Rexter
Libertas, Aequitas, Veritas
join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

1 edit

Rexter to dib22

to dib22

Re: [WIN8] wINDOWS 8 UPGRADE ON NEW hd

I'm not really sure I see a point to the "refresh" for this purpose. I installed it the first time. It accepted the key for install, but refused to activate. I then went through the install process again, while deleting the entire hard drive, clean install. This time it activated automattically. Basically, it does work just like Windows 7 Upgrade, except you have to enter the key to get it installed both times.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Windows 8 has a built in "re-install" function that they call refresh.

here is a clean install guide with most of the possibilities:

»www.eightforums.com/tuto ··· ade.html
dib22

dib22 to Rexter

to Rexter
said by Rexter:

I'm not really sure I see a point to the "refresh" for this purpose. I installed it the first time. It accepted the key for install, but refused to activate. I then went through the install process again, while deleting the entire hard drive, clean install. This time it activated automattically. Basically, it does work just like Windows 7 Upgrade, except you have to enter the key to get it installed both times.

If you already did a 2nd install there is no need to refresh.

The refresh is what you do on an win 8 upgrade clean install instead of a double install.

Rexter
Libertas, Aequitas, Veritas
join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

Rexter

I understand. It's nice to know that feature is there. My point is doing a refresh takes only slightly less time, and a full reinstall is cleaner.

I'm having another problem though. Some time when Windows boots up, it brings me to a blue screen. Not a BSOD, just a blue screen with the mouse cursor on it, but no user log on options. You can move the mouse, but you can do nothing else, not even a CtR-Alt-Del does anything. I have the power button set to turn off, so I use that to try again. It boots properly about 1 out of 3 times. Any idea what that might be? It seems to have started when I installed the graphics driver, but that may just be a quinkidink. This is a Pavilion dv6000. HP doesn't officially support anything beyond Vista on this, and you have to get the nvidia Geforce Go 6150 drivers from hp.