join:2007-04-14
Canada

Eug to Guspaz

to Guspaz

SuperHD on one player and HD on another but with similar quality

said by stevey_frac:

House of Cards is Super HD.

said by Guspaz:

Most of the HD content on Netflix is in SuperHD at this point. Probably the vast majority at this point.

Hmmm... I just got a WD TV Live today, and the vast majority of titles are showing up as SuperHD.

OTOH, on my Sony BDP-S380 in the same location, nothing is showing up as SuperHD, just HD. However, video quality seems good nonetheless, with similar video quality (at least for the brief snippets I tried, on a couple of titles).

I wonder if the Sony is actually getting the appropriate SuperHD bitrates, but just doesn't have the app updated yet to indicate the titles are in fact SuperHD. I note that the Blu-ray player's latest firmware update is from last August. I suspect that at the next Blu-ray update (which could be weeks to months from now), it will get an updated Netflix app to show the SuperHD icon.

On a side note, I'm very pleased with this WD TV Live Streaming box (refurbished). It was $64 shipped from a US eBay seller, and I only ordered it at the end of last week.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

Re: SuperHD on one player and HD on another but with similar qua

It's doubtful Sony will upgrade your old player's firmware. They would prefer you buy a new player.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Eug

to Eug
said by Eug:

I'm very pleased with this WD TV Live Streaming box

The WD devices are decent for Netflix but that's about it. I have a WD TV Live Hub and I don't really use it. The firmware is so bad. I would have loved to use it instead of the Boxee Box as in theory in spec it should be better.