share rss forum feed

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to bobjohnson

Re: Garbage HOA

Why the hell do people live in a HOA? I have never a person happy with a HOA.
--
Professional student pilot!

Jtmo
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

said by Bruschi:

20% of the US lives in an HOA.
Most are happy, no one is happy when they are the ones violating the rules and regualtions.
Not for everyone, but every single person living in an HOA CHOSE to live there when they bought it and signed the papers.

Some common reasons:
No cars on blocks in the neighbros yard.
No lime green houses.
Shared common areas and street landscaping.
Common insurance (lower cost in bulk).
Less maintenance by the homeowner, which is why Florida is so high; the owners are older and don't want to work on the house.
Basic architectural standards to keep the community nice.

If you disagree with a rule, fight for it's change. You and the neighbors are the association, but it is a majority rules democracy.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to John97

said by John97:

In some areas, that is nearly impossible. I have always been part of the anti-HOA crowd. But, when facilitating my move to FL I found it was a reality I'd have to learn to accept.

People like the HOA scene until it prevents them from doing what they want that is against the rules.

You really couldn't find any house in your hometown that wasn't in an HOA?

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Bruschi

Here in Houston there are no Zoning laws so if you don't get in with an HOA someone can open a junk yard next door.

I have lived in this hood for almost 13 years and in that time the neighborhood has not changed due to Deed Restrictions.

I lived down the road from here in the '70's and it hasn't changed since then.
Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to Msradell

said by Msradell:

It seems like a copy of the HOA document you have don't have any reference to this restriction, is that true? If so, did you ever receive notice of a meeting to change this part of your restrictions? Did you ever receive and amended copy of the restrictions? It sounds like the board may be trying to pull something over on the owners. You should probably consult a lawyer.

It also doesn't sound like your shutters are actually "put up" because they are retracted. "Putting them up" would mean putting them into the operational position IMHO.

I've been in Greenville, SC for business for the past couple months and she emailed me the letter up here. I had nothing to do with the decision. The letter seems to state that my roll up setup is included even when they're up but my OP was sort of a beer fueled rant more than actual fact as to what they've done here.
--

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to bobjohnson

As a city dweller I have no experience with an HOA nor do I ever desire to.

However I do feel your pain, and as such I took great delight in reading a story in last week's WaPo about a couple who took on the HOA regarding a petty dispute over a campaign sign.. and ended up bankrupting the HOA.

»www.washingtonpost.com/local/fai···ory.html

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to bobjohnson

The way I read the letter you posted it says that they can't stay closed covering the windows and doors. Granted the wording is vague but that could be to your benefit.

[edit] I have worked on very expensive houses in this area which had them. They were not for storm protection. They used them to block the afternoon sun on massive amounts of glass (houses with lake views). In othe words, that type of shutter does more than provide storm protection. Perhaps another angle.

bobjohnson
Premium
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..

1 recommendation

reply to Bruschi

said by Bruschi:

Wives are why myself and other people are in a HOA. I would have been fine in an apartment

bobjohnson
Premium
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to djrobx

said by djrobx:

I spent a decent amount of money putting hurricane shutters on my house and they are non-removable other than unbolting them from the outer walls.

You should have gotten approval from your HOA's architectural group before making a permanent change to the exterior. Then you wouldn't have a problem even if they made "ammendments", because you would have had written approval. That would have given the HOA an opportunity to address aesthetic concerns.

I did have to get approval before they were installed and it was ok until this came up. I need to talk to them and see if I'm grandfathered in since I have a "Modification Compliance" approval signed from 09 by the then president of our association.
--

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to bobjohnson

May be cold up here but at least this HOA BS is rare. In fact I have never encountered one in Ontario other than some anal condo Boards. Guess I'll have to look into this garbage before I take over my parents place in Davenport FL.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to bobjohnson

said by bobjohnson:

I did have to get approval before they were installed and it was ok until this came up. I need to talk to them and see if I'm grandfathered in since I have a "Modification Compliance" approval signed from 09 by the then president of our association.

So the shutters have been up for 3 years? Sounds like you should be OK.

Or maybe they were rolled down when they shouldn't have been and someone noticed??

jbgroup1
Non Conformist
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Dayton, MD
reply to pike

Sometimes cities are the über HOA. Rules are made as laws and serious fines will be assessed.

tmh

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to guppy_fish

said by guppy_fish:

Its a thankless job...

If your unhappy with something, go to a meeting an discuss your concerns, if you still not happy, you may consider running for office,and then YOU get to make rules and changes, or at least suggest them so the HOA member can vote them in or out.

So it's not a thankless job. It's a self-serving one, where the winners get to sit on a board and get to define things they way they like.

HOAs are the greatest scam since Bernie Madoff. The county gets a free pass on services the homeowner already pays for through taxes, then distracts their attention by letting them play King of the Hill among themselves.

I'll never buy a house with an HOA. When the road at the end of my driveway gets snow, the county clears it. When I bring the garbage out, the county clears it. When there's a pothole, the county fixes it. All things I already paid for. Why should I have to pay for them again. *and* hear nonsense from the HOA about what color garbage cans I can use?

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to morbo

said by morbo:

You really couldn't find any house in your hometown that wasn't in an HOA?

I looked all over a 3-county area as I was relocating for a job. I had particular needs, i.e. a house big enough for my family and with the amenities we wanted.

I looked at nearly 40 houses, about 5 were HOA-free. Unfortunately, none of them worked for me. I am quite happy here. There is nothing in the code that would infringe on anything I can envision doing here.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

disconnected

@snet.net
reply to Beezel

The op should consider moving to a town/country that allows you to buy and own the property, rather than rent it from the HOA/town/county. There are advantages to living out in the boonies.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

said by disconnected :

The op should consider moving to a town/country that allows you to buy and own the property, rather than rent it from the HOA/town/county. There are advantages to living out in the boonies.

