Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rdonchez

join:2010-07-17
Bethlehem, PA

2 edits

TIVO Whole Home - MOCA Question BB Bethlehem, PA

With the Whole Home Tivo Bundle, is it always necessary to have a separate MOCA Bridge? If you connect the TIVO Q directly to the router, does the Q then serve as the bridge in lieu of a dedicated MOCA Bridge? If so, is there any advantage performance wise to having a dedicated MOCA Bridge, versus using the TIVO to serve that function? Thanks.

shadyman777
The Hero of Time
Premium
join:2009-03-02
Bath, PA

Re: TIVO Whole Home - MOCA Question

You don't need to use the MOCA bridge and can turn the feature off. All previews and the Q need to all be hardwired on the same LAN. I've heard MOCA is quicker as far as lag when starting a show.

Hope this helps.

rdonchez

Bethlehem, PA
reply to rdonchez

If the Q is hardwired to the router, would the Preview need to be hardwired as well, or would wireless be ok for the Preview?

clock

join:2007-05-02
Roslindale, MA

The Preview would have to be hard wired as well.

rdonchez

Bethlehem, PA
reply to rdonchez

Ok, so assuming I do use MOCA, do i need the seperate MOCA Bridge, or does the Tivo Q, when hardwired, become a bridge?

shadyman777
The Hero of Time
Premium
Bath, PA

said by rdonchez:

Ok, so assuming I do use MOCA, do i need the seperate MOCA Bridge, or does the Tivo Q, when hardwired, become a bridge?

The Q becomes the bridge that passes the internet on to the preview.

rdonchez

Bethlehem, PA
reply to rdonchez

Is there any advantage to having a separate actiontec unit serve as the bridge rather than relying on the tivo?

rdonchez

Bethlehem, PA
reply to rdonchez

Also is it advised to encrypt the MOCA?

hydrox
Premium
join:2010-10-30
Lexington, MA
reply to rdonchez

My setup:

My Q is adjacent to an ethernet switch, so I "hardwired" my Q to my ethernet system with a three foot ethernet cable.

My Preview is located in a room without ethernet access, but with the RCN coax. RCN will give you one Actiontec MOCA "free" when you get the bundle. I took the "free" Actiontec MOCA bridge and set it up here to provide an ethernet connection to my ROKU box (and any other ethernet device that I wish to hook up here).

And, yes, RCN insisted on being physically present to do the actual hookup. They do install a filter on the system side of your coax cable (network) to block your Internet signals from bleeding out to the rest of the world making encryption unnecessary.

I hope this helps.

shadyman777
The Hero of Time
Premium
Bath, PA

said by hydrox:

RCN will give you one Actiontec MOCA "free" when you get the bundle.

Really? I never got one lol. The MOCA was built in to the Q and preview. I do have an ethernet cord in my Q though. But my preview doesn't have any dongle.

artjohn
Premium
join:2000-11-17
Chevy Chase, MD
reply to shadyman777

said by shadyman777:I've heard MOCA is quicker as far as lag when starting a show.
[/BQUOTE :

We have two Premiers, a Preview and an a Q all hardwired over CAT5 ethernet and haven't noticed any lag when starting a show

Can't imagine being able to perceive any speed difference between MOCA and CAT5; theoretically, CAT5 an CAT5e are faster than MOCA, but I suppose that how TIVO implements the two makes the difference.

hydrox
Premium
Lexington, MA
reply to shadyman777

said by shadyman777:

said by hydrox:

RCN will give you one Actiontec MOCA "free" when you get the bundle.

Really? I never got one lol. The MOCA was built in to the Q and preview. I do have an ethernet cord in my Q though. But my preview doesn't have any dongle.

Since the Q has the built in MOCA adapter and the Preview is connected to the coax, no external Actiontec is required at all.

I did find that RCN will provide one Actiontec MOCA adapter at no cost somewhere in RCN's fine print. I then thought I could use the "no charge" Actiontec device to enable "non-coax" ethernet access into my other room and not rely on wi-fi for my other devices that don't have a coax connection. I think I had to specifically ask for the free unit when ordering the bundle, and had to direct the RCN Tech how to wire it for my purposes since he knew it was not required for my setup. Oh, did I also say I love RCN.

rdonchez

Bethlehem, PA
reply to rdonchez

Re: TIVO Whole Home - MOCA Question BB

I got the bundle setup. When I go to the "MY Shows" on the Preview it shows about 11 Tivo Premiere's with an exclamation point next to them. When you click on one it says "The DVR XXXX could not be found. There may be a problem with your home network or the network connection on your Tiv boxes . . ."

I'm not sure why it would be showing all of these. I only have the preview and Quad in my household. Any suggestions?

hydrox
Premium
Lexington, MA

said by rdonchez:

Any suggestions?

First check your network connections on both boxes.

On the Q, under TiVo - settings - network, it should say "Network connection details" and list type as Ethernet + MOCA with an IP and MAC ID. Then, under View Network status, it should indicate an Ethernet/MOCA as Bridged and the MOCA network details Link status as "UP".

On the Preview, under TiVo - settings - network, it should say Network connection as MOCA with an IP and MAC ID. Then, under View Network status, it should indicate the MOCA network details Link status as "UP".

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium,VIP
join:2003-05-02
Herndon, VA
kudos:11
reply to rdonchez

Re: TIVO Whole Home - MOCA Question

said by rdonchez:

If the Q is hardwired to the router, would the Preview need to be hardwired as well, or would wireless be ok for the Preview?

Hey All, I didn't read thru the entire thread but I just wanted to note that the Q has a ECB built into it. So if the Q is WIRED directly to the router , then the Q can send moca all around the house and you do NOT need to hardwire any of the previews. They will get Internet thru MOCA delivered from the Q.

-Jason
--
Jason Nealis,
V.P. Engineering and Operations