the copper. So yes what you have described is a good process to get thru some red tape, but this wont work for everyone

just dont want everyone to thing that this is gospel

Barry_W

join:2004-02-07
Concord, CA

1 edit
reply to Wily_One

I'm a gamer and ping times are of more importance to me that out and out speed...

However 24/3 would be nice.

Does anyone know how (if) the ping times compare between the uVerse 24/3 and traditional 6meg ADSL ??

Thanks

Barry

Edit
OOPS - did some forum reading and I see it's still an issue.
I get 9ms to the first hop and 11ms to 4.2.2.2
I believe I've ADSL over fiber, and I'm stuck with it.
Barry