spc
uniqs
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish to LFHC

to LFHC

Re: [Connectivity] Cable line cut

Not how I would have had it fixed... Would have called and requested a tech come out because your line was cut at the pole/tap.
JoeHemi
join:2011-05-06
united state

JoeHemi

I wouldn't have even done that. Just wait till the tech comes out to install your ordered services and let him figure it out. He'll find the problem, fix it, and BAM, problem solved.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by JoeHemi:

I wouldn't have even done that. Just wait till the tech comes out to install your ordered services and let him figure it out. He'll find the problem, fix it, and BAM, problem solved.

What part of "self install" was not clear? Comcast will not automatically sent an installer for a "self install".
LFHC
join:2012-11-04
Collinsville, VA

LFHC to ExoticFish

to ExoticFish
I tried to explain that on the phone but where I ordered a self install they said no one would come out at all so they changed it to a professional installation and charged me for that.What cable there is left is old RG6 I am hoping I can get the tech to replace it with a RG11 drop

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

RG6 should be fine, unless it is a exceptionally long drop.
You shouldn't expect either to be done for free.
Are you sure it was the last people that cut the line?
LFHC
Collinsville, VA

LFHC

I am assuming it was the last people. It was not me I had centurylink out today hooking up my internet with them and that line had to be replaced also. I would say the drop is about 150-200 feet to the outside of the house then I would say another 50-60 feet to where the line will go inside the house.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish to NetFixer

to NetFixer
Edit. Woopsy.
JoeHemi
join:2011-05-06
united state

JoeHemi to NetFixer

to NetFixer
I guess I should have said "fix your ordered services" instead of install. After you do the self install and its determined there's no signal from the tap, Comcast will send someone out to fix their problem.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to LFHC

Premium Member

to LFHC
said by LFHC:

I tried to explain that on the phone but where I ordered a self install they said no one would come out at all so they changed it to a professional installation and charged me for that.What cable there is left is old RG6 I am hoping I can get the tech to replace it with a RG11 drop

I am sorry, but the line from the pole to your home is their responsibility in any case and you should not be charged because their side of the connection is not there.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

And if all that's missing is the drop between the tap and the ground block he shouldn't have to pay. (provided it isn't freshly cut, what the tech sees could greatly influence this) but if he insists on heavier gauge cable and running past the ground block and so on the $29.99 is a very reasonable "rewire" cost. (as he described the distance the wire itself is probably more than that)

Cozmo85
@comcast.net

Cozmo85

Anon

Just tell them you are going to climb the pole yourself then and hook it up.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

And then they show up with a cop
Threatening illegal activity on a recorded line after identifying yourself and your location is a REALLY bad idea.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to Cozmo85

Premium Member

to Cozmo85
said by Cozmo85 :

This is bad advice....
LFHC
Collinsville, VA

LFHC to tshirt

to tshirt
Tech came today and put in RG6 all he had. but the signal is good so no problem there. When the tech got up on the pole I couldn't see it from my house but the drop cable had actually been cut from the tap and the house, the only cable left was just hanging on the utility pole infront of the house so he strung up new cable put the housing box on the side of the house and I was good to go.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor to EG

Premium Member

to EG
said by EG:

said by Cozmo85 :

This is bad advice....

I think he was joking

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium Member
join:2004-11-12

CableTool to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

said by LFHC:

I am sorry, but the line from the pole to your home is their responsibility in any case and you should not be charged because their side of the connection is not there.

It kind of defeats the lure of self install though doesnt it? Most MSOs are shying away from disconnecting services in lieu of mailing out boxes to new residents and having them install it themselves. Homes that do not meet this criteria, such as homes they had to be disconnected for excessive noise or drops that pose a hazard are flagged as "not self install ready" and the only option for those homes are to have a tech out.

If you chose to do a slef install and it fails there is a failed self install charge to roll the truck.

Bottom line- If you can do it all yourself, great. If they have to come out and facilitate for any reason, that install aint on the house.
Simple Profits and loss. Welcome to America.