Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

Oh come on, really!

Did some on call work for a new client today and will again soon. Apparently they have been getting ripped of and one of their requirements now is to have a gps enabled phone for check in and out. Now I have no intention to defraud but I am really curious. I find it hard to believe that they can access that kind of information from a phone call especially if the gps does not initiate. Maybe they believe the ones that would report falsely are dumb enough to believe it (surprisingly a computer/network tech. support employer) . You tell me, am I the naive one?
--
Iphone. Helping computer illiteracy become popular since 2007

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

The GPS, and cell tower location may be enabled on those devices perhaps? You know, user is on Google maps, etc. and is dumb enough?

It's plausible.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

reply to PeeWee

Don't tell them about gps spoofing (grin).

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Shh!

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to dib22

said by dib22:

Don't tell them about gps spoofing (grin).

this
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA
reply to Juggernaut

I guess what I'm really asking is this. To my knowledge without putting an app of some sort on you phone I believe this is impossible. Is that not true?
--

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

said by PeeWee:

I guess what I'm really asking is this. To my knowledge without putting an app of some sort on you phone I believe this is impossible. Is that not true?

the question is, is there an app that can do this?
--

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA

There are parental oversight apps that claim they can, but not over a phone call. So I guess I am not mistaken when I call BS. Thank you.
--

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

Well technically the browser can report your location. (if you allow it)

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA

said by AVD:

Well technically the browser can report your location. (if you allow it)

True. Still not precise enough to prove on site location.
--

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW

1 recommendation

I somewhat disagree.
There are three providers that use E911 Phase II data. Those three providers are AT&T Mobility, Sprint, and T-Mobile. Unless you are in a basement or in middle of a mid to large sized building (hospital/office building), the area of uncertainty is small. The smallest area of uncertainty is being outside. The phone's location can be narrowed down to just a few yards.
Now with cell site activations with regards to calls or texts placed or received to the phone, it is only enough to locate which one of the three sides of the cell tower the transmission started and, if different, ended on (such as being on a call while driving down a highway through multiple cell towers).
--
"The level of sacrifice that you give is beyond my comprehension. If the rest of us in the Country showed the level sacrifice that you do on a daily basis, we wouldn't have any of the problems we have." – Comedian Lewis Black speaking to the US troops.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

It has nothing to do with E911. Handsets reports back to google wi-fi, celltower and GPS data. This is all correlated so that if your device has one of these sensors off it can still locate you.

The browser location services will use wi-fi data to triangulate location. My wifi only HP Touchpad will show my location on google maps and other geo-aware web sites. Based on google maps, I can tell what quadrant of the house I am in.

--

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD

But...can OTHER devices somehow access that information without a specific App on the target mobile device reporting it? I kinda hope not...seems very privacy-compromising. If a company really wanted to enforce such a policy, I'd think they'd require contractors/employees to install a specific App that reports to some webservice the employer would access...
--
Don't Lie - Be Kind - Realize your Potential

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by KoolMoe:

But...can OTHER devices somehow access that information without a specific App on the target mobile device reporting it?

Yes, based on the phone. On many phones "Location" is a setting that can be switched off, on others there may be a choice between "on", and E911 only (the owner has to make a 911 call).

This has been used to locate lost campers as well as those who drove off the road and were incapable of calling out.
--
Deeds, not words

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW

The caller doesn't have to make a 911 call. The provider can 'ping' the phone and get either GPS, triangulate the cell sites, or use a mathematical algorithm to estimate the distance from the tower.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to KoolMoe

said by KoolMoe:

But...can OTHER devices somehow access that information without a specific App on the target mobile device reporting it? I kinda hope not...seems very privacy-compromising. If a company really wanted to enforce such a policy, I'd think they'd require contractors/employees to install a specific App that reports to some webservice the employer would access...

all they need is a time tracking website with geolocation.
--

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to Harddrive

said by Harddrive:

The caller doesn't have to make a 911 call. The provider can 'ping' the phone and get either GPS, triangulate the cell sites, or use a mathematical algorithm to estimate the distance from the tower.

yes, but the provider won't release this information to an employer, especially if the phone is owned by the user, without all sorts f rigamarole, and definitely not for timekeeping applications.
--

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to PeeWee

said by PeeWee:

... one of their requirements now is to have a gps enabled phone for check in and out.

how do you check in and out? By calling or using an on line application?
--

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA

said by AVD:

said by PeeWee:

... one of their requirements now is to have a gps enabled phone for check in and out.

how do you check in and out? By calling or using an on line application?

Phone call, that is why I call BS.
--

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

said by PeeWee:

Maybe it is some competence test? If you believe it you fail?

Seriously though could they have cameras at the places? Perhaps they check the security feed when you call in to visually verify?

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA

said by dib22:

said by PeeWee:

Maybe it is some competence test? If you believe it you fail?

Seriously though could they have cameras at the places? Perhaps they check the security feed when you call in to visually verify?

Wording in contract is contractor must have smart phone with gps enabled to call in for check in and out in order to allow us to verify your location.
Like I said BS. I guess they believe anyone stupid enough to lie would also be stupid enough to believe it.
Or maybe it is a competency test.??
--