Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

1 recommendation

Mech Warrior Online

»/r0/download/2···ech1.PNG

The old topic, »Mechwarrior Online Thread , is too old to reply to, so I figured I'd resurrect it here.

A number of us (Archivis, Jobbie, Enegystream, hopefully Antonica one of these days) have picked this up as a WoW filler (I refuse to go back to LoL), and it's fantastic.

Hawken is great for drop in/drop out action, but lacks the depth and complexity that MWO has.

Anyone else playing? What are your favorite builds?

I recently picked up an Atlas DDC, playing with 2x UAC-5's and 3x SRM4+Artemis and it's a deadly brawler. Just need to figure out how to squish an ECM into the build.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
Is it actually out of beta yet?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Not sure if it is officially un-beta'd, but anyone can play.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
I might need to check this out then. A friend of mine has been gnawing at the bit to try this game ever since it was announced, so looks like I need to inform him.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Krisnatharok
Been getting some matches in when I can. It's nice that they're only 7-15 minutes long as I can drop whenever for RL circumstances.

I've been playing an Awesome LRM Boat and a Hunchback Medium Laser Boat.

I put out 1200+ damage the one match with the LRM Boat. When in wide areas and if left unchecked, the LRM boat can put out the most ridiculous damage at long range with the least amount of skill. I don't even try to fight if they get in close range though. I'm fucked if people close in on me, so I try to stay near friendlies that can rescue me.

The medium laser boat has 8 medium lasers on it. After I slapped in a high-end engine into it and kicked its speed up into the 80's, I've been doing much better. I'm faster than all of the medium mechs and can keep up with most of the light mechs.

Krisnatharok was using the Atlas DDC, which was going to be my next purchase, but I think I want one of those fast mechs. I'm saving up for a Raven 3 and I'll probably drop the fastest XL engine I can. Top speeds in the 140's or 150's should be very nice.

I think everyone should have an LRM Boat and we should set up perimeter missile madness. 4X LRM boats would just shut down an entire team if everyone was spread out at least 200m from each other.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Hypnotics

join:2009-08-19
Bryan, TX
reply to Krisnatharok
Sounds fun. I am gonna grab this tonight.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
Has a F2P model similar to LoL.

The WeaseL
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota
reply to Krisnatharok
How did I not see this earlier...Must try tonight.

Lothario

join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON
reply to Krisnatharok
Might give it a try, 40 minutes queus are getting to me.

Energystream
Premium
join:2010-04-16
Ridgewood, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to The WeaseL
I have been enjoying it, I still haven't figured out what role I play best in. I am leaning towards sniper with gauss, but I will definately have to get an LRM boat using the catapault frame (mostly because I want to have interchangeable engines and components with my catapault sniper).

At some point an Atlas DDC would be nice.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
I think your cat can only equip 2x LRM20's. While it's going to have a 40 missile alpha, the Awesome has 4X LRM15s allowing for 60 missiles to fire off at once.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
After hating it in the initial stages on the closed beta, I have to say that they have changed a lot of stuff in the process. The grind is not bad at all and you can get at least 2 mechs with the buff you get for being a newbie, the mechs you buy are fully equiped but you must adjust them to your own needs.

Currently I am running a medlaser, short range missile Hunchback and a PPC, large laser Awesome (i messed up my buy, should have gone with the missle one) and having a blast, every game is around 6-10 minutes and you get an instant queue almost everytime.

Add "Jobbie" in game to get some games in.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
My next purchase will be a Catapult missile boat. After seeing Arch barraging people with 60 missiles at a time and being the recipient from other players with similar builds I need to try it.
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Goggalor
said by Goggalor:

Is it actually out of beta yet?

It is in open beta still, but no more mech/level wipes will happen so the stuff you buy is safe.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Jobbie
Just get the Awesome 8R. That's why it's painful. 60 missiles, not 40, and almost no heat issues. I start to peak out after about 7-8 non-stop volleys. Then I just slow it down a hair and I'm fine.
--

puppy

join:2010-01-28
reply to Krisnatharok
Reading this makes me itching for the Pacific Rim movie! Go mech!

If you haven't see the trailer for it, go youtube it. Cheezy fun!

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Rim_(film)

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Archivis
Yeah i went for the 8Q "laser boat" one which needs tweaking, I tried a 5 PPC build on it, when an alpha strike hit it was glorious but your would go to 70% heat instantly. sadly I never lived enough to enjoy it properly.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
You have to remember that each mech and each variant has a certain amount of hard points available.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
Yeah I know that is why I hated picking up the "laser boat" version of the Awesome.
The "missile boat" version of the catapult has 6 missile hard points, your 8R has only 4?
--

Energystream
Premium
Ridgewood, NY
Arch,

Maybe missle boat awesome then as well. I wouldn't have to modify it too much. Do you remember the cost?

Did you use all the slots for ammo, or did you add some heat sinks to it?

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Jobbie
There's nothing wrong with having multiple Awesomes. In fact, you're going to want them. There is Mech XP that you gain per variant. You unlock additional tiers by having those lower tiers maxed out on 3 of the same type of Mechs. Long-term, you're looking at maxing out three different Awesomes to unlock some pretty serious talents in higher tiers.

