Built-in

Optical Drive
(read only)
BD 6xCAV
DVD 8xCAV
I/O
Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) AUX

Communication
Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)

AV output
HDMI
Analog-AV out
Digital Output (optical)
»gamingbolt.com/sony-releases-com···ications

Nice ram, gotta say that. CPU? Aren't jaguar meant to compete with atom and arm? Or is that another cat I'm thinking of? Still mobile chip in a console? wat? Not sure on the gpu, seems to be okay.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

It has already been talked about but it should not be a problem - it will allow Sony to make them cheaper and cooler. Modern CPUs haev more than enough power for what is needed.

Memory and GPU will make the most difference.

»Seriously? PS4 to use AMD cpu???
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

I know its been talked about, but this was from the official press release tonight. Still I am concerned an ULV cpu being used for games, eh theres optimization but that can only do so much. Maybe it wont be competing with high end pcs form today. Which saddens me, I like when hardware gets more power we get more impressive games then.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

The cpu is a joke. People laughed about Nintendos combo of power pc and power7 at 1.25 ghz and Sony goes with a chip that barely beats intel's atom and loses to it in a lot of tests too.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

Knowing human nature, I would rather see a slower standard architecture than a novel one.

It is a sign of the times. Games companies can not afford to spend time porting to non standard architecture.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to Metatron2008

And yet it will do fine...

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

In GPU bound games yes, since the gpu in it is slightly stronger than the 7850. For cpu bound? Yet to be seen. AI, physics, ect take a lot of cpu power. Take skyrim for example, it was very cpu bound, it used the havok and had above average reliance on AI that takes a lot of cpu. Sure threading can help but only so much, eventually the latency will rise because of it.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA

said by me1212:

In GPU bound games yes, since the gpu in it is slightly stronger than the 7850. For cpu bound? Yet to be seen. AI, physics, ect take a lot of cpu power. Take skyrim for example, it was very cpu bound, it used the havok and had above average reliance on AI that takes a lot of cpu. Sure threading can help but only so much, eventually the latency will rise because of it.

Has Skyrim had problems on the 360 and PS3?
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

said by danawhitaker:

said by me1212:

Skyrim (and all of Bethesda's games this generation) has the issue of an ever increasing save game size on the PS3, to the point that the file corrupts its self. Bethesda has not found a fix for it, which is why they are not releasing DLC for Skyrim on PS3.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

But no issues with performance....

quote:
Modern CPUs have more than enough processing power and since it is a console - which means same parts and a TON less overhead than a PC OS - it should work very well.

One thing Sony is NOT going to do - it put in a CPU that is underpowered.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

Then why did sony put in a chip that is marginally more powerful then the one they have in the ps vita?

DataRiker
Premium

Probably because it won't make any difference. Marginal gains with come to mind.

If you wanted serious hardware you would buy a PC.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

They could have put a sandy bridge $35 celeron in it, or heck they probably wouldn't pay even that much for it because they can buy in bulk, and get a processor that actually beats atom and arm.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

Won't make any difference?? When the ps3 launched in 2006, I had just built a core 2 duo e6400 machine with 4gigs of ram and a x1900xt 512. The only gpu better then that was a x1900 xtx, although there were several cpus better...

As far as the PS3, I'm not sure how it stood compared to the original core series, but the ps3 and 360 used x1800 and 7800 series gpus. You basically needed a top of the line pc like mine was to best them.

Now, the ps3 uses a 7970m, and the wii u uses what is as powerful as a desktop 4850 (Which in the end, makes them pretty close). And the cpu is any piece of crap you can get in any crap laptop that barely plays games from 2006!

This console generation is doomed to not last long.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

It would have at least given it a little something more to work with, sure not much but with consoles every bit helps. IIRC the 8800 came out not long after the ps3 and when paired with a e6600 could and can beat the consoles. Not that that means anything today just a fun tidbit .