Of course, there is the major disadvantage of the $'s required for gasoline was he constantly raising prices!

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD
reply to disconnected

For clarity, property under HOA control is usually owned by the homeowner. The property owner is bound by the covenants of the HOA, however, much in the same way that rural property owners are bound by the land use laws of their applicable county/state.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

1 recommendation

reply to bobjohnson

If your hurricane shutters were installed three years ago the HOA has already received constructive notice and cannot now require you to remove them. There have been so much bullying by HOA's that the State of Florida has set up rules and regulations to handle these issues. You have the right to file a complaint. See this section at MyFlorida.com:

»www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/ls···ers.html

This is the contact number for the division:

Telephone Inquiries Regarding All Program Areas
Customer Contact Center 850.488.1122

Years ago the division only covered Condominiums but Section 720 was added to cover HOA's.

Jtmo
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA
reply to pike

said by pike:

As a city dweller I have no experience with an HOA nor do I ever desire to.

However I do feel your pain, and as such I took great delight in reading a story in last week's WaPo about a couple who took on the HOA regarding a petty dispute over a campaign sign.. and ended up bankrupting the HOA.

»www.washingtonpost.com/local/fai···ory.html

Now THAT IS a classic case of an HOA board that never had a clue. Since the dues were $650 a year, it was more of an architectural committee than anything else. (Dues are now $3250 thanks to the asshole government laywer who sued, but his points were correct which is why he won)

This is the reason California and many other states have laws regulating HOA's, that HOA never read their state laws or their own CC&R's. You cannot just say we are going to fine you $900 for minor offenses, only a government entity can be that obscene.
Most every HOA has a private hearing to discuss the issue, rarely are fines assessed. That HOA board (Dummies) should have consulted a professional management company and an HOA lawyer.

Again, they are idiots in that HOA but HOA's exist as the people bought into them to have rules. And the idiot that sued maybe right, but his property value now dropped since they lost the neighborhood park and his dues went way up.

gozer
Premium
join:2010-08-09
Rochester, NY
reply to bobjohnson

Maybe the HOA would be ok with this.

»floridahurricanedepot.com/clear_···nels.htm

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to disconnected

said by disconnected :

Only native americans don't rent property from the county. Even in the boonies you still pay rent.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to gozer

I'm sure it's extremely expensive, as least compared to plywood.

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
reply to gozer

said by gozer:

Maybe the HOA would be ok with this.

»floridahurricanedepot.com/clear_···nels.htm

I doubt it, but those panels are very inneresting indeed. Look just like Suntuf polycarb roofing panels, though obviously they have their own mounting methods. Gives me some ideas though for wind-proofing a couple windows on my house:

Suntuf polycarb at HD

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX

That's what I was thinking. I just used the Suntuf panels on a plant room roof this summer and I was very impressed with the material and it's ability to keep heat out.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK
reply to disconnected

said by disconnected :

According to the government nobody owns anything. You are going to pay something annual or lose your home. I know a few people through the years wouldn't pay their taxes in the boonies and lost their home.
Everyone needs a place to live.
Best to just get a cheap trailer home.

And in the boonies there is very little or no Internet. Many people I work with are dealing with this now after purchasing/building there homes many years ago.
My realtor neighbor tells me in some areas internet access is right up there with kitchens and baths when people look for a home.
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK
reply to Bruschi

said by Bruschi:

Currently living in a condo for over 15yrs with no problems. I like that its 10-12ft walled gated with security. We have about 250 units here. Italian stucco/cedar 1500 to 2600 sqft. two story,splits,and flats. Over twenty floor plans. Two car garages. Two heated pools/clubhouse,tennis courts,gym,library,professional manager,etc. parking for those rock star motor homes that show up every Spring.
Don't mind the monthly dues. Already had new roofing on all units and currently all homes the outer cedar panels are being replaced with textured hardy board and replace insulation,repairs,etc. which will take almost 5 years to complete. All work documented and on record.
Substantial cash reserves,attorneys,strict rules and bylaws. One third of the committee are retired attorneys and one retired judge.
Hate cutting grass. I like my weekend to travel or do anything I want at home.
I have a home in Switzerland so I am spending more time there and more when I retire.
Have an apartment in Rome and rental in Florida.
I can just shut this place down and be gone for months or years.
Going to have some of my stock dividends pay my monthly condo dues automatically when I retire.
The best thing is this place is paid off along with everything else. I own the smallest unit.
It's worth four times more than I paid and there's actually a waiting list.
Neighbors are pretty happy. For some its not their only home. They have book club,gardening club,water aerobics,etc. here.
We get together for group rate for large appliances like heating and AC. Cost me $5400 for two furnaces and ACs including installation.

Not for everyone but works for me.
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

tmh

@verizon.net

said by Majestik:

I have a home in Switzerland so I am spending more time there and more when I retire.
Have an apartment in Rome and rental in Florida.
I can just shut this place down and be gone for months or years.
Going to have some of my stock dividends pay my monthly condo dues automatically when I retire.

And they say money can't buy happiness

laserfan

Texas
reply to robbin

said by robbin:

I just used the Suntuf panels on a plant room roof this summer and I was very impressed with the material and it's ability to keep heat out.

We have a greenhouse whose panels were destroyed by the TX sun (what ISN'T destroyed by the TX sun???)--I think I will buy some Suntuf panels for that, and then hold them-up against one of our NW-facing windows to see what they might be like for use as a permanent windscreen.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX

I bought the solar gray color. It is amazing how cool it is. Although plenty of light gets in, it feels more like being under the shade of a big oak tree than under an almost clear roof with the sun shining through.

laserfan

Texas

Thanks for telling! Solar gray it is!