uniqs
share rss forum feed

spock

join:2012-07-08
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

/29 question - tek west

Hi,

Can someone tell me if I order a /29, is that a whole /29 routed directly to my router with tek assigning me an ip for my wan connection from a different subnet or do they use one of the ip's from the /29 for the interface on their end.

And if the price is $10 for a /29 do I also get charged $5 for a static ip.

Thanks,

Spock

dvo

join:2002-01-23
Canada

1 recommendation

My understanding is you order a static IP and then they route subnets to that IP. So you'd end up with a static IP of xxx.xxx.2.55 and xxx.xxx.155.96/29. You're charged for both the static IP and subnet, so $14/mo.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:32

said by dvo:

My understanding is you order a static IP and then they route subnets to that IP. So you'd end up with a static IP of xxx.xxx.2.55 and xxx.xxx.155.96/29. You're charged for both the static IP and subnet, so $14/mo.

This statement ^^ would be correct!
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON
reply to spock

Yes... The entire subnet (all 6 IP addresses) are forwarded to the static IP for the PPPoE link. From there, one of those IP addresses must be assigned to the modem's LAN interface, while the rest of the IP addresses are left as being usable by other computers on the connection. It all funnels through the PPPoE link, but you must be sure to have disabled NAT in order to be able to utilize said subnet.

spock

join:2012-07-08
reply to dvo

Thanks guys,

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

If you need any help setting it up, feel free to let me know. I've done up two guides so far, both of which use only the modem and a switch to setup the subnet. One such guide is for the Thompson SpeedTouch 516, which is the standard Plain Jane DSL modem from the "oldschool DSL".

If these guides aren't enough, there's much more that I can do to help you out with getting your subnet setup.