I hope it doesn't last long, I personally like the old days where I;d get new console ever few years and be blown away by how much better they were than the old ones. However, if sony and ms just turn this in to a cash grab since the casuals wont care if about hardware and just buy new games because lol shinier than the old ones, this gen may last too long again I fear.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1
reply to me1212

»www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21526450

sleuth
Premium
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA

1 recommendation

reply to me1212

You guys may be concerned about the tech specs, which I would then be concerned about the ever inflated price. What would the price point have been, $800? Jeebus. The PS3 was ridiculously expensive enough back then.

Looking at the specs now, I'm hoping it's more around $400-$450. Who knows tho, still very premature.

DataRiker
Premium

Didn't you hear CPU power = game quality!

Being impressed by graphics has long worn thin on me.

I still have more fun playing my super Nintendo emulator at times.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state
reply to sleuth

$400-$450 would be a ripoff.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to DataRiker

said by DataRiker:

Didn't you hear CPU power = game quality!

Being impressed by graphics has long worn thin on me.

I still have more fun playing my super Nintendo at times.

To an extent, yes. For pretty graphics you need a good gpu, for more than that its usually cpu bound. A good physics engine(like source/havok) needs a good cpu to do multiple things at once. More living things on screen = more AI running at once needed = more cpu power needed. Just for a couple examples.

Don't get me wrong I live my old nintendo, and pokemon, but games today are focusing too much on graphics and not enough on everything else.

SRFireside

join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX
reply to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

You are asking for way too much. Top of the line CPU and hardware along with a price point cheaper than most PCs? I am thinking Sony's engineers know what they are doing and believe the hardware they are putting in now is going to make the PS4 compete with next generation gaming consoles. It would be stupid of them not to, as Microsoft will eat them for breakfast if they can't produce a gaming system far superior to the previous generation.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

said by SRFireside:

said by Metatron2008:

You are asking for way too much. Top of the line CPU and hardware along with a price point cheaper than most PCs? I am thinking Sony's engineers know what they are doing and believe the hardware they are putting in now is going to make the PS4 compete with next generation gaming consoles. It would be stupid of them not to, as Microsoft will eat them for breakfast if they can't produce a gaming system far superior to the previous generation.

Don't let anything that makes sense get into the thread...
--
Brian

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN
reply to me1212

How does a game company announce a new console..but doesn't even show the actual console?

RockCake
Premium
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA

I suspect they'd want something to show at E3.

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY
reply to ztmike

said by ztmike:

How does a game company announce a new console..but doesn't even show the actual console?

They said the design isn't finalized. They also said no B/C with PS3 and No lock out of used games.
--
Any it new they in one. You here for mine you here.
-JV

SRFireside

join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX

said by Silvanos:

They also said no B/C with PS3 and No lock out of used games.

Is that the final and official word about the used games? It's been a major sticking point these days.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

The cpu is a joke. People laughed about Nintendos combo of power pc and power7 at 1.25 ghz and Sony goes with a chip that barely beats intel's atom and loses to it in a lot of tests too.

haters got to hate. Can you at least wait until the thing comes out before dismissing it?

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

We know what to expect with that cpu. Its a chip made to compete with the intel atom, sure sure 8 cored blah blah, but only does so much. 8 weak cores are still 8 weak cores. Sure the gpu is mid rage but thats all thats midrage about it.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
reply to Goggalor

said by Goggalor:

said by danawhitaker:

said by me1212:

Skyrim (and all of Bethesda's games this generation) has the issue of an ever increasing save game size on the PS3, to the point that the file corrupts its self. Bethesda has not found a fix for it, which is why they are not releasing DLC for Skyrim on PS3.

That's funny, because I've been seeing DLC content releases for Skyrim - one just a few days ago. It does look like they've fixed it.

»www.gamespot.com/news/skyrim-dlc···-6403277
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by Metatron2008:

haters got to hate. Can you at least wait until the thing comes out before dismissing it?

LOL...oh the irony.

This coming from the guy that shit all over the WiiU constantly, before even being released.