drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

Diablo 3 Coming to a PlayStation Near You

quote:
Chris Metzen just announced that Diablo 3 will be coming to both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. It is currently running well on the PS3 with a console optimized UI and controls and has a four player co-op mode. More information will be revealed at PAX East.
»www.mmo-champion.com/content/313···ystation

Feel free to visit the local wailing and gnashing of teeth thread for PC players: »Official Diablo 3 Thread
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA

1 edit
As someone who put many, many hours into Diablo 3's epic bucket of fail at launch and for a few months thereafter...I laugh. No one's going to care - not the potential players, and not the PC gamers still playing with it.

On the bright side, I did earn about $40 from the Real Money Auction House before the market collapsed.

Edit: I concede there are apparently in fact a lot of angry people on the forums right now, according to Kotaku. They should be happy the game might get a few more players and breathe some life back into the economy.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
said by danawhitaker:

They should be happy the game might get a few more players and breathe some life back into the economy.

Unless Blizz puts all of the console folks on separate servers.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
reply to drew
The question of offline play has now been answered:

»www.joystiq.com/2013/02/25/diabl···ne-play/
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
reply to Goggalor
said by Goggalor:

said by danawhitaker:

They should be happy the game might get a few more players and breathe some life back into the economy.

Unless Blizz puts all of the console folks on separate servers.

And that appears to be the case: »www.joystiq.com/2013/02/26/no-cr···attle-n/
--

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to drew
What's to say we ever wanted it?

It's basically just blizzard trying to pimp out Diablo III as another World of Warcraft... and I don't want a muhmorpuger on my console, thank you.

Even when the thing is finally hacked to enable piracy (LOL), this isn't a game that would even be worth the download, much less purchase.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
said by C0deZer0:

It's basically just blizzard trying to pimp out Diablo III as another World of Warcraft... and I don't want a muhmorpuger on my console, thank you.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about or was this yet another horrible attempt at slamming something you don't like nor understand?
--

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
The funny thing is, after the announcement, I've started playing again, and I find myself rather enjoying it. I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy it on a console though.

D3 isn't really a MMORPG - it's nothing like WoW. Well, not *nothing* like - there are some similarities, but I actually found WoW's development team pulling in features from Diablo 3 more than anything. But it's not a monthly subscription game, there's nothing like raiding, etc. D3 did sell well initially. I can see why they'd consider porting it to console. Given the fact that there's going to be an offline mode with the console version, it'll function exactly like any other offline single-player or multiplayer console game where people play together in the same room.

And it's not going to be using Battle.net, etc. I'd assume that also means the auction house is up in the air, particularly the RMAH since that requires jumping through multiple hoops with Ebay and Blizzard and using an authenticator on your battle.net account.
--

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to drew
My daughter stole my Wii. The Xbox360 I purchased the day they were released hasn't been hooked up in 2 years. My original "fat" PS3 is on bluray duty. This is great news!

I play WoW way more than I should, and I do love playing D3... the issue is after hours of WoW I'm ready for a change of scenary. Hopefully this will turn out decent, because my computer chair has nothing on my couch..

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
weasled386, just keep in mind that you cannot use the same characters from your PC version of the game on the console. They'll be completely separate. That for me completely dampens the enthusiasm, because I hate the idea of starting all over when I already have a level 60/paragon level 8 character running Inferno.
--

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
said by danawhitaker:

weasled386, just keep in mind that you cannot use the same characters from your PC version of the game on the console. They'll be completely separate. That for me completely dampens the enthusiasm, because I hate the idea of starting all over when I already have a level 60/paragon level 8 character running Inferno.

True, but that shouldn't be an issue for me. I really just like run around, with no real direction, and kill things. After putting so much effort into Warcraft its nice to just.... do whatever Thats exactly what D2 was for me as well.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
said by weaseled386:

said by danawhitaker:

True, but that shouldn't be an issue for me. I really just like run around, with no real direction, and kill things. After putting so much effort into Warcraft its nice to just.... do whatever Thats exactly what D2 was for me as well.

That I can understand actually. I played WoW almost daily from 2008 until D3 came out. D3 was like a breath of fresh air. I got extremely frustrated after some changes they made last summer (like the repair cost spike, removing gold from certain breakables, etc.) and quit that for a while too, but it seems like they've made an effort to make the game fun again. I'm back to mostly playing my consoles and now doing multiplayer D3 with a former guildie from WoW. Too many of the changes to WoW ruined the fun for me. I found the daily grind in MoP to be particularly brutal, and every fight felt like a dungeon trash pull with having to interrupt and keep up a real rotation instead of just tearing through stuff and getting dailies done quickly like Firelands dailies and the Argent Tournament stuff.
--

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21

1 recommendation

reply to drew
said by drew:

said by C0deZer0:

Do you have any idea what you're talking about or was this yet another horrible attempt at slamming something you don't like nor understand?

