join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Crysis 3 is the new Crysis 1

SemiAccurate article covering the graphics of the new game:
said by SemiAccurate :

Comparing Crysis to Crysis

This one's a whole lot prettier than the last...

The original Crysis is a game that has stood the test of time. Even six years later the game is still a monument to what the PC platform is capable of when an enterprising developer is willing to pull out all the stops to create the highest quality graphics possible. Admittedly, the game did have flaws like a predictable story and character archetypes that felt like they were drawn from a war movie check-list. But the gun play was tight, the graphics were awesome, and due to its large levels you weren’t constantly being forced through a shooting gallery. The original Crysis was the poster child of PC gaming when it launched.

---

This brings us to Crysis 3; a game that offers clearly superior graphics to the original Crysis on day one. This time around Crytek seems to understand that they have a duty to their customers to offer a complete experience. Now I’m not going to spoil the story for you, but I will say that Crytek has put together at the very least a passable narrative with Crysis 3.

What I do want to focus on is graphical quality. Is Crysis 3 the new high water mark for visual fidelity in videogames? Yep, without a doubt. Far Cry 3 and Assassin’s Creed 3 are both good looking games, but they can’t match the level of detail that Crysis 3 offers. Now there is an argument to be made that Battlefield 3 is better looking, but from my own impressions of both games I’m willing to give Crysis 3 the edge.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

1 recommendation

Goggalor

Premium Member

The real question is whether Crytek learned from the first one and learned to scale their product? Personally, I would rather have a game that is not quite as pretty looking, but scales to allow more people to enjoy the game.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

You cannot scale down a Crysis! It's like asking Dostoevsky to scale down so more people could read Crime and Punishment or the Brothers Karamazov. Just doesn't work that way.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

said by ekster:

You cannot scale down a Crysis! It's like asking Dostoevsky to scale down so more people could read Crime and Punishment or the Brothers Karamazov. Just doesn't work that way.

Blasphemer! It can always be scaled down! Cliff Notes > you!

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

Cliff notes are like joysticks for FPS games.

facepalm
join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX

facepalm

lol

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
I was reading a few reviews of this game, and people are saying it's the best looking PC game they've played to date.

And it's not just the graphics that people are raving about either. Story line and musical score are getting positive notes also.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to Goggalor

to Goggalor
A lot of people asked for crysis 3 to be as demanding all around as crysis 1, if they really did that it may not scale well.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Being extremely demanding with all the whiz bang DX11 features turned on has nothing to do with how well it plays under low quality settings...

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Goggalor

Premium Member

to Goggalor
said by Goggalor:

The real question is whether Crytek learned from the first one and learned to scale their product? Personally, I would rather have a game that is not quite as pretty looking, but scales to allow more people to enjoy the game.

Yea, I agree with that. Every time I upgrade my system, I check to see how well it can handle Crysis and it doesn't automatically scale for the smoothest experience.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

said by Goggalor:

Yea, I agree with that. Every time I upgrade my system, I check to see how well it can handle Crysis and it doesn't automatically scale for the smoothest experience.

What the hell are you guys upgrading to that still cannot run the original Crysis?

I don't have a top of the line PC by any means, and my system absolutely destroys that game on ultra settings.

If you're talking about Crysis 2 on the other hand, with DX11 and Tessalation enabled, then yeah that's a different story.

pjhofmann
join:2000-08-22
Argyle, TX

pjhofmann to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
I like the Crysis series but as it's Origin only and my Steam backlog is huge I don't see getting this one.

puppy
join:2010-01-28
San Diego, CA

puppy to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Will I need a multi-dimension quantum computer to play this... :P

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

What the hell are you guys upgrading to that still cannot run the original Crysis?

I've had a 12 core system (dual processor) and 32 GB of RAM since 2009 and $250 video cards and I've always had to tune the system to get it to run smoothly. If I had a $500 video card, I'd probably be fine.

I currently have an ATI Radeon 7970 w/3GB of RAM, the issue is that I currently have a 2560 x 1600 display as my primary monitor, so every time I upgrade my video card... I seem to upgrade my resolution.

Crysis 1 plays decently with appropriate tweaking but I still have yet to own a system that will play it at that resolution with everything cranked.

mazhurg
Premium Member
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON

mazhurg to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Finally got the 7950's installed. All I got to say is that at 5760*1080 (eyefinity) it is a large improvement over the pair of 6950's that I had, eye candy galore, smooth and responsive.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Yeah the game is gorgeous. Cannot wait for SC. I was able to run 2xMSAA, 16xAF, Very High at 2560x1600 with 60ish FPS average, which is fine for me.

It's fucking short, though. Way shorter than the first.

Story was good
Narrative was excellent
Bosses are boring
Gameplay is interesting
Music was very good
Graphics are superb

So overall it was a very positive experience.
The Antihero
join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA

The Antihero to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Apparently the company has jumped on the "Don't let people save their game when they want to" bandwagon. I'm passing on this one.
90115534 (banned)
Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned) to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Pass.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to The Antihero

Premium Member

to The Antihero
said by The Antihero:

Apparently the company has jumped on the "Don't let people save their game when they want to" bandwagon. I'm passing on this one.

It doesn't, but the checkpoints are often enough not to notice.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Well, I beat it. For being a movie type game, Crytek really did a good job with this one. Story was good, QTE sequences were really kept to a minimum (only had them on a couple boss fights, other than that there were none), and graphics were really top notch.

This series is to me what Halo is to many console players--super-powerful protagonist kicks the alien ass all the way back to their home planet.

The ending was awesome too, seeing the suit constantly evolving to something unheard of... much like the Mass Effect symbiosis ending .

It took me 14 hours to beat. Not bad for a game I got free. Makes me want to go back and replay the first Crysis!