share rss forum feed

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to disconnected

Re: Garbage HOA

said by disconnected :

The op should consider moving to a town/country that allows you to buy and own the property, rather than rent it from the HOA/town/county. There are advantages to living out in the boonies.

Only native americans don't rent property from the county. Even in the boonies you still pay rent.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to gozer

I'm sure it's extremely expensive, as least compared to plywood.

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
reply to gozer

said by gozer:

Maybe the HOA would be ok with this.

»floridahurricanedepot.com/clear_···nels.htm

I doubt it, but those panels are very inneresting indeed. Look just like Suntuf polycarb roofing panels, though obviously they have their own mounting methods. Gives me some ideas though for wind-proofing a couple windows on my house:

Suntuf polycarb at HD

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

That's what I was thinking. I just used the Suntuf panels on a plant room roof this summer and I was very impressed with the material and it's ability to keep heat out.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK
reply to disconnected

said by disconnected :

The op should consider moving to a town/country that allows you to buy and own the property, rather than rent it from the HOA/town/county. There are advantages to living out in the boonies.

According to the government nobody owns anything. You are going to pay something annual or lose your home. I know a few people through the years wouldn't pay their taxes in the boonies and lost their home.
Everyone needs a place to live.
Best to just get a cheap trailer home.

And in the boonies there is very little or no Internet. Many people I work with are dealing with this now after purchasing/building there homes many years ago.
My realtor neighbor tells me in some areas internet access is right up there with kitchens and baths when people look for a home.
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK
reply to Bruschi

said by Bruschi:

Why the hell do people live in a HOA? I have never a person happy with a HOA.

Currently living in a condo for over 15yrs with no problems. I like that its 10-12ft walled gated with security. We have about 250 units here. Italian stucco/cedar 1500 to 2600 sqft. two story,splits,and flats. Over twenty floor plans. Two car garages. Two heated pools/clubhouse,tennis courts,gym,library,professional manager,etc. parking for those rock star motor homes that show up every Spring.
Don't mind the monthly dues. Already had new roofing on all units and currently all homes the outer cedar panels are being replaced with textured hardy board and replace insulation,repairs,etc. which will take almost 5 years to complete. All work documented and on record.
Substantial cash reserves,attorneys,strict rules and bylaws. One third of the committee are retired attorneys and one retired judge.
Hate cutting grass. I like my weekend to travel or do anything I want at home.
I have a home in Switzerland so I am spending more time there and more when I retire.
Have an apartment in Rome and rental in Florida.
I can just shut this place down and be gone for months or years.
Going to have some of my stock dividends pay my monthly condo dues automatically when I retire.
The best thing is this place is paid off along with everything else. I own the smallest unit.
It's worth four times more than I paid and there's actually a waiting list.
Neighbors are pretty happy. For some its not their only home. They have book club,gardening club,water aerobics,etc. here.
We get together for group rate for large appliances like heating and AC. Cost me $5400 for two furnaces and ACs including installation.

Not for everyone but works for me.
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

tmh

@verizon.net

said by Majestik:

I have a home in Switzerland so I am spending more time there and more when I retire.
Have an apartment in Rome and rental in Florida.
I can just shut this place down and be gone for months or years.
Going to have some of my stock dividends pay my monthly condo dues automatically when I retire.

And they say money can't buy happiness

laserfan

Texas
reply to robbin

said by robbin:

I just used the Suntuf panels on a plant room roof this summer and I was very impressed with the material and it's ability to keep heat out.

We have a greenhouse whose panels were destroyed by the TX sun (what ISN'T destroyed by the TX sun???)--I think I will buy some Suntuf panels for that, and then hold them-up against one of our NW-facing windows to see what they might be like for use as a permanent windscreen.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

I bought the solar gray color. It is amazing how cool it is. Although plenty of light gets in, it feels more like being under the shade of a big oak tree than under an almost clear roof with the sun shining through.

laserfan

Texas

Thanks for telling! Solar gray it is!

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to gozer

said by gozer:

If you told them about it, no. But the grumpy old men might not be able to see them!!
--
PRescott7-2097

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..

said by joako:

said by gozer:

If you told them about it, no. But the grumpy old men might not be able to see them!!

Haha . Anyways it took me almost a week to put the pieces together on this. I called and emailed everyone I could, freaking out about this and the best answer I received was from the VP of the HOA. He said the reason for this was the snowbirds leaving their shutters on for the 6 months while they're up north or wherever, so since we're permanent residents just don't put ours down unless something is going down and to use the original modification permit if needed. He also stated that it was badly worded and that they should modify it.
--

Jtmo
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA
reply to bobjohnson

Glad it worked out, often just talking resolves it. Make sure you file. The variance paper work at the county recorders office.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Jtmo

said by Jtmo:

This is the reason California and many other states have laws regulating HOA's, that HOA never read their state laws or their own CC&R's. You cannot just say we are going to fine you $900 for minor offenses, only a government entity can be that obscene.

In an ideal world, you would be right. However there are cases were minor infractions that went unpaid turned into liens that turned into foreclosed homes. While it wasn't a minor infraction, a originally $800 in unpaid dues bill resulted in the $315k house being foreclosed and sold for $3201 while the husband was serving in Iraq.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to bobjohnson

Good to hear. I would have been ready to fight after following the rules to get it approved, spending the money, then having them tell me I had to take them down.

If they had pushed the issue I think you could probably have won a case against them.

join:2013-03-04
North Reading, MA
reply to cdru

said by cdru:

said by Jtmo:

This is the reason California and many other states have laws regulating HOA's, that HOA never read their state laws or their own CC&R's. You cannot just say we are going to fine you $900 for minor offenses, only a government entity can be that obscene.

In an ideal world, you would be right. However there are cases were minor infractions that went unpaid turned into liens that turned into foreclosed homes. While it wasn't a minor infraction, a originally $800 in unpaid dues bill resulted in the $315k house being foreclosed and sold for $3201 while the husband was serving in Iraq.

Except the owner got the house back because it was a wrongful foreclosure. He owed the $300,000 house outright so there's no law on the planet that will allow anyone to take $300,000 from you over $800. They could sell the house for $300,000 and keep $800 so you end up with $299,200 but never zero. The case inspired people in Texas to curb HoA powers which is still happening to this day.
--
"Everyone has his day and some days last longer than others." - Winston Churchill