I also can't stand MMORPGs. Starcraft 2 was terrible!
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
You do know StarCraft isn't an MMORPG right?

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21
said by Metatron2008:

Oh sorry, "muhmorpuger".
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
said by Weirdal:

said by Metatron2008:

Oh sorry, "muhmorpuger".

It's not that either.
--

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
reply to drew
said by drew:

said by C0deZer0:

I'm still ticked at blizzard for basically cancelling every single good idea or basically ruining every good idea post-WoW.

Starcraft Ghost? Gone. And even if they do decide to bring it back, it'll officially now have a longer development time than Duke Nukem Forever.

Anything involving Lost Vikings? I doubt they'd even remember them at this point, much less make something that isn't so horrible it makes EA's SimCity fiasco look good by comparison.

Diablo 3? Error 37. All day, every day... that's all anyone ever says about it.

Starcraft 2? Why the hell would I pay $60 for one third of a full game? Multiplayer doesn't count.

I will just laugh when enough people are so bored and disgusted with WoW that they then are forced to do actual work for a new project for a change. And even then, betting money practically assures it'll just be another WoW. Because after ten years of polishing that turd, that's all they know how to do.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
said by C0deZer0:

I'm still ticked at blizzard for basically cancelling every single good idea or basically ruining every good idea post-WoW.

*snip*

Anything involving Lost Vikings? I doubt they'd even remember them at this point, much less make something that isn't so horrible it makes EA's SimCity fiasco look good by comparison.

Diablo 3? Error 37. All day, every day... that's all anyone ever says about it.

Starcraft 2? Why the hell would I pay $60 for one third of a full game? Multiplayer doesn't count.

I will just laugh when enough people are so bored and disgusted with WoW that they then are forced to do actual work for a new project for a change. And even then, betting money practically assures it'll just be another WoW. Because after ten years of polishing that turd, that's all they know how to do.

I can't comment on Ghost - I'm behind a decent firewall and can't check gaming sites for info.

As for Lost Vikings - that IP was dead well before WoW entered the picture. WoW had nothing to do with it.

I see a pretty good swath of opinions, etc. on D3 from /r/Diablo - there is a MAJOR love-hate relationship in that forum but with a better than official forums level of civility. I haven't seen anything about Error 37 in many months. The fact that a quick google has a lot of talking around May of 2012 and not recently (even the "news") section seems to bear that out... You followed some blogs/gaming news sites over 6 months ago and that's all you remember. Taking teenager selective hearing to a new level. Kudos.

As for Starcraft 2, I'll just re-quote you, because anyone that knows anything about SC or SC2 will just shake their head in sadness:
quote:
Multiplayer doesn't count.
As for "actual work"... HotS (SC2's expansion) is getting pretty good reviews. People are saying the story telling is excellent... They're putting a lot of effort into "Titan" whatever that may be. They aren't EA and don't release "XXXX 20XX" every year. There's plenty of work being done on things that aren't WoW.
--

Valerie

join:2013-03-14
Neillsville, WI
reply to drew
Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all!

Wow, Diablo 3 on PS? That sounds great!

I, once, played the first-ever Diablo. It was awesome! I used Necromancer as my character.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
reply to drew
Well maybe you're just not the kind of person I would want to play with, drew See Profile. did you ever think of that?

I never base a buying decision on a game by its multiplayer component, regardless of platform. Even when I did play RTS's like Starcraft, I never even looked at the multiplayer until I finished the campaign first.

And especially in this day and age where none of the publishers want to allow us to have dedicated servers anymore, it's especially true of how limited multiplayer has become on any game, because within a couple of months, the then-flavor-of-the-month is already old news and nobody wants to play it anymore.

Starcraft Ghost was looking to be awesome, and then blizz put it into the backburner, and then square into the vaporware alongside the Phantom and any real chance of a worthy sequel to Chrono Trigger. Considering the dates when it was first announced, if ever Blizz picks it up again, it will officially have a longer dev time than Duke Nukem Forever did, and any expectation there was of it even remotely living up to what the original ambitions and promotions were would be completely dashed aside, assuring it would get panned.

Last I checked, Starcraft was a complete experience, with a complete set of campaigns and missions for all three factions, and one could pick up a 'battle chest' version now complete with two sets of expansions on top of what the core game provided for less than a DVD movie now. Paying $60 for only one faction's campaign means Blizz wants us to pay them $200 for a full game, notwithstanding any expansions they do after the fact. That makes no sense whatsoever to me.

So from my perspective and opinion, all Blizz has been doing the last ten years has been circle-jerking around the same codebase that is World of Warcraft, instead of actually doing actual work and making something exciting for a change. So it never bothered me when they pretty much ignored the console market after the PS1 generation. And to come back with the universally panned Error 37 Diablo 3 for PS4? I was honestly expecting something better; something actually exciting and worth getting hyped about.
--
Because, f*ck Sony