join:2005-02-16
Courtenay, BC

1 recommendation

art22gg to m12345s

Premium Member

to m12345s

Re: Uninstalling Hostsman

Interesting...
I am also using Hostsman(for many years),ver.3.2.73.0 and it was only until this post did I do some checking...
I am running WinXP sp3 and do NOT have Hostsman listed under Add/Remove...I opened Revo Uninstaller,and it is also not listed there,just for the hell of it I opened Nirsofts uninstaller program and it also is NOT listed there!
Then I went into the registry (HKLM/SW/MS/WIN/CurrentVersion/Uninstall...and there is no listing there!!
Started googling and came across these posts...
How do you completely uninstall hostman from a PC.(from Hostsman)

1)"Depress the Windows key ( the one to the right of the left Ctrl key ) together with E which will open Windows Explorer then navigate to your bootup drive then the Program Files Folder then delete the abelhadigital.com Folder if still present then navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data Folder then delete the abelhadigital.com Folder if still present."

2)1. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and open folder etc

2. Right click on HOSTS and open it with NOTEPAD

3. Do a Select All and delete all the entries.

4. If you are running Windows 7, save the new HOSTS file and exit NOTEPAD. You are done.

5. Add one entry that is 127.0.0.1 localhost

6. If you are running Vista, add a second entry that is ::1 localhost

7. Save the new HOSTS file and exit NOTEPAD. You are done.
m12345s
join:2010-10-13
Bolivar, MO

m12345s

Thanks, that did it, should I re-enable window's DNS Client now, I had it disabled when I was running hostsman.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg

Ah, understand now. I've always used the installer package.
norwegian

norwegian to m12345s

Premium Member

to m12345s
said by m12345s:

Thanks, that did it, should I re-enable window's DNS Client now, I had it disabled when I was running hostsman.

If you have manually configured the DNS or it is already set with DNS servers, there is no real need to worry about it unless you start to get bad directing to incorrect sites or you want caching of DNS addressing to make lookups quicker for the more regular sites and such things or if you want to allow auto configuration of DNS.