share rss forum feed

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Speed] "Upgraded" to DOCSIS 3.0, speed halved.

I had an ancient SB5100 and all was well. My mom was renting a modem so I thought I would give her my SB5100 and I would upgraded to a SB6141.

Well I just did. Before the upgrade I was getting

DN: 21Mb
UP: 2Mb

Now I am getting

DN: 8 - 16Mb

The tests were done an hour apart after the new modem was up and running. Is this normal? Does it take time to come up to speed? I have the performance tier so I'm good with the speeds. I just expected an increase or at worst the same, but not a speed drop.
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

Re: [Speed] "Upgraded" to DOCSIS 3.0, speed halved.

said by dnoyeB:

I had an ancient SB5100 and all was well. My mom was renting a modem so I thought I would give her my SB5100 and I would upgraded to a SB6141.

Well I just did. Before the upgrade I was getting

DN: 21Mb

Now I am getting

DN: 8 - 16Mb

The tests were done an hour apart after the new modem was up and running. Is this normal? Does it take time to come up to speed? I have the performance tier so I'm good with the speeds. I just expected an increase or at worst the same, but not a speed drop.

Can you run shaperprobe and post the results?
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to dnoyeB

Did you have the new modem provisioned correctly ?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 recommendation

said by ExoticFish:

Did you have the new modem provisioned correctly ?

How exactly is the end user to know that ?

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

Call and find out if it was done correctly... Like anyone else.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.ChinchillasForum.com

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by ExoticFish:

That would seem to be a reasonable first step.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

Southfield, MI
reply to dnoyeB

I will call them. It took him several tries to get it going so he might have just 'tried something' in the end.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by dnoyeB:

I will call them. It took him several tries to get it going so he might have just 'tried something' in the end.

Wouldn't hurt to call and have them re-provision the modem, but it really would be good to see shaperprobe results as I asked.
--

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to ExoticFish

said by ExoticFish:

Can every single one of their phone reps really be trusted ? Come on, you've been around long enough to know the answer....

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

Then post in the Direct forum. Bottom line is HE has to contact someone with Comcast, we can't do it for him and we cannot tell him if his config file is correct.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.ChinchillasForum.com

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

said by ExoticFish:

Then post in the Direct forum. Bottom line is HE has to contact someone with Comcast, we can't do it for him and we cannot tell him if his config file is correct.

Generally Agreed. I've had very good results by relying on the Shaperprobe tool to advise posters of their provisioned speeds.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

Southfield, MI
reply to dnoyeB

tried shaperprobe. It got 1/2 way through then crashed. I'll give it another go tonight if I have time.

Expand your moderator at work

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to EG

said by EG:

said by ExoticFish:

Generally Agreed. I've had very good results by relying on the Shaperprobe tool to advise posters of their provisioned speeds.

I agree with both steps.

First, try to re-run Shaperprobe and let's see what's what, as well as also posting the SB6141's status page...should give some idea what is going on. Then if need be a call to Comcast CS may be called for. At least that way, the OP can be on a little better footing explaining the issue, yes?

Were I in a similar situation, that is exactly what I would do: Perform as much diagnositc/trouble shooting 101 stuff on my own as possible, only then calling CS. That includes the simple things like double-checking connection, re-booting the modem, and if going through a router, ethernet-connect the modem direct to a computer first to make sure that this is on the modem end of the equation.

That almost always helps me get quicker, better results when dealing with CS.
--
Deeds, not words

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

Southfield, MI
reply to dnoyeB

i don't have access to the modem's web interface.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

Why not ? Simply go to »192.168.100.1/cmSignal.htm

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

Southfield, MI
reply to dnoyeB

No access. Connection Timeout.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL

Even if you just go to the IP?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to dnoyeB

said by dnoyeB:

No access. Connection Timeout.

Plug your PC directly into the cable modem, statically assign an IP of 192.168.100.2 and a netmask of 255.255.255.0

Then try it...
--

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dnoyeB

I have 2 switches, 2 wifi AP, and a router, phone TA, printer, etc. All giving up their web access pages just fine. This one is not.

Remember, I had a SB5100 plugged in before this one and it uses the same 192.168.100.1 address.

This is a no go.
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

You have something configured wrong then.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to dnoyeB

So connect a PC directly. If it doesn't work then you know it's the modem. If it does work, you know it's something in your network setup/configuration/layout.
--