I plan on doing this with the Ravens next.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Energystream
I didn't have to spend too much. I actually wasted a ton of money on buying various loadouts and testing. I think if you went with my build, all you'd have to do is buy the double heat sink upgrade, two more LRMs and a bunch of LRM ammo to strap all over yourself.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
For example, I tested out Artemis. It was such a waste. It weighs more and it took up way too much of my ammo space. I ended up going out of ammo in several matches. Because of that, I would conserve more and miss on more opportunities.

With my current LRM Boat, I sit on 1980 LRM ammo. That's a fuck ton of ammo and if I run out, it was a fantastic game. I fire the instant I get a lock on anything. Do I miss? All the time, but there are so many times where I fire on a lock, lose lock a few seconds in and then re-establish a lock and my missiles zone right in on people.

I dumped a medium laser for a tag laser. It has made it much easier to 1v1 long-range volleys against opponents who you could see, but not lock on. When I'm in close range, I assume I'm dead. I keep one medium laser just to pretend to do damage and scare some people off. It doesn't always work. It's safer to be relatively close to some friendlies that you can pull a light mech into.

I've also stripped armor off of other parts of my body and invested heavily into my backside. That's where I'm getting hit the most, from light mechs who sneak up from behind. That armor boost means I can take a good 45-60 seconds of pain, which is enough time to run them into my team and get stomped.
--

Energystream
Premium
Ridgewood, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
Played a couple of games last night because I couldn't sleep. Managed to get a few games in where I got 500-750 damage. I noticed that the games where I got that much, I was in a pack most of the time.

In addition to taking down an enemy quick, I noticed people were bad (at least last night) at focusing on one target if there are many. They just fire at whatever is in front of them. It helped to give me some time to move around to get out of LOS and fire at the enemies backs. Downside? having to direct lasers to the ground or sky so I don't melt my own team.

The high damage games I was also sniping early on with the Gauss cannon. Think getting better at targeting long distance without lock, just using the heat sig (when not a hot world).
I also tried to evade more using the terrain, either hills, tunnels, whatever so I didn't have more than 1 mech in my face.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
500-700 damage games are fantastic. The approach of dodging damage and sniping in shots when you can is the big mentality of a light mech.

It becomes more of a chess game than a giant brawl. I've seen it with us now where we're playing caustic valley and someone over-commits an exploration on a catapult and the whole team zones in on that one guy and makes him pay for it.

When you get your mech to a point where you're no longer throwing money at it to tinker with, it becomes a great thing. My LRM boat hasn't been modified in a while. My medium laser HBK was about to get shelved until I threw in a high speed engine in there. It's been a drastic improvement since then.

The next step is a light mech, a Raven. I'm going to get that ironed out, but the 3L is so damn expensive. The XL engine upgrade is 4mill cbills alone. Then I have to slap some SRMs and probably another medium laser on it. Hopefully, it'll be in good shape by then.

The real $$ sink comes when you start maxing the talents out in the mechs and you have to start leveling up other variants of the same type so you can max those out.

When you get XP-capped on 3 different mechs of the same type, you unlock higher tiers.
--

Energystream
Premium
Ridgewood, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
I am really torn between getting the Catpault SRM/LRM Boat and going for the Awesome. One of the reason is that I share equipment between the two, but more importantly I share the pilot skills between the two and can unlock them faster.

Having the mix of SRM/LRM while less effective long range, is not totally screwed close range. Either way I am a way off in C-bills, might be a week or so before I get up to 10 mil to give me some buffer.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
I paid for the DDC with the premium credits I bought last September. I think it cost just under 4200 MC, or 10mill C-bills.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Energystream
The Awesome is the best LRM boat in the game. There's no reason to be hasty just so you can do a bunch of things mediocre.

The Cat is an amazing SRM whore though. 6x SRMs.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
Also, if you go with the LRM boat, it doesn't take that long to deck it out. The only upgrade I picked up was double heat sinks. There's no room for armor or endo. Just strap on 4X LRMs and shove ammo in every spot that'll fit.
--

Gevurah

@verizon.net
reply to Krisnatharok
I've been leery of posting because well, I have bad memories of doing earthlink/Spring/Embarq tech support on this forum in a company sanctioned environment.

That said, MWO trumps that :P

You guys came in at a good time. Most of the crappy bugs have been ironed out, there's still some general wonkiness but it's pretty sorted now. The devs are doing meaningful fixes every two weeks and content is coming at a steady rate. We'll see the first beginnings per their timeline of community warfare (faction vs faction) mid-end of April.

Side note: I'm FRR. I convinced arch to go FRR. FRR in a nutshell - Non-douchy space vikings who actually run a representative government vs most of the fascist/aristocratic garbage of the rest of the IS.

We also can plan on getting our butts kicked the worst by the clans, which are due to invade in Nov/Dec. Good news though - that should mean early access to clan tech which is OVERWHELMINGLY awesome.

A little about me:
Long time RL friend of Arch. Ask him sometime about where the name comes from :P
Huge long time mw/BT geek.

My unit:
»clan.ihostinghq.com/1sthussars/

I haven't opened up applications but if you want to join, are over 25, and generally on nights hit me up. Note: It *WILL* require a faction switch to the FRR. Read up on them at sarna.net if you're interested.